Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official Vintage Torque Fest Thread May 3-4, 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolstuff, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Try living in nyc area and then go to Iowa there is a huge difference I'm population and I'm driving 1000 miles and we are gonna have a great time!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I stayed in Dubuque last year. Loved the fairgrounds, but understand it was outgrown. Dubuque has a nice fairgrounds and the community sounds like they have embraced the event and the participants.

thanks for working so hard to help the kids with heart ailments

3. Your rite bob

4. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

See ya on Thursday

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by coolstuff [​IMG]
    and I have already been getting emails asking where the location is....
    here is the address:

14569 Old Highway Road, Dubuque,
    Iowa, United States, 52001

For those of you that think this is out in the middle
    of no where........here are some distances:

Madison WI -
    miles
    Des Moines IA - 199 miles
    Rockford IL -
    miles
    Peoria IL
    (home of the Bombs Away Bash) -170
    miles
    Cedar Rapids IA -
    miles
    Rochester MN -
    miles
    Joliet IL -
    miles
    Milwaukee WI
    (home of the Cheaterama)- 178
    miles
    Waterloo IA -
    miles
    Albert Lea MN - 2
    miles
    LaCrosse WI - 12
    miles
    Ohare Airport - 1
    0 miles
    Beloit WI -
    miles
    Galena IL -
    miles
    Maquoketa
    IA - 31 miles
    Quad Cities (Davenport IA / Moline IL) -
    miles
    Wayland MO (home of the Rust Revival) - 1
    miles
    Morris IL (former home of the Hunnert Car Pile Up) - 1
    miles
    Symco, WI (home of the Symco Shakedown) - 2
    miles

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    kokomo IN- 346 miles, planning on it john.........roadkings
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    How could you forget

Antigo Wi. (Home of Bob K) 243 miles

B:eek:B

5. Master of None

Master of None

Been to all 3 looking forward to the 4th. Handed out the first fliers for Farley, Ia and watched it all grow with a grin. Its a great cause regardless of the location. Cant wait to see old friends and meet some new. See you there John......I'll be looking for the guy in the bibber's and straw hat!

6. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Bob - you are totally correct about the city - they understand that by getting people to come from out of town (like Hot Rod Ed) they will spend money in the hotels, food, gas, etc.
    When we proposed the open header parade that kicks off the show in downtown Dubuque on Thursday night.........
    people immediately told us we were crazy since there is a loud pipe ordinance in the city............
    I called my contact at the Chamber of Commerce and the very next morning we got a call back stating that ordinance will be waived for our event city wide from Thursday - Monday.
    So not only are they helping get the word out with their advertising, they are getting ordinances put aside for US!
    They want us there...........
    I should also mention how great the Dubuque County Fairgrounds crew have been as well. EVERYTHING we have asked for they have said yes. Move that fence? Yes - we will do it.
    Place a giant barricade there? Yes we will do it.
    They are even moving a giant electrical transformer for us.........
    this is going to require about a full day of labor.
    But they are going the extra mile because they want this to succeed.
    Both the fairgrounds and the Chamber are doing their best to work together with us to make this the best Torque Fest ever.
    All we can ask is that you come out and see for yourself.

7. iarodder

iarodder

Ya know, I went to the swap meet this weekend in C.R. and talked with John. I'm glad I bumped into him, his enthusiasm is unbelievable! I'm glad he asked me to come join in on such a great cause, and i'm excited to know its in Dubuque. My wife and I make the 3 hr drive to Dubuque at least once a year, and now I cant think of a better reason to come up, it's an awesome town and it is my first time for Torquefest. I look forward to the journey, and meeting new people. As well as seeing old friends. Thanks again, see you on Thursday for the cruise!

8. THE SHOW STARTS THURSDAY ? NO WAY

9. iarodder

iarodder

Thursday is the cruise thru down town, and some of the vehicles that are indoors are going in that night so they will already be inside the building out of the way for Friday a.m. cars to come in...

10. I liked it in Maquoketa also because it was close for me. I will not drive my car a hunnerd plus miles each way and put that much wear on my very expensive engine,clutch combo (primarily a drag car) 600 lbs. open valve spring pressure,very expensive clutch/p-plate combo,$700.00 rear tires etc.) and to be honest,I fear having trouble that far away with my stuff....I will not tolerate a bunch of guff over my decision!

11. von zipper

von zipper

Last year we stayed in one of our customers motorhome 2 blocks away from the grounds. We had so much fun!!! This time were in one of the hotels.So, now we will be rubbing elbows with more fellow rodders!!! My Buddy is my copilot in my car since he sold his. I just hope to get my Galaxie finished so I can surprise him,cause he thinks we're taking my Ranchero!! I'd rather cruise in the big car!!! Plus,I think it will be rt20 all the way from Elk Grove Village! So a nice back roads ride! ( anyone want to join in,let me know!) planning on leaving Friday morning. PM me or just post! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365995224.995080.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365995255.628326.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365995360.568711.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365995388.868540.jpg

12. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Beautiful Galaxie I hope to see it down there!! Keep an eye out for me in my 53 Ford.

13. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Dave! So glad you're gonna make the trip out to Torquefest! Can't wait to see you and the Chemical City Coupe!!!

For those worried about the show losing it's 'small town charm'....this show is about people, their cars, great music, art and friends getting together for a great cause....its a great vibe that won't be lost regardless of location. If ya dig the small town charm...take a little time to see the sights in Dubuque, go to Galena, IL or visit Dyersville, Maquoketa, Prairie DuChein, Macgregor....plenty to do to suit everyone!!!

Hot Rod Ed, Bob K! Lookin' forward to seeing you fellas!

redlineracer42...I can't say I blame you, man. I hope you'll consider driving your daily and at least come enjoy the show!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  14. von zipper

von zipper

Thanks! I'm going rt20 because there is some bad roadwork going on on 90! My friend that does a route for Fed X warned me its nasty with no shoulder for miles!!!! So if there's a accident it's gonna be a major backup!!! I drive for a living also!!! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!

15. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

thanks for the heads up on 90!!!
    did not know about this.

Look forward to seeing you man - Galaxie or none

16. von zipper

von zipper

90 west from Chicago John! Rt 20 may take a bit longer, but Id rather not get stuck in that! A few weeks ago it was a multi hour backup! It's only one lane! They closed the other side! So it's one lane each way!

17. slammed

slammed

18. von zipper

von zipper

Here's what I'm talking about! Eastbound 90 widening from Rockton rd to the Wisconsin state line! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366007378.720124.jpg

19. von zipper

von zipper

Here's the legend ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366007669.633764.jpg you can look it up on I 90 construction.

20. Tanks Todd! I might make it there with a buddy and his fresh 500 hp 67 ragtop Camaro (more of a roadtripper car).

21. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And remember that Dubuque is easier to spell and pronounce than Maquoketa is.... well.... maybe just slightly easier!

22. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

My wife went through there last Saturday and it was down to one lane N and S bound.
    She did not even have a single car backup.
    That was Saturday - I suspect that most traffic problems the are during going to and from work.
    Don't want people from major metropolitan areas to think there will be traffic like they are used to!
    ha

23. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

This is the right attitude man - just come on out and have a good time.
    We have special parking for my buddies $60K Chevelle and your Camaro and other muscle - this special parking is totally separate from the daily drivers (mini vans, Kias, etc)
    Thanks man! I really think you will have a good time.

24. loose1

loose1

Pulled the car out Sat. Got some cleaning done. I just need to do a little maintenance and we'll be ready to go. Hopefully the snow will be gone and maybe a little warmer. See you guys and gals there.
    Matt
    [​IMG]

25. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

I can't wait to see all these rides in person.

26. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Got the beater out for a little test drive. Still working out some things but hope to make it.

Received my camping registration last week so I will be there in something.

Attached Files:

27. There's traffic in Iowa?

28. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

the traffic concern is on I-90 between Chicago and Rockford. Actually, just south of Woodstock, IL, home of Iron Invasion.

I chose to avoid the possibility of a problem on Saturday by getting off onto Hwy 20 just West of Chicago and ran 20 West. Nice ride through some small towns.

taking 20 will avoid a couple of tolls and for sure the possibility of a bad traffic situation.

you make the choice

29. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I also recommend that you stay off of I90 from Randall Road in Elgin heading west. It is a mess like others have said. Rt. 20 will work for distances west of Rt. 47 and it is a nice drive.

Friday morning some of us may meet for early breakfast at Allen's Corner on Rt 20 about a mile west of 47. Great breakfast at an ol time cafe.

Let me know if anyone is interested and we could caravan from there.

30. Tin Can

Tin Can

"So a nice back roads ride! ( anyone want to join in,let me know!) planning on leaving Friday morning. PM me or just post!"

There will be 3 or 4 of us leaving Friday morning west of you. Maybe we will meet up with eachother on 20