Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Official Chrysler Flathead 6 W/ Dual Carbs Dual Exhaust Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Six Fix, May 12, 2016.

1. mrdodge

mrdodge

The reason for the T5 is....I have one. A833's aren't thick on the ground here...nor are they cheap. I realise there is no such thing as a "straight swap" & I have heard conflicting stories so definitely doing the research. Thanks for the info on the A833 though, you never know what might turn up.....

2. carbking

carbking

fordkustom and Johnnyr13 like this.
  3. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mind if I play? I was in the process of cleaning up the engine in my 54 Dodge C1 w/ a 6 cylinder flathead. All was going well until I thought I would check the compression as I was in the process of changing the plugs. The things have a 7.2-1 ratio when they are in good shape.

My results-
    1- 74 psi
    2- 72 psi
    3- 69 psi
    4- 0 psi
    5- 68 psi
    6- 66 psi

I didn't bother with part 2 with a little oil in the cylinders. It looks like I now have a 5 cylinder motor and the cost of playing poker has just gone up. I can see the piston going up and down as it is cranked. My guess is a valve stuck open and I'm hoping the cam is not ground flat.
    We'll see...............

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  4. I am installing a chrome head,edmunds dual intake, langdon hei, and a t5 in a 38 plymouth.

[​IMG]

so now my problem.... I fired it today and started adding water. it has water shooting between the block and head in the front. I think I might have the wrong head gasket?

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy likes this.
  5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Saw theses old Chrysler Fentons for a 213-23- flathead on that web site some time ago.
    Fenton Chrysler 218 230 Flathead 6 bangers.JPG

6. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

@glendale did you swap the head or just have the original chromed? Because you have a head without the bypass and a gasket with it. If the block has the bypass and the head doesn't it will leak.

Latigo likes this.
  7. @dumprat I pulled the head last night I have a head with the bypass and block with out. I tapped send plugged the head it's going back on when I get off work.

8. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

That should fix it. You could also just drill the block. I am going this route putting a 54 head on a 37 block.

9. Been running this setup for the last 4 years now on a daily basis, still makes me smile every time I fire it up. 218, Edgy head and intake, 2x Holley 94's, Fenton headers going into 2" dual stainless system. Pertronix ignition.
    image.jpeg

55Deso, Jose perez, burnzy37 and 4 others like this.
  10. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Lookin good Tommy, and the head has a vintage/antiqued look to it, and it is not that old being an "Edgy"...

11. Math

Math

Run a dodge 250 engine in the 70's, stock internals, 10 deg extra duration home built extractors and twin SU's, stock drive train. Run best 1/4 time of 17.50. Red line was 4500 rpm and would do that to top gear. Car only had 30 mph brakes though.

unclescooby likes this.
  12. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

30 MPH Brakes????
    Sounds like a quick old flathead, with a cam profile change these engines can spin up a lot higher than 4500 rpm. Getting up 5500-6000 rpm can be done.
    What kinda car, got any pics of it and the engine?
    I am always interested in old souped up Mopar flatties....

13. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

I have a 230 in a antique pulling tractor. It can hit 5500 rpm's with out any problem. The cam profile lets it level out at between 4000 and 4500. If you are going to run these engines at elevated rpm's. You need to modify the oiling system. They are prone to burn out rods 2,3,4,5. Don't sell the little 230 short. LHud

HotRodTractor and Flat Six Fix like this.
  14. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

These are great engines aren't they.
    The short 28/230 engines have off set rods, so more issues with them spinning then the long blocks I take it.
    Cross drilling and deeper grooves on the bearings is a must for super high RPM. A good friend has a wicked 265 race engine, it'll spin north of 7000 rpm

old crank likes this.
  15. Latigo

Latigo

Great thread. Always like to see other flat 6's. Mine is a 36 Plymouth with a 41 engine. Converted to 12 volt with alternator. It's in the shop for the winter and will get headers and duel carbs for spring. Plan to convert tranny to a A833 when I can find a good one at a reasonable price.

Attached Files:

16. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Love it, let me know if you are in need of a high quality Asche made adapter plate for the A833 conversion...

17. choptop4

choptop4

Dose this count ? It was a flathead.....

Attached Files:

• ohv.JPG
      ohv.JPG
      File size:
      36.4 KB
      Views:
  18. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Well it sure does, but this is in fact an Edgy F head conversion ( about $5000 worth_.
    Have a look at this video, this car has this engine and a super charger...

desertdroog and Drewfus like this.
  19. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Math can you let us all know the details of the car and engine? Do you have any pics of it, especially racing?

20. choptop4

choptop4

I know .He's a friend.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  21. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

I am friends with Tim Kingsbury of Asche and Kingsbury. Great guys, George Ashe is a fountain of knowledge with these engines....

unclescooby likes this.
  22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I' still trying to find info on how to hook up my Ellis intake for dual carbs. Any info guys?

23. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

What type of info? carb linkages info?

24. raff23089

raff23089

Great thread. Subscribed.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  25. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Carb linkage for a truck, 42 Fargo. I need to make adapters turn mount the carbs ninety degrees from where they are now but how to make and mount a bell crank system to operate both carbs. There are also a couple of threaded holes in the Ellis manifold that may be for coolant to heat it or perhaps vacuum. All ideas are welcomed!

Deez28 likes this.
  26. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Post up some pics, and PM Hitek, on this forum, he can help you sort out the linkages..

27. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Thanks for all the flathead info. I finally got a windshield for my '59. This car only has 42k original miles. I'm hoping I might find a neat head.

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      299.2 KB
      Views:
    Flat Six Fix likes this.
  28. Math

Math

Car was built in the mid 70,s it is a 1939 Dodge sedan with stock 3 speed transmission and 3.9 rear axle. Only went to the drag strip to have a bit of fun and was expecting to run a 19 second time but it was able to run mid 17's all day. The brakes were also stock so slowing down was a challange.

Engine was a out of a 1942 truck with 3.7/16 bore and long stroke. Engine was stock inside apart from a 40 thou over bore and the cam which was an old grind that had 10 degs more duration. The valve ports were cleaned up a little and a smaller chamber cylinder head of a 3.3/8 bore engine fitted. The exhaust extractors and inlet manifold were home made. The extractors were 3 into 2, the primaries were the same dia as the exhaust ports about 18" long dumping into 2" dia secondaries and then into a single 2" exhaust. The carbs were 2 1.1/2 SU's borrowed of a mini Cooper.

The engine was always fumy probably due to bore flexing.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  29. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Your car shuld have the 132 hp 230, ? Glad you found the thread, want to make this threa a long lasting well informed one...PS enuff of the Ford flatties, Wally Mopar is revvin up

Kool, now how about some pics Brother, do you have any? just a FYI, your engine would have been a 3 7/16 bore, 4 1/2 inch stroke to be a 250.6,also 201. 218, 228, 237, 241 were all truck engines in this time period, some were short blocks (USA), and in my homeland all long blocks...

30. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

choptop4 have you got any pics of your set-up, any comments on power with the F head conversion