Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. I don't know there Ric 2 races down and I've only been in 3rd gear twice :confused: The damn thing wouldn't go in 2nd two passes back to back at Steel In Motion. :( Not to worry though as Jerico is fixing up a V-gate trans right now. Hope to have it in by Knoxville. I'm bartering out the Hightower to my electrical contractor LOL.

55belairx2 likes this.
  2. Maybe it was the track prep? I've been to tracks where one lane sends me off to one side and the other lane it goes straight.

powrshftr likes this.
  3. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Going to double check that today but a quick look did't see anything.

4. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

You might be right, because it wasn't a track at all, it was a blacktop road.

powrshftr likes this.
  5. That's a really good point Tony. Zettle, if your Falcon is a new build, things can take a settle too. Sometimes you need to go back and reset the suspension after its initial outings. Definitely check the rear shocks too. Some of the less expensive ones have cheap valves, even plastic ones, an they can go away unexpectedly.

6. DOH!

Zettle Bros. likes this.
  7. HA! That's what I told Marc last night. We're heavier by 450-500 lbs. and down 100-150 hp, so if we cut the tree down, make a perfect pass, and you put it on the deck lid handle, back peddle, and miss a gear, we might win by the hair of our chinny chin chin.

8. LOL me and Gabriel both found out these cars on plain old black top head for the nearest ditch

9. No lie! Ditch Witches. Every time we make a chassis tweak on the 56 (hopefully for the better) I still pucker my butt, and shut one eye when I drop the clutch.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  10. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

He's got a hemi in the engine compartment and another one in the trunk, and we're still 450-500 lbs heavier but only down 100-150 hp??? Dang!

We could always just sling a little of yesterday's chili into his lane and he'll be skatin' all over the joint! :D

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    powrshftr and Dog_Patch like this.
  11. Powered by Carrillo !!!

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hey Deuced be glad I am not showing up with this to throw down with you. 20160521_134525.jpg

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

Dang James!Is that another one you built?it looks like you're tri-lingual:You speak Mopar,Boss 9,and Big Chivvy too!I bet that one makes some steam...

Scott

55belairx2 and Dog_Patch like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Yeah this guy want to be the big dog at the car shows.

15. WHOOP, DEY IT IS!

16. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Well....The Muncie is back together. Picked up the new pressure plate and other clutch parts at The Hot Rod Shop in Rockford, this morning. Now all that's left is to bolt everything back together.

As far as the 59 GMC......The body work is finished on the cab, doors, and front sheetmetal. The box is in getting some paint, and the glass starts going back in, Monday. It's already been started for the first time, but there's still quite a bit to do.

17. 55chieftain

55chieftain

First good pass with the new combo resulted in a broken flange in driveshaft and sent the driveshaft off in 2 seperate pieces. This happened crossing the finish mine also, bad thing to happen at 120 mph. No real damage to car and no one was injured by my flying parts

Didn't readust my rev limiter either and was up against that quite a bit but should reach my goal for this combo. Just need to get the Dana and new chromemoly driveshaft in.

Dog_Patch, 62Furious and powrshftr like this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like it must be making some power.

19. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Just getting started dialing this in, I was hoping the driveline would hold out till the Dana is done. I sold my other top end so had to get it back together with what I had. My combo went 9's in a lighter car. Not bad for some old steel heads.

20. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Thanks for the replies guys. I know that a road is a different animal than a track so will see in a few weeks when we go to Byron for the Headsup. Went for a cruise last night with the wife. We went to a brewery in a near by town that is about 15 miles away. Car ran and handled great.

powrshftr, Dog_Patch and 55belairx2 like this.
  21. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

I just saw on Facebook that Ric has Yesterday's Weather running...I think he may have even thrown a barb at a certain Austin in that video...

Ric - The car looks great! I do have to ask one thing...what is with all the pretty purple on your carburetor? Did you pick that to match your bra or what?

22. Ya I know. BRE builds the baddest carburetors on the planet, but I need to give them a couple pointers, on the "vintage look". I'm running a factory HP air cleaner base, or a spit patoon (velocity stack), to less foul on the Meltdown vipe.

bigmikes50chevy and Okiedoker like this.
  23. powrshftr

powrshftr

Mine look like they came out of a sewer someplace.lol
    They should be making some noise by this time next week,though....
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464015987.651906.jpg
    Dyno time booked for wed,June 3rd.
    I will keep you guys up to date with a play-by -play video/photo montage of the little 289 working its magic.
    One of my Native buddies suggested I call it "The Dream Crusher"....Sort of a play on words with 'dream catcher',but I told him "Nah.....It's just a lil ol 289.....How scary can it really be....?"

Scott

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The only thing missing in this picture is all the jets,squirters and gaskets need to dial them in

powrshftr likes this.
  25. Smoothy

Smoothy

Should be able to determine this week whether or not I'll be able to make the Meltdowns this year with the 56. Going to have my "mentor" go through the front suspension with me and determine whether or not this thing will be safe at 100 and above. If it's not I'm going to just put the straight axle on the car and do everything once while it's already all apart. If I don't make it with the 56, I'll still be there with the 57.

powrshftr likes this.
  26. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Smoothy,
    Don't let all these straight axle gasser guys corrupt your mind......that thing would make a cool Jr. Stocker.

II FUNNY, Torkwrench and powrshftr like this.
  27. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Wednesday June 3rd? Do you guys have a different calendar in Canada or are you talking 2017?

powrshftr and enloe like this.
  28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scott, your carbs are like most the of us guys on this thread, we just have to keep reminding ourselves it is not what we look like, but what is on the inside that counts!:p:p:p

29. Smoothy

Smoothy

I agree, luckily I have the 55 chevy truck axle which will allow me to keep my stock frame rails, allowing me to always have the option of going back to stock suspension. It'd look something like this Screenshot_20160520-182605.png Screenshot_20160519-083017.png

powrshftr and Dog_Patch like this.
  30. powrshftr

powrshftr

I've got about 11teen dozen gaskets,jets,squirters,and pump cams in the trunk of the ol heap:)

Scott

saltflats likes this.