Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

Damn.And Bill burns off an entire 30 round magazine on full auto as soon as he opens the door!
    I'll be needing some ice,cause it BUUUUUURNS!!!!

Scott

loudbang, 55chieftain and saltflats like this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sometime we are are own worst enemy.

62Furious and powrshftr like this.
  3. powrshftr

powrshftr

I fall into that trap often James.

62Furious, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1460861770494.jpg
    Well I think we are ready. We spent 12 hours today knocking out a final checklist about a mile long to fire the Austin. I am sure we left something out...big party tomorrow...

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Tick tock
    Man I need to see this.

powrshftr likes this.
  6. 62Furious

62Furious

Tick Tock
    Can't wait to see the duce rock

powrshftr and saltflats like this.
  7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1460926057326.jpg

Attached Files:

loudbang and Okiedoker like this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Great photo op
    Don't see no smoke

9. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry.. app is acting up. It fired up...I think you boys are in trouble! Video coming...

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Now that is what I want to hear.

11. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Yup

Had it all put down ( ready to post ) ( Picture and all )

Read it and concluded ( that would be a really dumb thing to do ) :rolleyes:

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Maybe I should have said I am my own.

13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CRANK UP THE VOLUME!:D

We did a quick check for leaks etc. then fired a second time and ran the temp up to just over 190 to seat the rings and then turned her off for the day. How about all the hi temp VHT we burned off the headers. So much for white. They do have a nice roasted marshmallow color to them though! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Gammz, Dog_Patch, powrshftr and 7 others like this.
  14. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Sounds nice and crisp :cool:

Scotty ( think we are in deep trouble ) but dont beam me down to Ford land. :eek:

Deuced Up! likes this.
  15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. But honestly the big question is will it go straight for any amount of time.:D After we fired it one of guys there said, "...man I hope you can get this thing to hookup. It may not go anywhere!" I laughed and said, "Yes but it will be the funnest no where I ever went!" :p

16. loudbang

loudbang

AH the sweet smell of fresh header paint burning off usually means a fresh start up. :D

Deuced Up! likes this.
  17. 62Furious

62Furious

Man, now that sounded sweeeet!!!

18. Maybe.

19. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Who is this guy? Ric who?

20. Saxxon

Saxxon

And so it begins...

The trailer is out of winter storage - that's a fancy way of saying - the snow around it has melted and the locks thawed.
    The Scout has been pushed into the garage and the great thrash to be ready for Meltdown has begun.

All the carburetor, electric fuel pump and rear mounted fuel tank related stuff - out
    All the mechanical injection, fuel pump and front mounted fuel tank related stuff - Going in

Alternator, 6AL control box and billet distributor - Out
    Don Zig Super mag 3 (with Super 4 upgrade) - Going in

C-14 fuel - Out
    Alcohol - Going in

21. powrshftr

powrshftr

Can't wait to see the Scout in an alcoholic rage Davey!

Scott

22. I just moved 61 thousand pounds of cars, kids stuff, China, crystal and potpourri 2500 miles east, and am currently digging out from under the Grand Tetons of moving boxes .., I'M NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH RIGHT THIS MOMENT BUZZ ALDRIN!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  23. Saxxon

Saxxon

Love this line !! - If it wasn't borderline socially unacceptable I would seriously consider calling the Scout "Alcoholic Rage"

Seriously though... 3 evenings of dismantling the Scout is giving me some insight into what needs to be cleaned, painted and replaced. Something long overdue. This is also my year to replace a lot of SFI stuff like the flex plate and trans shield so this gives me a chance to do this. I'm also adding an engine diaper for safe measure.

Got to see my new Magneto for the first time yesterday - very cool / pictures coming of course... It's taller than expected so I may need to make some changes to the firewall bulkhead I built 8 years ago. Not a bad idea anyway... it'll make life easier in the long run. I'm also concerned about the clearance to the blower... it'll be tight !!

I pulled the blower yesterday and was greeted with a small puddle of 90 weight sitting on the gasket... my old aluminum lung is still leaking... No surprise but it brings back thoughts of upgrading to a real alcohol blower, maybe even an 8-71... Money, common sense and my lack of need to go stupid fast is keeping these thoughts as just that - thoughts. I would be very very happy if this thing went 10.50's in the heat at Meltdown...

Of course the weather has changed for the worse... +20 c yesterday and -1 c this morning with a high of 9c. Cool and rain for the weekend... glad I got time on the Scout when I did. I'll use the cold and damp Saturday to make the 3 hr round trip to the border to pick up my fuel tank and assorted parts...

24. several companies make a front drive conversion for your mag. they are very common. they can be very helpful. if you need some sources for one pm me. as far as 10.50 it should do that with a few wires off the engine.

fast30coupe and loudbang like this.
  25. powrshftr

powrshftr

Got together with my oldest Son today,and decided that we're going to put the car together with the new rear end,new Trans,but the old motor,just to get the clutch broke in,fuel system built,and the bugs out of the electrical system before the new motor is done,so all we have to do is yank the old motor,and drop the new one in when it's done:)
    Got my slightly smaller 28x9-15" slicks under there today,and slid the Trans under it;will finish bolting up the crossmember tomorrow night,and just leave the bellhousing side hanging on a couple ratchet straps til the motor goes in.
    This will give us a head start in reworking the shifter mounting plate and linkage so I can reach it too.As it is the shifter is about 10" too far forward for me.

26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1461463682201.jpg
    Same thing going on here. The High School in my home town along with city police have agreed to allow me to use the huge school parking lot to start breaking in the clutch tomorrow. We stuck the mufflers (so to speak) on this afternoon to be in compliance with their request. We tuned the car a bit Friday and installed the throttle cable so she is ready to take a few baby steps tomorrow!

wingnutz, 62Furious, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  27. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Don't worry Jeff,I'll settle for showing you the way to the finish line...;) lol

30dodgeboy and Tickety Boo like this.
  29. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. powrshftr

powrshftr