Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Uncle Russ had a blast takin' that ride! First time he's ever been down a dragstrip! 10.77 is a pretty good ride for your first pass! Glad he was able to experience it! Thanks for lettin' him borrow your helmet Jeff! He's a speed junkie like the rest of us but most of his speed fixes came road racing those 2 wheel crotch-rockets.

saltflats and loudbang like this.
  2. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

saltflats and Tickety Boo like this.
  3. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Marc

It was great to meet and talk with you. The Child runs strong and fast and the fact that Ric was always wrenching gave me the impression that even more was there.:rolleyes:

Very Cool :cool:

Norb

4. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Great to meet and talk with you too Norb! Thanks! We were happy to knock better than 3 tenths off the car's best time and think there may be another tenth or so left in it with this motor. The clutch only had 7 passes on it at the beginning of the weekend so it's still seating in and we were chasing the adjustment a little bit throughout the weekend. It worked well with a normal burnout and line up and go, but still pulled the motor down some. If we did a dry hop or anything that put more heat in the clutch, it blew the tires off. We took some clutch out of it Sunday and that's when Ric made the best pass of the weekend. We were also playing with wheelie bar height and front end limiters. We had raised the wheelie bars an inch since last time and made limiters for the front suspension, and the first 2 passes the car did some pretty big wheelstands. The first pass was the big one and it was headed right so Ric had to get out of it. It ended up coming down a little hard and bent the front shock mounts. We decided to lower the wheelie bars back down and loosen the front suspension back up to minimize the wheelstands and keep from bending or breaking anything so we could race the rest of the weekend.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Well as I post this the GTO is officially dead. Brother went to start it yesterday morning and said it wasn't running right at start up then would idle up to 2000 rpm and then die. Thought maybe a fuel issue. Went and pulled the plugs to see if they were wet and #3 cylinder plug was smashed on the end. Only thing he could think of was a valve went. This weekend the rebuild starts. It won't be a full one at the moment, we have to be out of our shop by the end of the month but this winter the rebuild starts.

loudbang likes this.
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well that is never good.
    Hope it's not to bad.

loudbang likes this.
  7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

It just gives you a chance to go bigger and better

loudbang and Zettle Bros. like this.
  8. 55chieftain

55chieftain

That sucks, time for a 455 or at least a stroker kit in the 400 block. It its a stock bore 400 I have a stock rod and piston if you just need to get it back together.

9. Perfect time for a blower upgrade.

10. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

loudbang likes this.
  11. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Bored .30 over

12. Jeff, since you loaned Russ your helmet, I wanted it to feel at home, and did my best " Fly'n Giraffe" leave.., Green.., one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi.., Eric, do you copy.., is it ok to leave now.., copy?

30dodgeboy, 55belairx2 and loudbang like this.
  13. PS. Jeff, you went 10.88 with a passenger, we went 10.77. Next year, on Sunday, we gonna have the " Passenger Nationals"?

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Norb this wasn't me best run but check out the reaction time.
    20160821_134910.jpg

15. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Living on the edge :cool:

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  16. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Took the head off the block tonight. Found that #7 cylinder's intake pushrod was bent. Turned the head over to find that the whole face of the intake valve was gone. Where did it go? We did find some metal on the floor from it being shot out of the exhaust. Looking at the block with the intake off Steve says " Hey I found where it went". With a needle nose pliers he pulls the face out of the intake port of #6 cylinder. It was bent enough that the piston pushed it through the intake port, shot it through the tunnel ram and into #6. Oh and yes the face of the piston is really beat up.

17. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Where they the factory 2 piece valves? Now is the time to replace all of them and get the .100 longer Ferrea ra iv length valves and go to a taller installed height for more lift. Butler Performance has them all listed out on their website. My 670 heads went from 1.650 to 1.900 IH with some machine work and offset retainers

Zettle Bros. and loudbang like this.
  18. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

The head is a '67 143 Pontiac. The valve train is from Butler.

loudbang likes this.
  19. altered59lark

altered59lark
    from cincinnati

hey meltdown guys my friend ryan pope with the big iron 56 chevy and I are going to be building a little crossly gasser to hopefully have at meltdown next year. But we are in need of fenders and a hood for our project. We prefer 1949-1951. Let me know if anyone knows of anything. Living in Cincinnati we thought it would be easier then what it has been seeing they were built here. Thanks again!!!!

30dodgeboy and fast30coupe like this.
  20. ARNIE

ARNIE

Hope you keep the Crosley motor!!!!

loudbang likes this.
  21. altered59lark

altered59lark
    from cincinnati

did not come with one we just bought the body

22. ARNIE

ARNIE

I can cure that!!

23. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Hey Scott you still alive haven't heard from you in awhile I found this picture of you and was just wondering if you are ok

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

I second that Jackson.

I even left him a voice mail and he didn't even call me back...

25. Saxxon

Saxxon

Put it on Nitro !!
    I can see it now... 2 ft flames shooting out of a Nitro Crosley motor with a vintage Scott blower and a Hilborn single port injector in a straight axle Crosley...

The cool factor would never be more epic in something that would be slow

loudbang likes this.
  26. Saxxon

Saxxon

Hey Norb... I would be remiss if I did not thank you for your numerous offers of hospitality at the Meltdown event. I saw a few of those mouth watering burgers wandering by and will always regret not accepting the offer for one. I even wandered by Friday night but you were off socializing (the second best thing to do at Meltdown).

Next year for sure bud...

loudbang, 30dodgeboy and Tickety Boo like this.
  27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Jeff maybe Scott is waiting for a new chapter in his life.
    He not going to respond tell the 2017 thread starts.

loudbang and 30dodgeboy like this.
  28. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Dave

And Thank You for the ( Kokanee ) Glacier Fresh Beer, I gave it a good home. (Belch):D

Yup, missed out on Brat paddies from Rayborn's Meats in Brillion Wisconsin :rolleyes:
    (Good Stuff ) ask Scott and his Dad ;)

Next year (God Willing) will bring Some Wisconsin Cheese along with those Brat patties.:)

loudbang likes this.
  29. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Saxxon I too want to thank you for the kokanee and norb those brat patties were fandamntastic thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  30. Saxxon

Saxxon

Drool ... !!!
    I'm not terribly upset as I passed on the burgers to make room for Mike Belina's Tacos with home made guac and salsa... of course the cinnamon apple pie for desert was a great way to chase it all down... and maybe make you a little wobbly on the way home...

loudbang likes this.