Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

Dang thing has burned me about 16 dozen times....The rest of the time it's just shining directly in my eyes.lol

So today we got the motor in and bolted up to the trans,shifter and linkage finally...well..."finalized"lol!
    It sits pretty nice just the way it is,so I'm going to save those springs I got from Alex (RIP) for another time.
    Once the carbs,clutch linkage,alternator,headers,radiator,hood,etc are back on,it should sit just about level,maybe a 1/2" nose-high,which is a look I really like:)
    Getting really excited to have the old car back running!:)

Scott

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Got to get the Go Pro showing your face on the first run bet you be smiling bigger than a punk in boys town.

Tickety Boo, bigslim55 and powrshftr like this.
  3. powrshftr

powrshftr

4. He'll be happier than a fat kid eat'n cake!

5. powrshftr

powrshftr

That one hits a little too close to home...lol

30dodgeboy likes this.
  6. powrshftr

powrshftr

So the brakes went to shit on the tow rig...Gonna spend half a day fixing that.Dammit.

7. 62Furious

62Furious

Scott that motor looks great between the fenders, but I can;t help but hassle you to keep you moving; time is getting short. Hopefully you get more than 5 passes out of it before you brake. You are a better mechanic than I .

powrshftr likes this.
  8. powrshftr

powrshftr

I'm just happy to have a car to work on,and an amazing Wife who is understanding enough to not make a big deal out of it when I come home late and stinking like gear oil,while she was home all day taking care of the Baby,cutting the grass,getting dinner ready,taking care of a million of the little jobs around the house that I should be doing,but I'm too busy getting the car back together....Honestly I'm blessed.

Scott

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

On a scarier note (yes,even scarier than the wrath of my Wife),I just wanted to warn you guys about something that snuck up on me last night,and could have injured me more seriously,or maybe killed me if circumstances were slightly different.

When getting the engine in the car and aligned properly to bolt up the trans,it seemed like things were a little more frustrating than normal.
    At one point,my Dad said "Did you raise that jack under the bellhousing?"
    Nope.
    "Then this damn cherry picker must be losing pressure.Watch your fingers back there."
    Sure enough,the hydraulic cylinder on the engine hoist was slowly losing pressure,just enough so that you could barely notice it over a half hour or so.

I took note of this,but didn't really think much more about it,until a couple hours later,when I had crawled under the car to finish tightening all the motor mount hardware.
    The motor was still on the hook,taking all the load on the cherry picker and not sinking the front suspension...or so I thought.

Things started to seem real claustrophobic right about the time I tightened up the last of the hardware,and it became apparent that the car had sunk at least an inch or two since I got under there,taking up all the clearance I needed to get this big spaghetti tank on the front of me out from under the car.
    Very awkwardly,and somewhat painfully,I began my escape the squashy place,and once my ribcage got stuck under the frame rail,fear and rage took over to get me out.
    When I started to go caveman and shove and lift the car to get myself out,I did all kinds of unpleasant stuff to my hands,arms,and also my ribcage.
    When you lift that thing off your chest,it's going to come right back down,plus a little more,as soon as you let off.
    It's so sore just taking a deep breath right now,that you wouldn't even believe it.

Use plenty of jack stands,don't work alone (my Dad had gone up to the house to have dinner),and never ever trust hydraulics.
    If that leak would have been faster,and my head or chest would have been under a low point like the oil pan or something,I might have been in a world of trouble.

Luckily,I just look like a stupid asshole telling the story,instead of a dead or mangled asshole who had a car squash him.

Scott

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You play safe now Scott
    I lost a good friend from a car falling on him.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  11. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

It's a shame that a certain mid-west AA/G group has to be exposed as the fraud that they are. No one should be disqualified for running a little too quick in a AA/G "show". Their cars are beautiful and for the most part look like they came right out of the 60's. But it is what it is and they are a big part of what's wrong with the AA/G resurgence. When some people cannot compete with the Nostalgia AA/Gassers, Their egos get the best the best of them and they become self promoting. Then it isn't racing anymore, it's all about the show.

12. powrshftr

powrshftr

I thought it was all about the show...?

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

Remember fellas,it's all about fun;both for the spectators,and for the racers.
    No prizes,no money,no pressure to empty out your bank account to stay competitive.
    Just the reward of putting on a great show for the folks in attendance,and hanging out with good friends.
    Really looking forward to seeing this supercharged cars run!They ought to be a real sight!:)

Scott

Falcon Gasser and saltflats like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am up for watching them all run fast or slow like me.
    And everyone should be proud of what ever they bring.

bigslim55 and powrshftr like this.
  15. powrshftr

powrshftr

I agree James,and you know,it's funny,because I was just thinking about how much I regret not putting more carb,bigger headers,and a 4.56 gear with the old combo to wring a little more out of it.
    I'm going to be really happy with the car this year,but it feels kind of hollow,because it has kind of taken over my life,and I've dumped more time and money into it than I really wanted to.

I really love building stuff myself,and it just feels kind of empty that I had to get help from somebody else on the motor since I was working so much...

Scott

bigslim55 and saltflats like this.
  16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It does seem real easy to get carried away but for me the money thing always keeps me in check.
    That's why I am always doing all the small things to make it better for what I have to work with.

And Scott you are blessed to have your dad there to lend a hand and to give advice. You can't replace that.
    I would trade all of this to have mine back.
    But I carry on as he would want me to and try to make him proud as he was of me.

bigslim55 and powrshftr like this.
  17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Okay didn't mean to get all sappy
    Scott now its up to you to find what your engine builder didn't.
    Then you well know it's yours.

powrshftr likes this.
  18. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

A Nostalgia AA/Gassers member is putting up $1,000.00 for the group to race for. These guys race for real. When you race for real you don't have to proclaim that it's all about the show...you are the show. I wasn't trying to start trouble. I was only elaborating without mentioning names what Deuced Up said because, I know who and what he was talking about. Maybe he will be able to race with them guys. If you have never seen the Nostalgia AA/Gassers before, you're in for a treat. And no I'm not a member. I have a '48 Austin Dorset I was going to build to compete with these guys until I lost my lively hood to a back injury and a broken hip.

saltflats likes this.
  19. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

The boy and I have been doing some test and tune.found out I need some stops,or heavier springs on the rear left a few beauty marks on the wheel well,fighting off idle lean issue. And evidently the gas gauge doesn't work.

Attached Files:

loudbang, powrshftr and Finn Jensen like this.
  20. bigslim55

bigslim55

Like the pic of your car! Looks Clean & Simple, nice job!

powrshftr likes this.
  21. bigslim55

bigslim55

Anyone hauling in for the Meltdown Drags may want to give there trailer the once over!!! I checked mine out today & front wheel bearings were bad, plus noticed that bolts in leaf spring eyes didn't look like they were sitting right. Replaced 4 bolts & bushings so far. You'll see in pics I avoided a disaster... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I always look at my trailer shit man my pride and joy is riding on it.

23. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Don't only think about the trailer guys look the tow vehicle over real good cause that can be a real disaster too ask me how I know two weeks ago I wrecked my tow rig because of a broken tie rod thankfully I'm ok and good friends have helped me still be able to make the trip I know we are all bustin ass to get our race cars ready but take some time and make sure your truck and trailer are all in good shape I don't want to hear about someone having the disaster I just went through not trying to be anyone's mom or dad lol but just saying be safe in all respects now back to the show lol My dragster is real close gonna set the motor and Trans in tomorrow morning I'll post up some pics tomorrow I gotta say it is really looking awesome

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

Had a good day/night tonight.
    Got new brake pads all around,and new rotors on the back of the tow rig,got a problem with the pressure plate squared away,got a problem with the shifter squared away,got the clutch linkage together,got the driver's seat properly located and got the back brace set for adjustment,,got the starter in,got the driver's side header on it,and pulled out all the bits and pieces for installing the 200amp alternator.
    It's looking like we're going to make it.I can't count my chickens before they're hatched,though....

Scott

25. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Took the family on the first road trip. Carbs pretty good.car handling great 30 miles from home pulling off the interstate to a gas station,heard something pop sounded like something fell off didn't see anything in the mirror.went to turn into the station brakes felt funny. Seen the dust cap on my RF wheel was gone.just at that time a buddy pulled in w a trailer and hauled us home.thank God it could have been bad. The spindle broke off! It was purchased new from Pete and Jake's. Now what

Attached Files:

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

Holy crap.
    It's lucky it gave out when you were going slow.
    Glad you and the Family are ok.

Scott

27. bigslim55

bigslim55

Finished trailer up today about 2:30... Had to replace everything! Both sides! Bushings & bolts. Equalizer bars & shackles that connect leaf springs to equalizer bar...
    Trailer pulls so nice & quiet now I hardly know it's back there! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

loudbang, Dog_Patch and fast30coupe like this.
  28. bigslim55

bigslim55

Holy cow! Glad you & family are ok!

29. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Hey guys/gals..... At our last outing over at Eddyville we had some trouble with the starter. Yeah the ears broke off and effed up the flexplate. Fast for way today we got the trans dropped and the flexplate off. It's all jacked up. Upon further inspection it seems we have been running a 28oz imbalance plate for close to a year now!!! Our power plant is a 5.0L ford. Needs the 50oz. And we are running small 157 tooth bell.
    Hoping speedway here in town can help us tomorrow. While we have it apart I'm wanting to put a small stall in 2000-2500. Hoping speedways will work with the flexplate they offer. Otherwise it's it's online and shipping....... Just wanted to vent.... If any of ya got a good stall/flexplate combo tell me!

30. powrshftr

powrshftr

Whoa,pump the brakes here Man!as long as the damper and flex plate are same balance,you are fine.If they were mismatched you wouldn't have been able to drive the car.The vibration would be that bad.
    I ran my 5.0 motor with an FRPP 28oz damper and Ram billet steel 28oz flywheel and it ran really nice.
    Just replace your existing parts in kind,and get er back on the road.Dont listen to some parts counter guy who's going to get you all effed up.:)

Scott