Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Official 1959 Chevy Apache Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Feb 17, 2010.

1. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

No matter what happens you shouldn't have an issue getting rid of the 4 eyed fenders. One of us will haul them off for you :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Buzznut

Buzznut

I have a few 58-59 fenders and hoods...just not sure what shape any of them are in because they've been sitting around the back of the garage and I haven't bothered looking at them really close in years.

I want one of these 55-59 pickups as a 4x4 and personally I think the dual headlight trucks make better looking 4x4's than the single headlight trucks.

3. dew468

dew468
    from Austin, Tx

I love the 4 headlight look, plus they only had fleetside beds in 58/59, except for a cameo. i'm using a 57 frame for my 59 because it was given to me already sandblasted and in primer. I will have to make new bumper mounts, but no biggie there. I sure like seeing all these threads on these 55/59 trucks.

4. Buzznut

Buzznut

I'm not sure that's completely true. A good friend of mine bought his '59 Apache NAPCO 4X4 new and it has the stepside on it. He claims he's never done anything to the truck but paint and interior a couple times.

5. dew468

dew468
    from Austin, Tx

I said that wrong. the fleetside that was made for those yrs,58/59, were the only fleetsides besides cameos 55/58. they made tons of stepsides. these beds were a 2 yr only bed, so beds sides are at a premium because of the 2 yr deal. I got lucky and found a second bed in good shape for mine. otherwise I would be in for some heavy bed work. sorry for the mix up.

6. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Totally agree. There is something about the quad lights and the hood that make the 58/59 look tough. I love them! I can't remember if it's someone here on the HAMB or over on the 67-72 board, but they have a quote that has become my favorite...."I pity the fool with only two headlights" :D

7. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I saw a really nice fleet side 4x4 in my area once. Not sure who's it was,never saw it again. I did have a chance at a napco fleet side about 6 years ago for 1000. Just don't have the room

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. 1959apache

1959apache

I agree with you guys on the dual headlights and 4X4's and think you really need to get one Buzznut.

I think you are right Sax about the frame, but thought the difference was a little more like 3-7 inches longer for some reason. I thought I read that somewhere...

Good news guys, I am wrapping up things on my new daily driver (the '64 C10) and that means I am back to finishing the interior on the '59, when that is done I will do some preliminary checks and tune in the engine a bit more then I am off to my first car show in it! Looking forward to it.

9. riley58

riley58

I actually just filled in the gas filler hole and i am attempting to do the smooth dash from brothers trucks. the welding of the dash panel is much harder than i thought due to i have only been welding about a month now. you sure make welding look easy!

10. Not much to look at there.

11. 1959apache

1959apache

I was thinking the same thing :D

I was admiring my work last night and really got to looking at the apache since I haven't worked on it in a couple weeks (needed a break). I really admire that it is all my work and no one elses and plus this thing sounds and looks just plain mean. I fired her up and lordy it sounds just outright evil... I love it. So that empowered me to work on it this evening in order to weld up some of the firewall holes and get this interior ready to go. I had already purchased some POR15 where I cant get to some spots with my wire wheel and will do the floors in this. I will clean up the rest of the interior paint on the dash and door jambs and will need to get it prepped for some black epoxy. Once that is done I am going to throw the interior in it and drive it. Man I am eager just to walk home today at lunch and not come back :D

12. dubie

dubie

would you have a picture of the back of your gauges and the light switch after you wired it? I'm wiring my 56 right now with a Rebel kit but could use a little help in this area

13. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I like what you are doing to your truck, should be a fun driver. Funny thing, noticed you have a 40 plymouth. I am just finishing building a 59 Apache 1 ton with a good friend to park beside his street rod... a '40 dodge! What are the odds?

14. 1959apache

1959apache

Yeah I can try, what do you need to know. A diagram so you can put everything where it should be?

15. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks!

a 40 dodge is a beautiful car, really rare, it's a small world!

16. dubie

dubie

yes sir. I'd like to know if I hooked the light switch up properly and how the entire dash wiring goes together

17. 1959apache

1959apache

I started working on removing the battery and stuff in that area so I can plug up the swiss cheese on that side of the firewall. I already have my blanks cut for the holes and just need to weld them up. I need to probably have the wife give me a hand with it... looks like I can't do it easily myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As requested the pictures of how I have things wired. Let me know if you have questions dubie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. dubie

dubie

thanks for the pictures eh. I can tell by your light switch that I have a couple wires in the wrong spot. That 3 prong near the front of the switch, is that a ground you're running off of that? And for the gauges, do you have a power wire and then have them individually grounded? And I assume all the lights are spliced off of 1 power wire

19. Buzznut

Buzznut

I did it all myself (however half-assed and inept a job it turned out to be) and it was a PITA. Welding magnets help as a third and fourth hand. I would use the magnet from the front whenever possible, tack a couple spots and then move it so i could weld the rest. An extra set of hands helps for sure...

Also, how in THE HELL did you contort yourself enough to get that shot up under the dash behind the gauge cluster?! I think I would have either pulled a muscle or got stuck doing that myself. I've been thinking about setting up a mirror system so I can work on my wires while the radio and cluster are still installed, otherwise I have to remove everything. Laying on the floor, looking up, trying to squeeze under that dash....I get nauseous just thinking about it.

20. 1959apache

1959apache

I am going to use a brass rod as a backup and that is how I won't burn my wiring that I have installed. I tack mine in without doing any of that though, but will go through and have the wife back it up when I seam it up. I am using a small magnet to get them in place for me to tack them, but that is about it. I use a tiny screw driver to move the blank around until it is flush, it seems to work really well.

And to let you know... the kama sutra books came in handy :D:D:D

21. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Nice wiring job,

I have original wiring schematics and a repro ones from when I re-did mine. If you guys are interested pm me and ill send it to you. Or I can just scan and post it here.

I can also make a drawing of how I have my push to start button set up on my dash.

22. dubie

dubie

that would be awesome Gail. I was planning on putting a push button in mine as well

23. 1959apache

1959apache

No the black wire that is attached to the three prong portion of the light switch is heading to the dash lights, the thin red wire is going to the triple gauge set under the dash (also for lights), and the white wire is going to the tack. I still need to clean everything up, but just got it roughed in so I could drive it.

I will be popping out the gauge cluster and other things pretty soon, as soon as I get the firewall welded up so I can start stripping the rest of the dash in preparation for paint and interior. I can get better shots of everything then.

24. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks, its still a bit messy under the dash, but it is getting there.

Might as well post it here, I am sure more than one person needs these, so might as well not keep it a secret.

25. dubie

dubie

awesome stuff man, thanks again for all your help

26. 1959apache

1959apache

You are welcome

I didn't answer your other question. The gauges are grounded, it appears, through the actual cluster casing... I did not run any additional ground wires that I know of for this, I just ran power and hop scotched to the gauges that I was actually able to use. All of the wires that you see in the picture that are black are for the dash lights, when they are removed the whole back of the gauge cluster looks surprisingly cleaner

27. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Thanks guys I will post here and add to my album as pictures as well. My wiring was scary I was starting off a "hot" in my head lights and I had splices everywhere. I picked up a kit from classic parts of America because I needed a solid harness to start from. Not bad for 250 but I needed to tweak it a bit.
    Push to start was very easy to set up. I don't have access to a scanner today but will scan and post tomorrow.

28. Sin7

Sin7
    from Wylie TX

Looking real good brother

29. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Very simple to setup push to start.
    The way I have it the ignition switch is what provides the "hot" cable to the button. If my key is in the off my starter will spin but she wont fire up. Key needs to be in run for juice to engine.

Attached Files:

30. 1959apache

1959apache

So you don't have a spring loaded start switch right?