Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Official 1959 Chevy Apache Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Feb 17, 2010.

1. 1959apache

1959apache

Yes I am reusing it, it is fine and hasn't been damaged. Most of the work I have been doing has been on the floor away from the glass or under the dash. I block the glass more or less with me being in the way, so if anything it hits me. Also, I made sure that I didn't put the wire wheel in a position to let loose one of the wires to do that damage you speak of by going over smooth panels when it was newer. I inspect everything after I am done and it is fine. Thanks for your concern though.

2. the seat looks great...also nice dog!

3. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks! I am really eager to get the seat back in and drive the crap out of this truck. Of course I need my co-pilot :D She has been breaking in the seat for me by laying on it (good dog lol)

4. 1959apache

1959apache

I started by wanting to get some patterns moved to the passenger side and I decided to try it first with the rear view mirror. The wife had fun with the marker when she came out to hand me my camera and a couple things I forgot inside.:D

[​IMG]

Copied over:

[​IMG]

and what it looks like removed:

[​IMG]

5. 1959apache

1959apache

So Ummmm... yeah... The holes in the roof were hiding 1/8" to 1/4" thick of bondo and messed up holes. I will need to flatten everything out and get it close that use the torch to fix it and get the oil can out of it... I am just going to have to grind most of it flat so I can get it done... Son of a.....

[​IMG]

And the wife decided to be in this one lol

[​IMG]

You can see how bad it is, but I roughed a lot of it out with a hammer and dolly... This will be the hardest part on the hole interior of the cab and you won't necessarily see it because of the headliner and it is on the roof... but good practice none the less. :D

My little T-rex arms can't hammer and dolly that far apart unfortunately. So she will have to come out to help me before it is all said and done, she said she didn't mind

I spent the rest of the time cleaning up the garage (5 44 gallon trashbags full of crap) so I can prepare for my new pickup that I am going to get this weekend with the wife. It is even her birthday this weekend and she is excited for me to go pickup my 1964 Chevy Truck as my daily... it will cost me later... while she shops for clothes..............................

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  6. 1959apache

1959apache

I got a lot of stuff done out there tonight. I will post some pictures tomorrow. Stay tuned

7. riley58

riley58

looking real good. all your hard work keeps me going on mine !!

8. dubie

dubie

staying tuned..............

9. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks Riley58, I keep looking for more pictures of yours and I don't see much. Are you doing anything cool on yours?

10. 1959apache

1959apache

You're.... mocking me... aren't you? :D:D:D

11. 1959apache

1959apache

Well I started on the truck right after work out in the garage yesterday and today... first time in about 6 months back to back. I worked several hours doing misc. little crap all over the place... not really picture worthy, but I did snap a couple shots of other stuff.

The rotten spot on my floor just kept getting bigger despite me hitting it with a hammer and screw driver and chisel to find the soft, thin spots. So it wound up originally looking really good and then turned to shit quickly, so I will just grind it down and be done with it... it will be under carpet and no one will see it anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then started grinding welds and taking care of the rest of the floor behind the seat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I summed up the night with working on the roof and I actually got the passenger side holes (since they are closer where I can reach using a hammer and dolly) really close. I even got the oil canning out of that side of the roof and got it stiffened up enough that I will finish it up and weld that area. The drivers side is still being a pain, but I got that closer. Tomorrow the wife is going to help me get it so I can weld those holes up and start prepping for paint. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Keep pluggin away dude. Lookin killer

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

13. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks Green, I am going to try to get back out there this evening. I was working on cleaning up the garage and squeezing the '64 in there last night and recovering from a massive hangover induced by my wife's birthday and a 1/2 gallon of crown royal. :D:D

14. My power steering and shock conversion completed, and my engine and tranny crossmembers completed and bolted in.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Lmao, birthdays and st pattys in a couple day span !?!?!? Recipe for disaster there lol. I like your 64 dude, super cool truck. i wish i had to make room for more toys !!!!!! Hahah, sadly i dont know how long the truck will stay once its finished. Ive always wanted a 30 or 31 on deuce rails with radir 12 spokes and pie crusts outback..... The trucks not even done and im already planning another build lol, the truck will be my daily once its done, but the temptation to use the cash off the truck to build what i REALLY want is sooo tempting lol. any updates on your plymouth ?

16. 1959apache

1959apache

Her birthday is st pattys day, so that makes it double the drinking on Sat night/Sun. My liver hurts.. :D Yeah I was under the '64 last night and from the cab back it is pretty much new, just needs some love. I am going to replace the rear shocks tonight and start taking the rear brakes apart. I think the E-brake is hanging up on one of them, either way they need to be replaced and adjusted. I would keep the truck for a little bit dude, it is cool, everyone has a Model A, be different. I don't even look at A's or T's at car shows anymore because they are all the same. I put the Plymouth on the back burner until I get the '59 Apache done and driving, which isn't far off, basically interior. My parents are selling their other yacht they were living on in Tacoma, WA and their house here in Indy and paying off all of their debts and with that money my Dad will want to get the Plymouth on the road... so that means new frame stub from Fatman and money starting to go into it again. I will do the work, just need to get the coin.

17. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Damn thats a deadly drinking day !!! Hahah. Yeah i was reading your thread on.the 64. Sounds really solid man. Good score indeed. Ill keep the truck for a bit, i really wanna run it to the roundup next year. And as far as a model a goes, i want a bare bones old school hot rod just built to run like a raped ape lol. Along the lines of dw or mike smith outta california hot rods.... Idk its just something ive always wanted. Most model a's are kinda boring, i just wanna build one that really RUNS. But the truck will definately stay for a bit, just dont know how long........

Attached Files:

18. riley58

riley58

looking good. I have a smooth dash that i need to weld in and strip the inside cab like you did but it doesn't look fun:(. maybe this weekend:D

19. Coty

Coty

you're a busy man!

20. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks riley. Its kind of a pain in the ass, but I got the cab knocked out in about 4 hours for everything that wasn't the floor, the floor took like 5 or more on its own because of all of the contours. I took that wire wheel to it and then took the 3M rust/paint removing wheels, which cleaned up all of the deposits from the wire brush. Be careful when using them though, they tend to let loose pieces of wire that can impale you and/or damage glass.

I am jealous of the girl in your avatar :D :D

21. 1959apache

1959apache

Yeah, trying to get this thing ready to go to a show or two this summer. I would finally like to drive it after 3+ years of working on it. I kind of took a break on it over the winter because I was out of work... I need to get caught up! I also just bought a '64 Chevy C10, so I have been trying to get that on the road too... busy busy

I did pick up some POR15 for the floors that I can't get to with anything, so I will be applying that sometime soon

22. Buzznut

Buzznut

As far as wanting to drive it, I'm right there with you...feeling the itch really bad.

A couple nights ago I couldn't sleep so I made a checklist on my iPhone of everything I still need to do, along with all my torqueing, fluid checks, zirc greasing, etc.. and it just about depressed me. I still have about 20 hrs of work...37 line items total.

23. 1959apache

1959apache

Yeah I hear you, I have a few things to do too, but the list is a lot shorter. I try to spend a minimum of 1/2 an hour out in the garage per night. It may not be a lot, but it adds up. 37 items though... jeeze. I have like 10, but have been working on it for 3 years, you don't have that much time into it, so don't feel bad :p

24. Buzznut

Buzznut

LOL, sure feels like a lot of time. 2 years is enough in my book. I did the math and came up with almost 650 hrs.

25. 1959apache

1959apache

Yeah, if I kept track of the hours I had into this thing I would probably drop dead of a heart attack. I don't keep track because working on it is my therapy for staying sane. Your truck is looking really nice though, when are you going to get started on it again so I can see more pictures?

26. Buzznut

Buzznut

Thanks for the compliment, but I really think it's looking just ok, no where near as nice as many of those out there. Some of you guys are doing top caliber work...mine is adequate at best. I really don't have the shop space or proper tools to do the kind of work I'd like.

27. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Shit fellas i wish my list was a whole lot shorter than it is. Hahaha i wanna drive this thing soo bad but im not even close right now lol.... Keep it up 59, the 64 is killer and the apache is comin along great dude. And buzz yours is gonna be freakin awesome when its all buttoned up man

28. Patrickjc

Patrickjc
    from Ontario

I am looking at a 59 just like this one, but I prefer the single headlight and the earlier grill style. Do you know if Chevy just changed the headlight pods to accept the dual headlight? or is the fender a completely different shape than a 57?

Many thanks

29. 1959apache

1959apache

The front clips are the same, minus minor changes, but should be somewhat interchangeable from '55 2nd series to '57. '58 to '59 are completely different front clips (grill, grill support, front fenders, hood, hood hinge locations on firewall, hood hinge, etc.) They could be interchangeable if you put a little effort in and get everything taken care of on the firewall for the hood mounting.

You should probably introduce yourself in the forum before you get a thousand people hounding you....

30. Yep, everything 1959Apache said is right. The frames are also an inch or two longer on the 58-59 trucks. The swap to an earlier front end could be done. It's just going to take a little bit of extra work. What, you don't like the bitchin dual headlights???:cool: