Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Official 1959 Chevy Apache Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Feb 17, 2010.

1. 1959apache

1959apache

I know I made a thread of my newly aquired pickup in around November, but I thought I would make a dedicated build thread just to the Apache and my progress on it. Pics of when I got it can be found at http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m177/utter_milk/1959 Apache/

I am trying to get it running and driving before I take it all apart again and make it look nice, so body work isnt far behind. Enjoy!;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  2. 1959apache

1959apache

Another post with pictures. My new radiator finally installed, ready for hoses, which won't be far behind. My power steering and shock conversion completed, and my engine and tranny crossmembers completed and bolted in.

Attached Files:

3. 1959apache

1959apache

Finally my last post for now of my steering column conversion out of a 78 chevy van. I had to do a lot of work on this column, but now its a done deal complete with the tranny linkage finally connected.:D

Attached Files:

4. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Truck looks good. Keep up the good work.

5. 1959apache

1959apache

redo on the firewall.. needed to move the pedal to the other side of the column.. then double backed the current sheet metal with a 14 ga. steel plate... that should keep it from bulging the firewall.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  6. 1959apache

1959apache

some body work to get the spare fender out of the way... it will look nicer when I get to the body work stage completely. I started the wiring too.... just so I can get it started...

Attached Files:

7. 1959apache

1959apache

Got a new set of wheels for my pickup so I can mount my new tires on them :) I almost have this thing ready to run and drive. I will be posting shortly with youtube videos of a first startup. I still need to fab the exhaust, run tranny cooling lines, get an electric fan and pre-oil it, then she is ready to go. Here is a couple pics of my new wheels... not bad for 25 bucks and they are only 1 month old.. the guy I bought them from had the reciept!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  8. 1959apache

1959apache

Making the exhaust! I got the drivers side welded up and still need to do the back half off of the muffler, but its progress. Thrush Welded Mufflers (Flowmaster clones) are what I am going with and 2 1/2 inch exhaust. I am going to make them exit under the step on each side far enough from the tire and body that they will not cause any problems. More to come soon :D

And yes I know the drivers side isnt clocked right, I just bolted it up for the picture

Attached Files:

9. 1959apache

1959apache

Just getting ready to fire up the pickup, Just need to wire this bad boy up, preoil and then ill be scooting around town.:D

The list I've done in the pics:
    1) new fan and relay system,
    2) dual exhaust w/ Thrush Welded Mufflers

Attached Files:

10. 1959apache

1959apache

Here are some more.

1) new tires on new wheels, mounted balanced and put on the truck.
    2) just sorting out and running the wiring so it looks professional and is easy to follow
    3) just got done with a lot of body work on the drivers side door. It was hit a guard rail and I think I did a pretty decent job if I do say so myself :p
    4) Finished running brake lines and sealed up the rear end, so as soon as it fires up and I break the motor in I can actually drive it around without any problems. (keep your fingers crossed!):eek:

Attached Files:

11. 1959apache

1959apache

Some great progress this week, I will be posting pictures and update what is going on with the build later today. So far my new gas tank came in, so I will have to fab some framework for it and secure it, electrical parts came in for the dash to make it look pretty (knobs and such), just trying to finish up the wiring on all of that. Also, I got my wheel adapters in for the rear end, I got my new tires on my new rims and balanced, working on getting them mounted on the vehicle today. All of the engine compartment has been wired, I just need to finish making it look decent and wrap the hide-away tube in electrical tape. The only thing that needs to be finished as far as the electrical goes is a little under the dash, everything is terminated where it needs to be, I just need to connect it where it needs to go. Thanks for looking!

12. 1959apache

1959apache

Here are some of the pics I was able to take tonight, more on the way tomorrow

Attached Files:

13. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Dude...You ought to invest in some chrome smoothies..they're reasonable and look..oh so good on these trucks

14. 1959apache

1959apache

Yeah I have been eying those for a while with some fat white walls. Keep in mind the brand new tires were free and the rims were 25 bucks lol. Its kind of a budget build for now :(... once I get it running and driving and at least have some primer on it I will get some. Do you know know of a decently priced place to get them?

15. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Trucks looking good bro...you can usually get them from one of the big magazine suppliers like Summit/Jegs/Speeway and I wanna say there way under hundred bucks a rim, they will be multi fit but look good either way!

16. 1959apache

1959apache

Thank you very much for the compliment and the info. Where does everyone usually get their white walls? I would like to get some that will last a while, but don't really know the vendors too well yet.

17. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Im running Silvertowns From Coker tire, try them out or pick up any Hot Rod mag and go thru the adds and call for details / pricing, good luck w it!

18. gofast62

gofast62

nice truck! i have a buddy that makes cameo sides for those! makes them look real nice.

19. 1959apache

1959apache

How do they ride? are you getting a lot of noise from them? any problems?

And thank you for the compliment gofast62, I appreciate it.. its getting there lol

20. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

sweeeeet.......i just sold my 58 , keep up the good work .. Chrome smoothies do look bitchin on em .

bowtie brown ......

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  21. 1959apache

1959apache

Well, I decided to put new pins and bushings in the door hinges because everytime I opened the door it would drop about 4 inches. So I blasted the hinges, primed, and painted them.. finally installed my pins and bushings and now no more door drop. Also, I decided to start on installing my under the bed tank. Enjoy :)

Attached Files:

22. 1959apache

1959apache

Man was that rear crossmember a pain to get out of there, but it finally worked its way out. I bolted the bottom of the rail that connected the leaf spring to the frame. It is VERY VERY important to do so, so remember to do that before doing anything else. You won't make it very far if you dont! You do have to trim the bottom inside lip of the frame rail 1/2 an inch, but it looks nice at least. I slid the tank in and it looks like something that would come stock. I am really enjoying this part of the project. Next on the list is to mount the L bracket between the frame rails and bolt this puppy in. Then run the line and put a new sending unit in and I won't have to worry about it again. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  23. ceugene2000

ceugene2000

Truck looks awesome so far. what type of tank is that?

24. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks! It is a 1966 ford Mustang 16 gallon fuel tank I am going to have to look into using a GM sending unit however so it looks like I will not only do a couple modifications for the tank to mount properly, but also make a hole for the GM sending unit I will have to use.

If anyone has any suggestions, short of replacing the sending unit let me know. I was just going to pop a hole in the top and fill the hole with a universal GM sending unit if there weren't any other suggestions.

25. ceugene2000

ceugene2000

im in the process of doing the same thing to my 59 but not sure if thats the best and easiest way.

26. 1959apache

1959apache

Well this, for the most part, is a budget build since I am transitioning into a new job and will eventually need to move. This by far was the cheapest way to go. $130 for the tank w/ sending unit to get to my doorstep. I do need to get a universal GM sending unit and poke it in the top, but don't foresee paying that much for it. <--(30-50 bucks I am sure)

27. 1959apache

1959apache

Well I got the major part of the gas tank project done today.. I welded an L bracket with the correctly placed holes onto the back part of the frame cross sill that was removed earlier to place the tank in its appropriate spot.

Soon I will drill 3 holes in the shock perch part of the cross sill right above the differential so the front of the tank can be mounted. I am getting really close to finishing this part of the project and am excited to fire this truck up.:cool:

Attached Files:

28. ELDANGEROSO

ELDANGEROSO

Well since I own a 59 Chevy Fleetside (longbed) unfourtunally I'm digging this build. What did you use to convert your 6 Lug into 5 lug? I like the set up your using and was wondering if this is something available or did you have it machined?

29. ELDANGEROSO

ELDANGEROSO

Also I'm watching this gas tank installation closely. Something I think I'm going to talking this year sometime. Keep up the good work and keep the post coming.

30. 1959apache

1959apache

I will be posting an update tonight or tomorrow of the completed unit and how it goes together. I did some work last night regarding welding nuts to the inside and outside of that cross sill and she lines up beautifully. The only thing I have left to do is pop a hole in the tank for the GM sending unit and fix the front 3 mounting holes.

Also, I got my ignition and light switches in and will be wiring them up here today or tomorrow... then running grounds and dropping a battery in. busy busy busy on this end... too many projects regarding this truck, not enough time in the day.

I appreciate you following the build and I will be posting pics shortly.

To answer your question they are from adaptitusa.com, I think they are http://adaptitusa.com/6x550to5x120wheeladapter-3.aspx but I would have to go measure the lugs again and convert them to millimeters. I did have them make the face that meets up with the drum a little different than they offer it originally to accept the hub and the flare of the drum around the axle hole. So keep that in mind. I will try to find that information tonight as well.