Register now to get rid of these ads!

Offical PIR/Portland Swap Meet Thread-April 8-11th 2010

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NWHotRodder, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Well I came over from Australia and had a great time, I walked PIR Thurs and the Expo Friday (after getting lost, then rying to figure out the parking sutuation) didnt buy anything from the PIR, but went back to the chopped down 32 grill about 3 times. I still cant get over that 32 5W that sold for 6k (so the seller told me). I bought a set of Roto-flo shocks (been waiting a long time for those) from the expo for much less than he was asking, great guy i bought them from too. Bought a few flathead manifolds and some spotlight little books. Over all it was a great swap, I could have spent 20k if i had it :) I took a bunch of pics.
    The hot dogs are kick ass at the swap :)

2. LOWMOTIONCARCLUB

LOWMOTIONCARCLUB
    from auburn, wa

should've said something...im not that mean...lol...but neways i was broke in the 1st 10 mins.... i just went to portland just to get some rims found em in 10 minutes and there went my money.....

3. Patrick46

Patrick46

^^^good post & ideas!!!^^^

4. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I also got up at three am and made the trip to be there at opening Sat.
    There was a ton of cool crap, just not much in A parts. I was a little bumbed about that. I saw a couple of A frames, both sold. I passed on a set of wide fives that were near the entrance of the first building..wish I would have grabbed them, they were gone when I went back. If I do it again, I'll be there at opening friday morning.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  5. daddylama

daddylama

went back today... got a bunch of shit.
    70s mini bike, complete, for $40.
    two mini bike engines, with clutches and such for $20.
    gravity band saw for $30.
    WWII era oxy/acetylene torch (i collect 'em) for $5.
    box of small block mopar stuff that said "free"

there was a running '68 dart for $500, at 1pm. i skipped on it because i figured the wife would be unhappy. got home, and she's pissed anyway, about the other stuff. shoulda just gotten the damned dart if i was gonna be in the doghouse anyway :)

6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

put my spider caps on today, washed the car and spit polished the cooler.

i'm stoked.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  7. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i'm just glad it's over so i can actually talk some sense into some of these craigslisters on some shit without hearing " no way, if you don't pay (x) i'll just take it to the swap and sell it for double...."
    :rolleyes:

now let's strike some deals again fellas, now that we're back to reality.

8. moses

moses

any one get a picture of it...jeffrey

9. daddylama

daddylama

there was a guy whom had an old chopper front end that i made an offer on a couple months ago... he had the same attitude, saying he'd take it to the swap and make a killing on it. was unsold today... he asked me if i still wanted it for the same i offered... i re-offered half what my previous offer was. brought it home.

there was a few cars i recognize from CL that had silly prices... and they were unsold as of 1pm today.
    that 28/29 A RPU with a headlight bucket for an air scoop and hammerite paint thats always for sale...
    the '55 chevy gasser for $22k... cool looking car, but steeeeeeep price for the build...

there was stuff that was expensive on friday, under 1/4 of friday's price today... and still going home with the seller.

but then things like that reasonably complete early 50s caddy 4dr for $1k. how that didn't sell, i don't know. the '68 dart i so wanted as a daily was unsold, and it being a V8 car for $500?

10. Half-Fast Motors

Half-Fast Motors

Had a great time as always! Sold all our gas pumps, some signs, lots of "smalls", saw lots of friends, drank beer, missed 2 days of work....good times. Did any of you guys see that green '40 Ford Standard coupe outside the expo center? Didn't get the guys' phone # off the tag on the car (think his name was Stuart). Bought a Weiand dual carb flattie manifold from the guy that had all the intakes on the floor in the expo center ( he seemed to know his stuff).

11. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

oh yeah, i know the one.

12. mckustoms

mckustoms

A few of my goodies I bought at the swap meet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Nuts

Nuts

A friend of mine took my early 28 Pheaton body down, he was set up on the track.
    Unless he sold it today, no joy for me.

the PIR and Expo are ran by two different organizations. Several local clubs own Expo and the PIR is run by the city.

That Marty cleaned out my coupe stuff two years ago, he does get around.
    Still have a sport coupe hidden, and I'm not telling him, let some else have a shot at it.

Nuts

14. Adam.Perrault

Adam.Perrault
    from Phoenix AZ

had to stop 3 different times to check out your wagon! freaking amazing!

15. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

there was a sort of root beer colored mercury montclair 4 door outside the expo that was for sale, didn't see the owner. anyone know who he is/how to get ahold of him? wanted to see if he wanted to trade that car for my harley.
    thanks.

16. rainh8r

rainh8r

It was a good weekend for me. Lots of folks think that you must get there before it opens to score, but you really don't. Since it's so big, and covers two separate locations, there are good deals every day. I started Thursday morning at 7am at PIR and then went up to the Expo on Friday, back to the track on Saturday, Expo again on Sunday. I found:
    great, solid, 34 truck cowl for $225 w/firewall and vent that I really needed.
    34 truck dash for $25
    nice early Edelbrock finned valve covers for $20
    57 Olds RF fender, mint w/great paint-$50
    17 1948-50 Hot Rod magazines for $70
    all the inner front sheet metal (behind the grille)for my 46 Chev PU for $20
    pair of perfect 49-50 Merc tail lights for my 56 F100 for $65
    complete set of 40 pedals, with clutch linkage and m/c bracket, for $45
    lots of small items for a couple of bucks each.
    I missed a few deals and scored a few, but overall had a great time.

17. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Spent four full days there, I think it was one of the best Portland meets I've been to in the last several years. I was happy to find an original 5W seat frame,and a late series '32 dash for the coupe. Found some Guide 682 C lites that had the bodies chromed. We sold everything I brought,but spent most of the money buying new stuff.

[​IMG]

18. LOWMOTIONCARCLUB

LOWMOTIONCARCLUB
    from auburn, wa

great finds everyone....

19. Jettback50

Jettback50

Saw that jacket. Pretty Cool, musta been just before you bought it.

Guess you didn't look in the right place. Thought you would call my bluff so I took a pic for ya!

Saw that leaving on Friday. Different but the trim kind of fought the lines of the car.

I had a good time. Met a few HAMBers and a few old friends. Picked up some stuff but didn't get anything for the trans conversion. Made a deal on a decent door on Friday that would have made the trip all worth it, but when I went back to pick it up, the guy told me he sold it again! Errr. I kind of understand how it could happen, they had something like 6 stalls facing 2 isles and about a dozen people making deals. But I gave him the money, my name, and a card, you'd figure that would be enough.

Oh well. Didn't ruin the weekend at all. Here is some of what I saw.

Attached Files:

20. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

21. scruff

scruff

Anyone get any pics of the 32 5-w body that sold?

22. 272sedan

272sedan

we had 4 booths at the expo, I scored a super clean 28 essex 3 window coupe at the race track, kinda cool it has suicide doors and rumble seat, also scored a nice snap on road box cheap, it will be a great custom tool cart, its gunna be a busy summer and winter.

23. phukinartie

phukinartie

I was a vendor most my stuff went for half of asking price except the stuff I liked
    took all of the money and bought stuff for my 442 He!He! walked half the track in 5 hours that thing has doubled in size from last year Good times for me!

24. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Yeah...one of my best trips to portland to date. Spent a small fortune and drug home a van full of stuff. Prices were refreshingly fair this year. One of my finds is this jacket patch...maybe somebodys heard of the "Independents"? johnny

[​IMG]

25. couverkid

couverkid

No pictures but I followed it in on thursday morning tried to deal with the guy he didnt know what he wanted for it. I made a offer and my friend ron ended up buying it.

26. Soreback

Soreback

Sold most of our stuff at the track to other vendors on Wednesday (move in day). Kinda surprised nobody bought any of the 4" Merc cranks and flatty blocks. We did notice quite a few folks from out of the country spending money like they had a lot of it. Had a great time. Never got to the Expo Center. I screwed up my foot trying to take off on my bike and the pedal snapped. Going to the doctor today.

27. daddylama

daddylama

anyone happen to know the seller of this and/or more info?

no idea what it is, but it's been bugging me. recall it was kinda cheap... kinda wish i'd bought it. (kinda like a lot of things at the swap)

Attached Files:

28. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

This is it , $6000 ..............

Attached Files:

• -6.jpg
      -6.jpg
      File size:
      113.5 KB
      Views:
  29. Jettback50

Jettback50

Here's another pic.
    54" wide, 48" nose to firewall
    46" long rear - He said it was a competition body. You make your own doors and chassis.
    I don't know, most of the kits I have seen were made to fit on a specific body, but maybe that is how this was made.

I might have more info. I'll look, finder's fee?

Attached Files:

30. daddylama

daddylama

sweet! do you remember how much he was asking?

i'd be willing to bet if i bought it, i'd have to sleep in it. wife is less than pleased with the number of projects i've purchased in the past year... none of which are finished.

finder's fee... ya like beer? (i work for a brewery :) )