Register now to get rid of these ads!

Off Topic Please dont bite! V8 Supercars Texas 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by radgirl, Sep 16, 2012.

1. radgirl

radgirl

So I nearly died and went to heaven! At a little country town called Comboyne in the mountains of Mid North Coast New South Wales Australia I saw a sign at a car show saying V8 Supercars Texas! So I googled it....... as I do, and its Fair Dinkum!!!!!! (True to you non Aussies) anyway I thinks I might just have to be booking myself a trip.

Its to be held in Austin Tx July 2013 and Im wondering is there any shows or events I can incorporate into my trip in the month of July? If not any cool things I should make an effort to see whilst in the state of Texas (or complete heaven as I see it....hello..... Coolest Cars, Guns and Ribs!!!)

I am open to suggestions :D

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like you don't have Speed Channel. Australian V8 super cars are usually V8 sedans (Australians seem to link 4 door cars more than two door cars) running on road courses. But a car race is a car race is a car race no matter what the cars.

3. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

I believe she knows that being an aussie and all. Not quite familiar with the location but I think her avitar shows that.

4. radgirl

radgirl

I know all of that stuff doh Im just trying to find out some cool car, bike things to do in July 2013 in Tx? or I could be all pure traveler like and just fly back to Cali for swap meets......which I was trying to avoid. Im not the tourist type.

5. Ruggie

Ruggie

The reason the cars are 4 door's is because it it a production class series that use Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore (GM Austraila) bodys and they don't make a 2 door option.

6. And soon to be some jap crap joining them

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Real V8 'Supercars' ended with the XD-E-F Falcon and VB-C-H Commodores, it's too over regulated now.

Doc.

*Edit*
    Hmmm, I guess this makes me a 'hater', I would not say no to a ride in one and I still watch every race!

8. Ruggie

Ruggie

I liked the days when you had Falcons,Cortinas,mini's etc, but todays racing is still good swapping paint like race cars should.

9. Yes, V8 supercars are a lot closer to a "stock car" than NASCAR is. The body panels are pretty well all production pieces. They can be fun to watch when Speed runs the events. But maybe I'm wierd, I liked Cascar (Canadian stock cars) too, before Nascar bought it up anyways. I haven't seen if they messed them up or not.

10. JEM

JEM

V8 Supercar is these days a 'spec chassis' series like NASCAR but more interesting. Maybe I'll have the '64 wagon together in time for a drive to Austin in '13.

The Ford and Holden product down there has evolved into more or less what Detroit might have been building had it not been for (a) CAFE and (b) snowbound Detroit engineers. Congress peed in the automotive gene pool and we got decades of wrong-wheel-drive trash. Of course, current gas prices aren't doing Ford and GM any favors down there right now anyway.

11. radgirl

radgirl

Thank ya! Yup i know all of the above stuff including Nissan using their V8 next year. BUT still doesnt answer my whats on in Texas Question geeeeeeeeeeeeeez and i get called a chatterbox. ;)

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

13. radgirl

radgirl

Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh My gosh !!!!!!!!!!!!! bahahahahaaha

Welcome to Australia BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

14. You really think you want to be in Texas in July.

15. radgirl

radgirl

I guess it's hot then?

16. Ruggie

Ruggie

That's funny the guy is crapping his pant's.If you can make it to texas next year it's worth a look i worked on a V8 super car in the 1998/99 series and they are every bit a race car.

17. Good luck,young lady;hope you make your journey.

A lap(OK;a LOT of laps) at Bathurst are on the bucket list. Incredible circuit from what I've seen of it;coming down Panorama looks like an ultimate E-Ticket ride. I do enjoy SpeedTV's coverage of the Oz series;for another thrill,watch the DTM(Germany-Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft) races. The cars are every bit as technical and trick as any Formula one car,and they treat 'em like it was a Saturday night demo derby. Jolly good fun!

18. George

George

Most of the course is public road, but a very low speed limit, something like 30 MPH, a buddy drove it recently while visiting Oz.

19. I too love the V8 super cars, and can't believe they will be in Austin.
    I can't wait, and Go Lowndes!

Its all about the eights.......88 and 888! ;)

BTW, there will not be anything Cool* in Texas in July.
    but, Austin is a great town and i'm sure there will be plenty of motorheads so therefore a party.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  20. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

In Texas, in July, it's hot. generally 100+ (F).

There are a number of guys in Austin, club nights, cruise-ins, etc but I don't know of any specific 'events' planned for July.

But remind me when it comes, and we'll do our best to make you feel welcome, if you decide to come to Austin.

21. AustinThunderbird

AustinThunderbird
    from Austin, TX

of course it's hot in Texas in July.. still a great place to be

22. radgirl

radgirl

Thank you :)

23. hudson48

hudson48

24. JEM

JEM

I don't think there's anything about Texas hot that the inland parts of Australia wouldn't smile politely at, even your area, but if you've never ventured outside Tassie or the Melbourne area you might have a problem ;)

25. George

George

26. JEM

JEM

When I 'drove' Bathurst a few years ago it was garbage-collection day, kinda incongruous to see trash bins put out for collection along striped curbing...

(yeah, the Bathurst Mt Panorama track is basically a loop road through a nice residential district, it's only a race track a few days a year.)

27. Diavolo

Diavolo

Uhm, summer in Texas is more like 120F. Rent a car with a/c. I'd offer a place to stay, but I am 12 hours drive from Austin and it wouldn't do a damn bit of good for you. Good luck with the trip but, no matter what, I think you will enjoy it. Continue to find friends in the area and get into the culture. Good luck!

28. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I don't know what a dinkum is, nor do I care to know, but there sure were a lot of high-end supercars in Austin last weekend. Two Lamborghini's and two McLaren's went past me on the highway. I followed them up to 100MPH but then I figured with my luck I'd be the one getting pulled over so I slowed back down.

29. radgirl

radgirl

Fair dinkum means genuine, true, to speak the truth. Hahaha because us Aussies are such a well spoken bunch ;-) I will swap the McLaren for mummy SUV. Not even my Aussie chick charm could sway that lol:D