Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oem seatbelts in a hotrod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by countrysedanman, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Does anyone know of any OEM seatbelts, 3 point retractable that are suitable for use in 50s car? Something where the retractor mounts to the floor or low on the b pillar, and somewhat compact. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.

Brad

2. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

67 galaxies have 2 point retractable belts. Idk when 3 points came about.

3. henryj429

henryj429

I have 3 point belts out of a 2000 Lincoln Continental in my 36 Nash. The retractors are nice and compact. Be sure to build in some good structure for the upper attachment on the pillar.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  4. chevyshack

chevyshack

Not tp take over your thread but if your car didnt come with seat belts do you still have to have them today? Ive always wondered that. My 52 chevy dosnt have any.

5. No,,it's just using good judgement to add seat belts. HRP

southerncad likes this.
  6. I think your onto something here, a 4 door car will have a narrow b pillar that Im looking for. I guess I will head back to the muddy bone yard soon to look. Thanks

Brad

7. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

last I knew Juliano's had new 3 point seatbelts available.

Devin

8. roddinron

roddinron

I've done it both ways, and found that it's better to buy new ones in most cases. Even if you find a set that will work, are in good shape, AND in the color you want, it's a bitch to get them out, especially when lying in mud in a junkyard with no impact wrench.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

We installed a set of 3point belts in the 32 3W coupe from an early 90s Honda Accord 4door sedan, used the seats too.

10. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

seat belts in hot rods depends on your states laws.In ct.if it's a "substantially modified vehicle" or "composite vehicle" it must have seat belts this law can leave you in a bit of a Limbo because what is "substantially modified"?A stone stock pre 65 car does not need seat belts installed.Now if for some reason you have belts in a pre 65 and your seen not using them you can and will get ticketed !Now I'm only saying what the law here is by all means install and use seat belts in your rides we all know they work.

Cosmo50 likes this.
  11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dont know the US laws but I will say something about seatbelts. Being an Ex-paramedic, Army Medic and now working in an emergency department you see some horrific things. If its a 'look' thing or because they didn't use them back in the day that you dont use them you are simply an IDIOT.
    Absolute and complete fool not only are you risking your neck but that too of any passengers that get in your car.
    For the love of god,
    put belts in your car.

12. Swifster

Swifster

Every state has a slightly different take. Cars built prior to Jan 1, 1965 are exempt. But as mentioned above, some states may still require belt usage in cars that have them. I know the MI law is just the build date of the car. There is nothing in their law to override it. Someone mentioned above that CT requires usage if the cars has belts even on older cars. You need to check the laws in your state for what applies for you.

Having said that, put belts in your car. If not for you, then for the passengers who may ride with you. I'm not a first responder, but being in the insurance end of things, it's not any better seeing hair embedded in the windshield.

13. I found some good canidates today from a wrecked 93 jeep wrangler. The retractor is compact, and the end of the belt mounts with the retractor eliminating a third hole to deal with. They even long enough to fit around my ever expanding self. Anyone ever use this setup?

Brad

14. roddinron

roddinron

Check the strap carefully, I have a 97 wrangler, and so does my son, we are constantly catching the belt in the latch when we close the door.

15. Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  16. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

ww2/korean war- fighter plane 4 point belts, and period correct.

i dont know about seatbelts in hotrods..... they arent anywere near as structural as a 60s and newer car..... it seems like youre almost better off being thrown from the car as getting hit in one. or eating the dash or steering wheel.

17. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

i run 4 points in everything that goes over 40 mph

18. Common myth, being thrown from the car almost always leads to a fatality. It has killed a few of my friends.

chopped and Animal like this.
  19. Ole don

Ole don

The parts that Julianos sells are very well made, and very affordable. If seat belts are in a junk yard, thats a great place for them to stay.

seb fontana likes this.
  20. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Another option is to buy new stuff. Try Andover Restraints. They have many different styles, and the stuff is very affordable.

21. streetf1

streetf1

in my 49 f1 im running seat belts from a 1st gen s10 82-93 there compact it has a self contained retractor that bolts to the floor and has a little trim cover over it super clean and easy to mount...and they came in lots of different colors

22. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that is a comment based totally in ignorance, you clearly don't know anything about the aetiology of a motor vehicle accident.
    The times that being thrown from a vehicle save you are freak happenings and are so rare that they don't record them statistics on MVAs
    (Motor Vehicle Accident)
    If you are smart(?) you will listen to the wisdom of the senior members of the board that have more life experience than you. They don't just want to piss you off, the are probably saving your life should you listen and follow the advice offered.
    Think of others first, then think of your self.

Doc.

chopped and lonejacklarry like this.
  23. 5window

5window

I second Andover Restraints. A good product,reasonable price and DOT approved. I would be very leery of junk yard belts-they are not new and you don't know what weather extremes or other abuse they have been exposed to. I'm using two point belts from AR in my Model A, largely because I don't really have the structure to safely locate the 3rd point.

Being realistic, being hit in a Model A will never be a good thing, but you would seriously be an idiot in every respect to get on the highway in any vehicle and not have on a seat belt. DocWatson is right (did I just write that?).

24. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

And likely no longer safe to use. Forget those for anything other than a display-only show car.

No way. There is a reason every single organization that sanctions auto racing requires belts in every car.

Do yourself a huge favor. Get good belts, install them and wear them.

25. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

countrysedanman. Good on you for planning to use belts. I'd consider myself a fuckin' idiot to ride my grandkids around without belts with harness.

26. I agree, getting hit in your model a or my poor old rusty 56 wag is not something I want to think about, but I really do not want my head and my steering wheel to become one. That is why I am leading towards 3 point instead of 2 points. I have a plan to mount the three points, just need to find some. Most everybody must have more money than me, a lot of the new ones are pretty spendy to me.

The only cheap 3 points I can find are not retractable, but that would really limit your movement correct? I would think they would not be as good as retractables.

Brad

UOTE=5window;4994882]I second Andover Restraints. A good product,reasonable price and DOT approved. I would be very leery of junk yard belts-they are not new and you don't know what weather extremes or other abuse they have been exposed to. I'm using two point belts from AR in my Model A, largely because I don't really have the structure to safely locate the 3rd point.

Being realistic, being hit in a Model A will never be a good thing, but you would seriously be an idiot in every respect to get on the highway in any vehicle and not have on a seat belt. DocWatson is right (did I just write that?).[/QUOTE]

27. Well I have a 6 month old baby girl Im pretty fond of so thats a lot of motivation, If I get splatted all over the highway whos gonna scare the first boy off! Thats my job you know. Im planning some longer trips this year and it always seems you see idiots on the road, so I dont care if they dont look traditional or not, but I will try to make them look clean.

Brad

28. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DUDE! DUDE! Thats it, that quote is getting tattooed across my back. I was right? I knew if I kept talking long enough it had to happen eventually.
    Doc.:p

Chavezk21 and Animal like this.
  29. 39 Ford

39 Ford

There are places to use junk and places not to use junk, buy new belts. Old belts can dry rot, be frayed etc. not worth the risk, and I am cheep.

30. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Put some in, at least give your passengers the option of saving their own life!