Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Odyssey PC680 battery (for the F1) – what's your experience?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The channel and section of my F1 leaves little room for a battery. Don't want it in the engine compartment and space under the bed is super tight with exhaust, driveshaft, gas tank, e-brake linkage, etc. (and I still want to use it as a truck so bed mounted coolers and clever stuff like that are not an option)

So I was reading up on small, dry cell batteries and I saw a lot of folks using the PC680 from Odyssey. In fact, haven't found a bad review yet. Small, powerful, win-win. So I plunked down my cash, spent the time building a mount and wired that sucker... and it would not turn over my old flathead. It's mounted upright behind the dash – super close to the solenoid and starter.

It has been recharged and load tested and it's all good so I'm going to give it another chance. (hoping it just wasn't fully charged when I bought it) The place I bought it has been super cool about it and is going to let me exchange it if it doesn't work. Just wondering if anyone else has had issues, or are you super happy with it? I would love it to work.

[​IMG]

2. I don't know why it won't turn over a flathead. I have one and it easily spins over and cranks my 348 Chevy with roughly a 9:1 combustion ratio. It also easily cranks my 302 Ford engine. Don't know what else to say. I have it under the seat in my 34 pickup so its not too far from the starter.
    Will a conventional battery turn it over?
    You check the starter?

3. Odyssey batteries, love 'em or hate 'em....

That's really too small for automotive use. With only 170 cold cranking amps, it's really designed for a motorcycle, or at least a 4 cylinder motor. A typical automotive V8 starter will draw about 250 amps, you really want to see CCA somewhere in the 400 amp range to guarantee starting under all conditions.

4. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

If every thing is good I think it should work, although I use 925's. Gary

5. Go with a metal -case PC925.... Not cheap, but well worth the money... IMHO

6. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, It's crazy. I knew going in that the numbers weren't right but with sooo many good reviews and really NO complaints I had to give it a go. FWIW this is the same engine I had in my little modified and I was running an Interstate lawn tractor battery with 145 CCA in that one – no issues.

I may just have to go with high CCA first and figure out where to put it second.

7. partssaloon

partssaloon

Where are you're grounds and what size cables

8. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a ground straight from the battery to the framerail – typical parts store battery cable sized. (2?) And two ground straps from the engine (actually from the bellhousing) to the framerail – and those are the typical 1" wide flat woven style straps. Paint is removed from under each and I'm also using star type lock washers between the strap and frame.

9. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Why not an Optima mounted on it's side...800 CCA!

10. I have one in the Pinto powered 29 RPU, works fine
    Also one I the 347 Stroker SBF in the other 29 RPU for 10 years now, also works fine.

I've also used a bunch of them on Harley's and they are MUCH harder on the battery than that flathead! The long stroke and odd firing order kills batteries and starters, yet the Odyssey's live

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  11. SimonSez

SimonSez

I would try using the battery from your daily driver and see how it starts with that - it will tell you whether you have a problem with the battery or something else in the truck.

12. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Not big enough battery cables. Gary

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

PC680 cranks over my stock 305 with ease in my 35, on the way out now and won't hold charge as well as it did when new. On second one now with over 5yrs+ service. Also under front seat as well. No accessories apart from radio.

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

When I built my 23 modified, I had no room for a battery anywhere. I ran into the PC 680, but had my doubts it would start the 350 sbc, so I called the company. I got the President on the phone and he said he is starting a blown big block Chevy with one in his car, so I should have no problem at all with mine.

I bought it and for the 5 years I had the car it never failed to crank it over, and the battery was clear in the rear of the car. It could sit for months and still fire it right up. At 7 x 7 x 3 inches, it is very small and very good, at the same time.

Don

15. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

I have one in my 32 pickup going on three years now, it lays on it's side, under the passenger side seat. There isn't a lot of reserve capacity, but it has started my mild sbc 355 every time I've asked it to so far. Honestly, I've quite worrying about it. Bought it on eBay for about $100 shipped.

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I had read good things about them and some other reports where they were not strong enough.
    I decided to go instead with a battery like the Braille 3121.
    Still a small battery, but with much more cranking and reserve capacity.
    I found a Deka AGM battery identical to the Braille in size and everything else for much less money than the Braille.
    http://www.braillebattery.com/index.php/braille/product_batteries/b3121
    http://www.federalbatteries.com.au/ETX30LA/
    I believe the Deka is made in the same factory as the Braille (East Penn) , but they will not tell you that.
    (The Deka can be fitted with the same bolt on automotive style posts as the Braille)

B3121_web.gif fit2bup285.jpg

54reno likes this.
  17. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

I have no experience with the PC 680 in a car but have had good luck with them in airplanes. I had one last over 5 years cranking a 10 to 1 compression Lycoming, even in cold weather it did well as long as I preheated the engine. I then used the same battery on a motorcycle for a year and it now sits on my workbench with a couple of leads for testing 12 volt circuits. I would buy another one without reservation.

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

With marginal size, invest in fat 6 volt cables...you can get stock for those at Brillman. And test to see there's no voltage drop through solenoid. Get something with some reserve! Body mods mean you can't get your handcrank in there!

19. dakotajayne

dakotajayne
    from 3c1

I love em. I use one in my airplane which has a 10:1 IO-360 Lycoming. Then both hot rods with slightly less compression. Typically I'll keep one in the airplane for three years, three more in a car, and then it goes to my backup sump pump. 104$ from Amazon shipped. You can't beat that. The sump pump job is near nine years old!

20. flthd31

flthd31

Bringing this back up.
    Kevin, I was wondering if you tried anything more to get that PC680 working?
    This thread is one of the very few threads on the subject that never got resolved. You might try connecting your negative battery terminal directly to the engine preferably close to the starter.
    Any update?

21. Nocero

Nocero

Love mine.
    It's about five or six years old now. it sat on the shelf for at least two maybe three years and in the car about the same.
    It hasn't been driven a heck of a lot in the last couple either. I've never had to charge it and starts every time.
    I did use heavier cables and I have an ignition cutout switch for hot starts because I have a lot of compression and locked out timing
    Although it's not needed it still rolls it over just fine

22. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I have one in my roadster w/Merc Flathead located in the rumble seat with American Auto Wire cables & kill switch - works great every time.

23. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I did find my hot wire from
    The solenoid to the starter was pretty crusty INSIDE the insulation. (Old old 6v cable).

So I went with all new 1ga cables, (battery to solenoid to starter and battery to frame rail) rechecked the grounds everywhere, added another ground from the frame to the body and am nearly finished rewriting both the ignition loop and charging system.

Rebuilding carbs tonight and plan to light it off tomorrow sometime. I'll report back – wish me luck.

24. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Odyssey PC680 batteries took several Hilton A coupes with varying engines from VA to Austin and back with zero issues.

25. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Been using the pc680 for a few years....... wouldnt think of anything else..... starts my big inch 9.35 comp ratio blown Olds everytime
    no problem on 10.5 to 1 hemi
    10to1 on the Nailhead
    9.45 on the Blown YBlock

26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

27. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I have a pc680 in my roadster and it has no problem firing up my highish compression 327 even after sitting for a while. I think it's great and the small size can't be beat. The only drawback is that the battery can wear down quick if you're in a situation where you have to keep cranking. I had a hot start issue for a while that I resolved, but that was my experience.

28. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I don't have my fuel line sorted but I did manage to dump a bit of gas down the carb and crank it over. Lit right off with no hesitation this time. New heavyweight battery cables definitely helped and there's still the possibility of it not being fully charged when I first bought it.

We'll see how well it holds a charge with my generator. I chased a lot of issues last time around so hopefully the same generator/regulator that ended up working before still does.

Bruce – I never figured out the crank before. Just had to park on a hill or enlist a co-worker to help push. (which I actually was able to pull off several times!)

29. flthd31

flthd31

That's good news...thanks for the update.
    Like you, I was seduced by the "small, powerful, win-win" aspect of these batteries. I shoe-horned one in on on my current build. The under floor tray is a "bolt in " so I can remove it if future problems occur.
    I haven't fired it off yet and was curious. Quoting you: "I would love it to work".

30. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm using a Braille 3121 with good success. But you need to get yourself a charger designed to work on a Gell Cell battery to keep it charged when not in use. All these Gell type batteries will die for good on you if you don't keep them charged with a proper charger.
    The Battery Tender Plus is about the most for the money I have found I wound up buying another battery when I was just out od warranty before I learned that. Bought a Battery Tender Plus and use it when I know it's gonna be awhile before I drive it again. No further trouble.