Register now to get rid of these ads!

Odins701 is in the hospital with burns over most of his body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5756r, Nov 19, 2009.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'd also like to extend my heartfelt prayers for a speedy as possible recovery.

I've got some personal experience with a very close car pal being burned in the Ford Rouge plant explosion a few years ago. He was burned so bad the prognosis was not good. The doctors put him in a coma for months while they did the grafts and his body healed. My buddy Jerry followed the doctors orders closely and after many years of therapy he is back out in the garage building cars, he's actually on his second build since the explosion and at the begining the doctors weren't sure he'd even be able to hold a screwdriver again. With hard work and determination anything is possible. The right mindset is key. If Odins701 needs someone to talk to I know my buddy Jerry would be there for him. In the meantime I will continue to pray for him.

2. McDeuce

McDeuce

My families thoughts and prayers to Odin and his family.

good luck & god bless

3. I'll get on this myself and I will add him to the prayer list at my church.

-Ron

4. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

thank you to the mods for keeping this thread open, People on this site are unlike any other site i've ever seen, even with some of the fighting and bs that goes on, when it comes down to it, when someone is down like this, we step up for them. That used to be the spirit of this entire great country, and here it's still alive and well. :)

6. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

prayers from the Reed family!!!!

7. 5756r

5756r

There is an update at post #191. In short, he's doing really well....this post and all of your replies and prayers, adding him to church lists and prayer circles is POWERFUL!!! I'll be giving another update on this coming Monday, the 30th of November.

Thank you all!!! Check out some of the work by " pintriping by Chandler.com " he's doing custom panels with another striper to put in Odins Hospital room.

I appreciate all of the responses to this posting and will be printing out all of the new posts since #151 for his wife and daughters. They have come to call them the "Book of Prayers" and his daughter tells me that they all read it. I'm in tears at all of the support guys. Thank you and may God Bless you all!!!!

8. 5756r

5756r

Avery Special thanks to the following Pinstripers here for contributing their artwork for the walls of Odins Hospital room.

CHANDLER --- www.pinstripingbychandler.com

Rusty76 --- Fellow truck owner and a kindred spirit in the HAMB Chapel

Safariknut --- Pinstriper and fellow rodder

Lostforawile --- for contributing a hand made Air Cleaner as free standing art, also a member of the HAMB Chapel.

A special thanks to them all, may God Bless you all 100 fold!!!

9. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

sorry about any delay on the air cleaner, i'm waiting to get into the plant to blast it yet, as soon as i can get in it will be on the way. Normally David will let me work on stuff but they are not in there for the holidays. I'll call him in a bit , just as soon as i can get in there it will be on it's way!!

10. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

no thanks needed

11. 5756r

5756r

Okay Brothers,

How many of you have run out of lighter fuel and had to burn something with a light rain going on?

Odins was doing just that, but, it's a lengthy and complicated story to tell. This is the short of it. He was trying to burn up a table top in his backyard free standing firepit and the fuel ran down the sides across the bottom and dripped into the bottom of the pit which is somewhat concave. He lit it off from a distance and it started to go, but, not as he expected, then it went out, or so he thought.

He approached it with a plastic gas can to pour and re-light it, when the fuel vapors under the table top ignited, blew all of about 1 gallon of fuel up out of the bowl shaped fire pit onto him and a plastic gas can. It gets more complicated to tell and quite horrific, so we all know what the result was.

We all know to never use gas, but, this was the Sunday after the record Nor'Easter hit the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, including, Va Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Hampton, Newport News and so on, including our Brothers to the south in the Outerbanks of North Carolina.

This entire area was blasted with continuous winds in excess of 60 mph for over 36 hours. It was terrible for the Thursday, Friday and Finally slowing down on Saturday before the Sunday of his accident.

Don't think this man foolish, he isn't. He was the 1 out of 1,000 of us that got the biting end of the old saying "Never use gas....".

Almost everyone has done this or something similar to it. Pray, just pray. Another update coming on Tuesday afternoon. That gives him 4 days of laying on his stomach to allow the skin grafts to heal on his back.

Now you, spread the word, but, be respectful of those who have been the 1 out of a 1,000 and also the power you hold in your hands the next time you pick up a gas can.

There is a gentleman which lives not 20 minutes from me that had his entire face burnt from refilling his lawnmower when it ran out and while pouring the fuel into the tank, it hit the hot exhaust muffler. Ever notice the tank is always on the opposite side or to the rear of the exhaust? This man is about 68 now and this happened in the 1960's.

These accidents are avoidable, yes. But, lest not we judge the man in this position, but, bless him and have compassion for him. It could just as easily been me......or even someone else here on the board.

12. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I have the aircleaner on the way tomorrow to Chandler, sorry about any delays, As soon as I can i'll be replacing all my plastic fuel cans with those steel safety cans. they have an auto closing cap and a back flash preventing screen. I remember my uncle being burned horribly like this when I was a kid, same circumstances. If you have to burn something,use kerosene. NEVER GAS!!! Those safety cans are a very good idea!!

13. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

This sounds more than awful.

Prayers and good thoughts from Indiana.

14. 5756r

5756r

Being repsectful to the family and following the wishes of the Hospital Staff, Odins can have all of the visitors the family will allow and they encourage visits. PM me for details, he is sedated, but, he can hear and responds by moving his toes and fingers. I, along with his family, read these prayers to him and the family calls these posts the "Book of Prayers" as I print them out for them.

15. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

these type of cans are well worth the money, I hope if anything good comes out of this, that it reminds people of how dangerous gas is if not handled properly, It's easy to forget when you work with it all the time, I see people doing dangerous things with it all the time, It can bite you in the ass big time. [​IMG]

16. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

This is a very sad occurance. I am deeply saddened to hear what has happened to Odins, I send my prayers to him and his family, and pray the doctors and all the staff have God's willing hand to help guide him to a fast and full recovery.

Let this be a humbling reminder to us all the danger we face every day in our lifestyle. The rewards are great, but respect of epuipment and materials cannot be neglected, which is very difficult considering the familiarity we have with it all.

The hot rodding flag is at half staff

~John~

17. popsracer

popsracer
    from Sacramento

Prayers sent from California.
    Blessings for a miraculously speedy recovery.

18. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Odins, Our thoughts and prayers go out to you on a daily basis. May God speed your healing and reduce any pain you may feel.

41 Dave

19. bobbyb

bobbyb
    from ohio

Prayers sent...May God bless.

20. superbeeme

superbeeme
    from georgia

We'll keep Praying until its time to stop. God Speed for a fast recovery!

21. God bless, prayers for a speedy recovery !

22. My prayers and best wishes sent out to him and his family.
    Stay strong brother, God loves you.

23. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Should have posted it here, but my stuff is on it's way to Chandler, has anyone set up a fund for him yet? I don't have much, but i have a little i can donate, a lot of drops fill up the bucket, He's going to have medical bills like no ones business, insurance or no insurance. The family probably has incidentals that are adding up too, like the cost of gas, and eating out, etc. My stepdaughter practically lives at the hospital here and in Tifton, So I understand. It adds up very quickly.

24. Best of luck to a speedy recovery.

25. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

any updates? seems like the entire post has dropped off the face of the earth. I hope i'm not holding up anyone with waiting on my stuff, Fed Ex shows it arrived in Texas at their center, so it should be in Chandlers hands tomorrow. I'll keep praying for Odins, :) The outpouring of support and prayers shown for this man ,amazes me, just when you start to lose faith in mankind, something like this shows there are still a lot of good people out there.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  26. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

But for the grace of god...

Sending him prayers and I'll keep him and his in my thoughts.

27. 5756r

5756r

This is to let everyone know that the future updates on Odins701 is on the HAMB Chapel and can be followed by the link below or going to "Social Groups" and looking for us under Uncategorized.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=5621

I hope to make it to him this afternoon, but, I've been side tracked myself todday and it may have to be tomorrow. I'll update as soon as possible.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  28. cobra56

cobra56
    from missouri

just found this post .......... prayers and thoughts on the way ....... hang in there and a wish for a speedy recovery from me and my family

29. Deu55

Deu55

Prayers sent....

30. Sherry.Norman

Sherry.Norman

Regarding Odins701:

In 2009, we all nearly lost my son Cliff Golby (Odins701) in a horrible accident of unimaginable pain. Pain. Hell. Agony more like. A parent should never hear the blood and body fluids of a child dripping off a bed unto a floor. Dripping. Dripping. His blood on the floor. Should never see flesh coming undone. More. So much more.

The things his wife had to see. And do. My God, what a strong woman.

Several nights in a row Clifton's surgeon said he was not likely to make it through the night. But he came through. Against all odds, and I do mean ALL odds, he came through. He's done everything they said he would never do again. The first one being live. All but for the use of his hands and his arms. Now he has a chance to recover those.

Three locations in the States can do transplants of muscle and nerve repair and make arms and hands work again. One is at Mayo of Jacksonville. Clifton's first visit is on June 11th.

A lovely man, Eric Riley, on his Facebook page has offered to match every donation of $4.00 or more up to $300.00 toward our fund raising to fund Clifton's travel expenses to begin the rebuilding of his arms.

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/cIM31?psid=10b4caa0993e46f58c9da2d969d055c0&ref=nf
    <o:p> </o:p>

For those who would rather contact my son directly, his mailing address is:

Cliff Golby, 5816 Ottawa Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23462

His email is: [email protected]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012