Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oddball Flathead Honeycomb Radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patmanta, Oct 20, 2015.

1. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Anybody ever see a honeycomb radiator for a flathead Ford?

I just bought one off epay for reasonable 'take a chance' money because it looked in decent shape and like it might fit inside a track style nose like what I've got in my head to fabricate.

The seller said it was "APPROX 24" TALL 12" WIDE - TOP TANK 7" DEEP W/O OUTLETS - BOTTOM TANK 4" DEEP W/O OUTLETS -TOP OUTLETS 1-1/4" BOTTOM 1-1/2" NO FIXED MOUNTS ON UNIT - I BELIEVE THIS IS OUT OF A '36 FORD BECAUSE THE FAMILY HAD ONE"

Now, I know if these measurements are correct, this is too narrow and too short to be a stock replacement for any year Ford that I'm aware of. So, I'm thinking this has to be an aftermarket or shop-made piece for something, maybe a flathead powered sport car.

Has anyone ever seen something like this?

s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (9).jpg s-l1600 (10).jpg s-l1600 (11).jpg s-l1600.jpg

2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably from a stationary engine, air compressor, etc. I remember reading something about them not working well in a moving vehicle, but I could be wrong.

3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

A honeycomb seems pretty exotic to me for a stationary engine though. And I'd expect a stationary to be large and square since it doesn't have the confines and contours of an automobile to conform to. I also would not expect to see a large top tank on a stationary.

Weren't most honeycomb radiators used on more expensive cars, imports, and aftermarket applications?

rmcroadster likes this.

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I see what you did there.

I was hoping for a more traditional equivalent though...

[​IMG]

cosmo and volvobrynk like this.
  5. 2935ford

2935ford

Not an A but my 1919 Dort has one.
    Dort.JPG

6. I was thinking the same thing. HRP

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

29 chev car and 37 dodge truck used honeycomb.
    "honeycomb won't cha be my baby...well honeycomb be my own....."

8. alchemy

alchemy

Honeycomb radiators are COOL! Hope you can get it to work for your project. Are you going to build and attach some sides to it?

patmanta likes this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My Bro in law had a 26 Pontiac that had a honeycomb radiator in it. Don't remember it having but one upper and lower hose though.

10. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

Not trying to steal the thread, but does anybody have a pic of a Dort ?

11. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

Learn something new everyday, thanks HRP.

patmanta likes this.
  12. 2935ford

2935ford

Here's my 1919 soon to be "modernized"!
    IMGP1450.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Did Dorts run dual outlet & inlet cooling?

Yeah, most all I've come up with are Chevy, Pontiac, Dodge, Rolls Royce, and aftermarket stuff for early T's and A's (Fedders I think) but all of that was single in/out and tend to be bigger than these measurements, at least wider.

I'm going to get it in my hands and figure out how to mount it best. I'm going to enlist my neighbor and see what he thinks, but I'm thinking I should be able to solder on some copper flanges and sides to the tanks safely and without getting too much heat into the combs.

If this thing works out, I'll be elated, because it will allow me to make the nose taper to a thin point, limited only by the engine width and proportions. My loose measurements were telling me I could concieveable fit a 36 or 37 radiator in there ahead of the crossmember, but it would be close. If this one actually IS 12 x 24, that means I have a lot more leeway with placement and design... IF it actually holds water and cools that is.

But my idea is to do a nose somewhat similar to this, punched out and dimpled OR to do one with an inverted 59 Edsel shell like I had mocked up a little while back:

[​IMG]
    (I realize this is a mid engine car)

[​IMG]

Dort, Dort, Dort... Dort.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. flatoz

flatoz

The original 32 radiator in my car from Australia was honeycomb. when I saw a 'standard' radiator in the Tudor we got from the US, I just assumed it had been redone. I don't have a photo of the Aussie one right now, but the couple I have seen local have all been honeycomb.

15. 2935ford

2935ford

No just monster size single in and out(lets). Early Dort used a Lycoming 4 cly engine designed by Louis Chevrolet's engineer Etienne Planche.
    IMGP1403.JPG

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    patmanta likes this.
  16. verde742

verde742

My first Model A, when I was 14, had a honeycomb radiator, didn't know what it was, took it to Radiator shop and the man traded me for a '29 Ford radiator with two upper and two down.

For My first experience with Ford Flatheads.

17. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Honey comb radiators work very well. The only problem seems to be when they leak, as I guess they are difficult to repair

18. 2935ford

2935ford

Such is the condition of mine!

19. Had a honeycomb radiator in a 31 chevy once. Obviously no dual inlets outlets but it was slick. I dont see any kind of mounting brackets on the one you got....it does kinda resemble a 35 to 38 radiator. Its probably the extra radiator from Edsel Fords speedster

Attached Files:

patmanta likes this.
  20. @patmanta if you cant use that radiator let me know, It just about exactly what I need for my ROG car for next year.....

21. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

That's what I'm shooting for with it too ;)

22. Nice! hopefully ill see ya on the sand! collecting up the last few bits and pieces before I start slicing and dicing

patmanta likes this.
  23. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought this honeycomb radiator a while back. It's made entirely of copper--even the tanks. I figured it would be cool as heck in the speedster, but couldn't make it fit. Another in my long list of nice ideas that came to nothing.
    copper_rad.JPG

kidcampbell71 and patmanta like this.
  24. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

This radiator was one of the last pieces of old stuff for my build. I think I'm down to metal fab, wiring, plumbing, and deciding on a master cylinder. If this radiator is GO, I'm pretty golden. I started collecting parts in 2012, and the build has gone a few directions in the time since; at about June of this year I finally had something (you can see HERE).

Well, that's a NICE piece regardless. You'd almost have to build a car around a piece like that. I can see it sitting on a T frame or an early notoaford with a cowl, seat and gas tank quite nicely.

ClarkH likes this.
  25. have some early Hemi radiators from 1951 up.....really nice honeycombs....

26. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I got the radiator on Friday and unboxed it. The seller really took care in shipping it, which was a relief! Looks promising but I didn't get to mess with it too much since my focus is on getting the body done right now.

I didn't measure it but the core looks about 4" deep, which is a plus! It really looks like someone had a radiator shop make this for something specific that they dropped a flathead into. I'm inclined to think the core came out of whatever that was and the shop made or modified the top and bottom tanks. They do not look factory but they do look professional.

Also, it weighs about 30lbs.

20151023_170111.jpg 20151023_170302.jpg

Attached Files:

27. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

@Robert J. Palmer may have nailed it over on my build thread. This radiator looks VERY close to the one in the midget he posted a picture of.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. jim gribben

jim gribben

20150420_112104.jpg 20150420_112104.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.