Register now to get rid of these ads!

odd screeching noise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike1951, Nov 29, 2009.

1. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

ok, I am gettin an odd screeching noise from my 53 buick special inline 8 with manual trans...it sounds awful, like a loose belt or something...metal rubbing on metal...like if engine tin was vibrating and rubbing...
    when I push my clutch pedal in maybe 1/2 inch to an inch...not even engaging it...the sound goes away.... is this just a linkage issue? My clutch does not always fully engage for first... or is this something much more sinister?

2. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

Sounds like your throwout bearing is engaged and worn out. Try adusting your clutch linkage before anything else.

3. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

sounds fun... like a full clutch job will be in the works...
    I'll adjust the linkage first

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. The throw-out bearing is worn, as junkyardroad says, adjustment might be the solution, certainly would be my first action. If/when it gets worse, then you might have to replace it.

5. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

it's intermittent...like when the car is cold....nothing...then as it warms up...it comes in at idle, goes away at revving

6. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

Does that motor have a thrust bearing on the crank?

Had an old 4 speed camaro that did something very similar, except it would rattle like hell when you pushed the clutch in, opened the hood that night, had a buddy push the clutch in, saw sparks coming from the crank pulley rubbing on the fan

So, I grabbed a crescent wrench, bent all the fan blades a bit and kept driving it that way for quite a while

7. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

throwout bearring would be my best guess

8. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

jesus....I just bought this thing about 3 weeks ago, total barn find...has not been run in FOREVER...been sortin it out... she is clean as hell, but lots of gremlins...not the AMC kind...
    like the funky electrical problem where 1 in 10 times the solenoid will engage, but the starter will not turn...but that's another story for another time

9. 61bone

61bone

Just tell her to shut up.

10. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

be nice if I could get to that level that some of you guys have...where you stare at the car in a menacing fashion and it fixes itself..:D

11. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

Wow that clutch job is a bitch the entire rearend has to come out with the torque tube then tranny then clutch. I had the same problem on my straight 8 with the three speed. The motor was actually out of a 53 buick special. i sprayed some lubricant up into the bearing and it actually helped for a few months and when it came back did in again. worked fine until i got around to changing the clutch pressure plate and throwout bearing. good luck!!

12. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

what kinda lubricant? and how did you get it up in there?

13. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

The entire rear end don't have to come out all the way. First, get the car up high enough to manuever a transmission jack. Think ahead, remember that a jack is a great aid when going back in with the transmission, for alignment. With car up on jack stands, with rear tires just barely off the ground, disconnect shocks, e-brake cables, springs, and roll it back a couple of inches. Raise the front end of the driveshaft up to where the transmission can come straight back.................

14. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i owned a 55 the pressure plates are garbage get one for a 55 dodge. the originals slip
    like crazy. u dont have to remove the rear end push it back with a porta power.

15. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

Put up some pictures of your car. It won't help your problem, but what the hell. I'd like to see it.

16. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I ended up adjustin the clutch assembly a hair, that stopped the noise...
    there was WAY too much play in it...
    here she is, pretty nice for a barn find...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

That is a nice car. Looks like a well kept garage-find. Tough job to fix, but won't it be cool?

18. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

she has not been driven in years...I spent a whole day waxing to take out the oxidation...no rust, no dents...crappy re spray...but it's cool...lots of mechanical demons.. (most of those are electrical) I am feelin lead sled on this one... air bags and what not, maybe a set of astros....I wanted a family cruiser and she fits the bill.

19. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

ya not all the way out probably like 10 inches back though so the rear wheels should be taken off, but i forget what lubrication spray i used, i am sure any would be fine.

20. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

sounds like you found my mother in law!!