Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Odd reactions to your daily driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Road Runner, Aug 29, 2016.

1. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The local Ford Dealership recently held a all Ford car show and things were going well with my 32 Ford until one of the purist noticed the corvette valve covers thru the hood side louvers then the sky got real dark....... CHIEF POCATELLO 2016 007.JPG

neverdun, Jet96, olscrounger and 5 others like this.
  2. GTS225

GTS225

****************************************************************************************************

I hate soggy shorts.

Roger

3. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

image.jpeg I get does it run?no it got to mc donalds magically..when you gonna restore it?never

4. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

I pull into a Shell Station in Little Rock, AR a few years ago to get gas in the 56. Before I can get out of the car a older Lady pulls up and asks "is that your car Mister". I reply that it is and then she said, "that shure is a purty car". She then shares with me that " me and my man had one like it back in the day, Oh it wasn't your color but it was nice". So I say well if you guys enjoyed your car as much as I have enjoyed this one you have had a good time. And the she said "oh yes sir, you know those cars have a big back seat in them". I was speechless and she just smiled with a far away look in her eye and drove off. That was the start of another great day in an "Old Car".

brad2v and volvobrynk like this.
  5. Baldies

Baldies

"My uncle had a car just like this one. Sure wish I had it today." It's surprising how many relatives had a 39 Pontiac business coupe.

Jet96 and brad2v like this.
  6. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

As I was coming out of the donut shop this morning I was approached by a guy while walking to my 34'. He said, you know you can put a Crown Vic grille in that. I assumed the obvious, that this guy had no idea what he was talking about. But I tried to be nice and play along. I asked what he meant. He said that the chrome grille on a 32' Crown Vic would fit right on my car. I didn't bother telling him that there wasn't a Crown Vic in 32' (OK, I know there was a Victoria in 32', but as all 32's had the same grill, well...). But I kindly let him know that my car was a 34' Ford and that it had the stock grill.
    Sometimes it gets pretty difficult to not let my true nature come out and say something truly sarcastic. This was one of those moments.

7. Recluse

Recluse
    from Montana

I got a 55 Willys wagon about a month ago. A friend sent me this about a week later. He found it somewhere online.

willys-vs-new.jpg

Terrible80, wsdad, neverdun and 11 others like this.
  8. Recluse, I said it once and I will say it again. Its kind of like your saying. When people see my Olds station wagon at a car show. They say how do you afford to drive that wagon every day with the price of gas. I say how do you afford those high car payments? Mine all I do is have to put a set of points in once in a while and it doesn't have to go back to the dealer ship. That shuts up most of them and they mumble something under there breath and walk off, and my wife sitting next to me says nice going CHAMP you pissed off some one else again.LOL. Bruce.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

....for a software reboot after bleeding the brakes. Or replacing the battery...or airbags that may well slice your jugular in an otherwise minor fender bender. Sorry. I'll stop now.

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

I tell people that it costs about the same *per year* to keep my car running as their car costs *per month* for payments and yeah, the value of my cars goes up every year while their value goes down.The newest car I own is a 1966

11. I know this kind of happens to all of us, which is the spirit of this thread. But this always cracks me up..

I get it mostly at gas stations. What year? Are you restoring it? so on and so on. But what kills me is the time someone told me I am fixing up a 87 Jeep. I will never understand what part of seeing a lowered 53 Merc makes someone want to tell me they own a 87 Jeep.

brad2v, Moondog13 and little red 50 like this.
  12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

In defense. When driving an old car, I spent more time watching traffic instead of the drivers. I always return a thank you wave when I notice a driver giving the car a thumbs up. But I rarely notice them unless they are hanging out of window. My wife riding beside me gives many return waves that I miss.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. I miss quite a bit too. Takes a little more attention to drive something with a lumpy cam, 4-speed and no power options than a newer car.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. donno21

donno21

Made 2 trips to Redding CA in my ladies 57 Starchief drop top from north Idaho. In Orygunn, you don't pump your gas,(less your on the "Res", they don't care. So at our fuel stops the "attendant" would hustle to the pump and set it, then stand there and stare at me. I'd say go ahead, and they would reply " I ain't touchin' that car, you do it"

15. Thats like when they tell you "yeah, i"m into old cars too" "What have you got" "Oh, an 89 Honda".......
    Go away.

16. cretin

cretin

Ha. That reminds of a time in the '54. I went to a NOFX show at the House of Blues in Hollywood. As you know by now, I drove the '54, it was me and a friend in the car.
    HOB in Hollywood, does not have self parking, only valet. I hate valet, even in a "regular" car.

As we pulled up, I asked my friend, "do you think they will just let me park it?"

All the valets, stood there for a moment and stared, finally one walked up and asked me, "Umm, do you just wanna park this?"

Of course I answered "YES!"

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bruce Fischer and volvobrynk like this.
  17. 1/2 the fun at shows or cruise nights is pissing people off. 99.999% of the time, they come begging for it, always try my best to send people away with what they came for. I haven't had the gas mileage question yet. I'm calculating it and will know on my next fill up. Expecting something atrocious.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I just went to a car show Saturday, I had to drive 60 miles each way, and most of it on highway. I took 2 lane blacktop going back.
    I love car shows, but some of the spectators (walk ins) is annoying, but the longer the drive, the less annoying I find them!
    I drove around 68-70 most of the time out, and 55 going back
    I got close to 23 mpg, and that is a good conversation piece, an O/T turbo charged car only got 17 mpg.

So he was a little annoyed with me, and I didn't help when I told him he should have gotten an older car

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But it was a very pleasant trip and I enjoy taking my car out, but I found it easier to walk away from the know it all, the to argue loudly and to no end. The only end is either; my dad is stronger the yours or walk away.

And overdrive transmissions is a mechanical wonder, that makes such a big difference in an old car!!

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Volvobrynk, it just dawned on me that your car is a 123GT, RARE car. I can be a little thick sometimes... I just sold one, rough as hell, needs a ground up resto.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Sorry to disappoint you, it's a 121, build as a 122 S with a 123 GT steering wheel. Mine had a ground resto, but not to show standard, but to factory fresh standard. So non gapped original doors etc.

The body on all three is the same shell, the drive line is the biggest difference. I'm missing the dash top tray (don't want, don't need), the wirrering harness (made my own) and installing the tach. I have the Era Perfect Marshal lamps, but I'm struggling, weather to install them after all.

I make more power then a 123 GT, and it drives and handles better then a 123 GT, but I'm still happy!!

pat59 likes this.
  21. When I built my Model A pickup and drove it for the first time I pulled into a Shell station
    to get some gas.

It was a sight,the cab was mostly blue but sported a very nice original paint black drivers door & the hood tops were blue on one side and primer on the other,the side panels were both nicely painted red that I got at a swap meet and the bed was mostly blue and red primer,no tailgate.

The fender braces were on the front and the headlight bar and lights were mounted,I was driving the truck while working on it as funds would allow.

When I pulled into that Shell Station to buy gas the owner ask me did anyone get hurt in that wreck?

A few months after my ego got bruised I finished putting the truck together and shot a coat of primer on it and drove back to the same station and Marvin told me this hot rod is a lot nicer than that POS you drove here a few months ago,I told him it was the same wreck. HRP

I don't have a picture I described but I do have a finished photo.

[​IMG]

22. Danny, now that's FUNNY! Bruce.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Reminds me of the time we were standing around at a parade line-up and somebody asked my older buddy, "How many got killed in that wreck?"
    He never missed a beat and replied, " Nobody got killed, but your sister and several more got cut in the back seat a few times"

volvobrynk and bobss396 like this.
  24. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a young guy once said to me, "what's an ensel?"

25. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

In 1961, at our neck of the woods, cars and racing were the top topics whenever people would gather at the local drive in restaurant. I already had a fast 58 Impala that was a racer/cruiser, but I thought about buying this 40 ford Sedan Delivery with a powerful 348 c.i. motor in it. I had the notion that it would be the cool to drive on the streets with that powerful 348 motor in it and be able to go to the beach on surf trips. This guy who built the delivery won a lot of races, but we never raced each other.

In talking with this guy, he liked his car and performance, but did not like the color that he had painted the delivery. He was in the selling mode. He was asking too much for what I could afford, so the point was moot. One day, he said he would sell it to me, but he was keeping the 348 motor for his next project. The price dropped several hundred dollars and it fit right into what I could afford.

When I bought it, the owner had switched out the 348 with a stock flathead. (So much for top speed and quickness.) But, the color was racer orange and attractive. Some people used to come up to us at the drive in parking area and ask what color the car was under the lights. When I said racer orange, they kind of chuckled and said … “We thought it was the color of Salmon we just had for dinner.” Salmon? Come on… Under the parking lot lights, to me it looked like racer orange.

The next day in the bright sunlight, the sedan delivery looked salmon pink. In the bright sun no less…yikes… the next week, we went to another drive in to check out the cars and again, someone asked if we purposely painted the 40 Delivery pink. Even though everyone had their say so on the salmon pink color, we had a ton of fun driving this 40 Ford Sedan Delivery to just about every surf spot in So Cal. This photo is a duplicate look of the delivery (even to the rings and baby moons), but it is another one that we had purchased 10 years later. This time, the color was a bright orange and not salmon pink! (and had a 327/350 with a/c and full upholstery)

Jnaki
    upload_2016-9-7_6-2-6.png

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

My wife and I were coming back from a local car show and go over a bridge that jumps the expressway. As we were going up the hill on one side I gained on a modern vehicle ahead of me and said to my wife that if this guy can't out run my 51 straight eight three on the tree his car ain't running right or he can't drive. On the other side of the bridge is a traffic light at the bottom of the hill not too far from the peak. The guy in the car in front of me all of sudden stops with the light green and well before the intersection. Of course having manual/drums on all 4 I am pulling up on the steering wheel thinking what the F%#$.....This guy who looked to be recently from another country is getting out to take a picture of my car. I asked him to drive through the light and turn right and told him he can take all he wants but that we had to move before we caused a pile up since anybody coming over the hill wouldn't see us. I don't think he understood cause he just kept taking pictures and smiling. Luckily nobody came over the hill.

I also get a lot of inquiries about the hood opening sideways. Many think it is a straight six too. Three on the tree throws them always. But most of all I get goofy looks looks like is he really driving that? After looking in amazement then the thumb comes up from young and old. The astonished young wishing they had one and knew how it works and the grinning DSC_0010.JPG old remembering how great it was when they had one and knowing exactly how it works.

27. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Looking good, looking good? The really question is who do I like the best.

I was out driving my farther truck the other day, moving dirt for a brother in laws rear deck. This is not a DD, but I drive it as often as I can.
    But it's funny to see other truck drivers hang out there windows to get pictures, and when I was getting load, there was one of the older drivers that rolled down his window and yells too me; "Hey kid, how can get your self self to load that pretty new bed up with the dirt? Do you have no shame?" And then laughs.
    And I'm no kid, I'm 32 but looks 38-40, and the bed is new wood, but cheap pine wood.
    So I tell him that; "If the bed has to get the patina of the cab, I better get more load on him".
    He laughs and goes on the tell about when he was a young inexperienced driver on a truck like that, and that I enjoy the most, the goofy/funny comment from grey-beards who remember and enjoys the part of being next to a "time capsule" from there youth.

[​IMG][​IMG]

brad2v, Fedman and Rex_A_Lott like this.
  28. That truck is great, do you live on a ranch or farm in Denmark?

29. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

No, I live in a small house with a small garage.
    My dad owns a big industrial estate, with two large structures/buildings, where one is garage and some old cars/caravan storage ( and my projects). And shop for all the stuff we work on.

The pic was taken at the local quarry, note my daughter in the window.
    One more pic of my 5 yrs old codriver [​IMG]

EDIT, What you see in the picture is 10.000 lbs of dirt (sand), out of the 38.000 my brother in law needed for his patio (sp? An outside floor on the garden side of a house, like a porch with out a roof over).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Fedman, pat59, oldolds and 1 other person like this.
  30. wicarnut

wicarnut

Don't feel I get Odd reactions to our cars, usually thumbs up and an occasionally, a 1 finger salute from my going 55 in a 55 or 65 in a 65... must to have held them back for a few seconds, used to get many thumbs up towing open trailered racers all over midwest 20+ years and as people have stated, no quick gas/potty stops as many want to talk with you about cars, always take that as a compliment, no matter how silly comments/questions become. BUT that occasional expert who feels it's his duty to tell me what's wrong w/ my rides and proceeds to tell me about his (perfect car) in his garage, that guy wears thin pretty quick and goes home to tell his wife about the A$$Hole he spoke to buying gas or at a car show.

brad2v, clunker, wraymen and 3 others like this.