Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Odd ball rear end? Identification?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Oct 18, 2018.

1. just had this dropped off at the shop
    Aluminum center section, banjo ish rear end with what looks like hydraulic jacks built on it and odd mechanical brakes
    3E402A7B-E58B-413A-8BCC-49B1C9A02051.jpeg 68745697-DBB1-4C7E-87B7-4CCD59915892.jpeg

Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Guy I got it from suggested it was British. This one has me stumped

3. better pictures ?

4. The hydraulic rams attached also make me think of British..........a mate from school had a 1948 MG Y Sedan, err, Saloon and it had that feature of being able to jack itself off the ground to change a wheel and from memory the rear end was very similar..........but this was around 1970............lol..............andyd

anthony myrick likes this.

5. SS327

SS327

Very early Indy car. :rolleyes:

Denny

6. midroad

midroad

That's an English Jackall system. It used a hydraulic pump and reservoir on the firewall to lift all 4 wheels at once.

loudbang and anthony myrick like this.
  7. Yep, thats what they were called....thanks Mike......tho' on the MG Y you could use a lever on the firewall to select either the front or back wheels to be lifted............lol......andyd

loudbang and anthony myrick like this.
  8. Thanks. I knew the British or Down Under guys could figure it out. Don’t see this much in Alabama
    Thought it was odd to have a hydro lift set up with mechanical brakes.
    I guess changing tires was more important that stopping

302GMC and Happydaze like this.
  9. wonder if this rear would hold up to a flathead 6 in some types of lakes modified build?

10. A stock flathead six running on 3 cylinders maybe.....lol.....think most of these pommy things would have had no more than 50-80hp, if that..........andyd

11. so ya think a 85hp Studebaker flathead 6 will kill it?

12. It wouldn't be my choice...........lol..........andyd

13. loudbang

loudbang

A little easier to see. :)

1a.JPG

34 GAZ likes this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well worse case is that you break it and have to swap a different rear under the car.
    Best case, once you clean all the scabs off it, it is pretty cool looking except for being a bit on the skimpy side. Then if you don't decide to do big burnouts with it or hard starts for a hill climb you should be ok.
    I'd wonder if the expense and trouble of finding wheels that fit make it viable though.

15. BTW....from that last pic it looks like its a worm drive or is it hypoid drive?...........andyd