Register now to get rid of these ads!

odd ball engines!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by peanut, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Just picked up a couple more unusual engines so I thought I'd resurrect this old thread.

This an American LaFrance E series V12: 275HP, 754 cubic inches, 30 degree vee, 4" bore x 5" stroke, SOHC, four 6 cylinder distributors (two on each side), 24 spark plugs, two Zenith updraft carburetors, exhaust ports on top of heads. This was the only true American LaFrance designed and built engine.

It is a really cool old engine, and I'll start a separate thread on it soon. The exhaust heat shields will be the first thing to go.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  2. GaryC.

GaryC.

The Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged two-stroke diesel engine is the most powerful and most efficient prime-mover in the world today. The Aioi Works of Japan 's Diesel United, Ltd built the first engines and is where some of these pictures were taken. It is available in 6 through 14 cylinder versions, all are inline engines. These engines were designed primarily for very large container ships. Ship owners like a single engine/single propeller design and the new generation of larger container ships needed a bigger engine to propel them. The cylinder bore is just under 38" and the stroke is just over 98". Each cylinder displaces 111,143 cubic inches (1820 liters) and produces 7780 horsepower. Total displacement comes out to 1,556,002 cubic inches (25,480 liters) for the fourteen cylinder version.

Some more facts on the 14 cylinder version:
    Total engine weight: 2300 tons (The crankshaft alone weighs 300 tons).
    Length: 89 feet
    Height: 44 feet
    Maximum power: 108,920 hp at 102 rpm
    Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm

Fuel consumption at maximum power is 0.278 lbs per hp per hour (Brake Specific Fuel Consumption). Fuel consumption at maximum economy is 0.260 lbs/hp/hour. At maximum economy the engine exceeds 50% thermal efficiency. That is, more than 50% of the energy in the fuel in converted to motion. For comparison, most automotive and small aircraft engines have BSFC figures in the 0.40-0.60 lbs/hp/hr range and 25-30% thermal efficiency range. Even at its most efficient power setting, the big 14 consumes 1,660 gallons of heavy fuel oil per hour.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

The other one I picked up is an American LaFrance model J V12: 215 HP, 527 cubic inches, 3.625 bore x 4.25 stroke, 45 degree vee, two 12 cylinder distributors, 24 spark plugs, two downdraft carburetors. This engine is actually manufactured by Lycoming and is a larger version of the famous Auburn V12.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

awesome thread . also dig those american lafrance engines i hope for some post on them when they head for a project

5. Qparker

Qparker

just picked up my own:
    Industrial Chrystler straight eight, It was free, came out of an old crane. Not much info on it yet, 300+ci though.
    It's a Flathead, smallish bore(3.25), LONG stroke(around 4.25-not sure)... Any info on these would be greatly appreciated.:D

6. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I,m a

I,m a Buick straight 8 fan, and always interested in hopping up strait 8,s, and also any of the old time flatheads,overheads,inlines,V8,s, 4,s 6, 8,s and whatever. The one thing ive noticed is that the shortcut to good performance is a BLOWER of some kind, 2,3,4, carbs look cool, big cams sound great, but if you just want some useful power a blower will give you all of that ,just don,t overdo the pressure, and you will be a happycamper. Inline and especially straight 8,s are sensitive to over revving due to their long cranks, so a after market crank damper is a must. A flatheads especially respond well to a blower without doing hardly anything else to the engine.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  7. Qparker

Qparker

I was considering the 6-71 in the shed, along with 3-4 single bbl's and some headers, possibly zoomies, depending on the application. I recently acquired an early 40's Chevy coupe, so that's a possible candidate...

8. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

There was a local guy from Stave Falls Auto Wrecking in BC that had a GMC V6 and V12. I saw the one car driving on the road, it was a 70's Nova or Pontiac equivalent with the huge V6 and a truck 4 speed and 8 lug rear end. Supposedly the V12 was going in a mid 60's full sized Pontiac. Never saw that though.
    Maybe somebody here did?

There were two Ford GAA engines for sale at the Monroe swap meet about ten years ago. Same guy had them both and as i recall only about $500 to $1000.

9. cavemag

cavemag

What about a dohc hemi headed ford flathead. [​IMG]

10. genosslk

genosslk

Here's a Ford 300 six with dual four mainfold under two Holley 94's with mild cam and 3 speed manual and Ford 8 inch all wrapped under a 27 Chrysler body, 29 Ford Briggs cowling and 30 Ford grill. This mess was my yard art until I came up with this "great" idea. This thing hauls ass!!!!

Attached Files:

11. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Cool, those Ford 300's are great engines.

12. dirty4

dirty4

Here is a picture of a car with a 413 with long cross ram intake tubes. I do not know who owns this car but I like the way it looks.

Attached Files:

• 413.jpg
      413.jpg
      File size:
      160 KB
      Views:
  13. 55chieftain

55chieftain

M/T Pontiac , dual blower the hard way. Intake and exhaust all on the outside of the head. At least you can see driving down the track...

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Man, that is effin weird. Why would you convert a crossflow design to an inferior U-flow design on a performance application?

15. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Never saw or heard of that engine, but Willys/Kaiser made and sold plenty of Hemi six cylinder Jeeps. Wierd one because the intake and exaust lobe was the same one. SOHC with a rocker/follower. 230 cid. Toranado I think they called it.

17. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Show them your Y-block headed 4 cyl Plymouth Rich. Check out Salt Cat Racing on Facebook. Better yet walk thru the pits at Bonneville if you really want to see some strange engine combos not just pictures of stuff that no one will ever build. Youll see very fast GMC 6s, straight 8 Buicks, Hudsons, straight 8 Chryslers, flathead powered Studebakers, chevy V8s running on 4 cylinders. & this year even 2 cylinders.

18. RpR

RpR
    from Minnesota

That engine was a very successful Argentine Formula One engine.
    Successfully competing against v8 Dodge and Chevy engines.

19. tjmercury

tjmercury

I have a 196 slant 4 from an old ihc scout. dont have any pics yet, but i will try to take a few this evening. pretty neat little engine

20. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yup... the tornado replaced the super hurricane in like, 62 or 63, but they only made them till 65 for civilian stuff like the truck and wagoneer. but i think the Argentinian side kept making them till 69, and the same in the states for the m715 and m725 for the military... i think Renault used the same motor and built them up till the early 80's as the torino engine, but changed it to a seven main bearing block and crank, which with a head shave and the right pistons you could make up to about 10:1 compression with them, making them a decent candidate for a nice lil hopped up mill if you have a later block and crank, but a decent cam grind is going to be hell to come up with!!! lol. parts shouldnt be TOO hard to come by for them even now if you looked down in south america

21. slack

slack

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014