Register now to get rid of these ads!

odd ball engines!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by peanut, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Phil1934

Phil1934

I grabbed the Mustang pic. P.S. Do an intro.

Attached Files:

slack likes this.
  2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Wow, cool. Needs a modified T-style body, though. Cut down 1932 Lincoln Model K phaeton, perhaps?

-Dave

3. rodknocker

rodknocker

4. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Thanks Phil,
    Intro is now done. Anyone know where any Seagraves V12 parts can be had? I've been told there is someone here in the DFW area that has a big stash of them, but I have no leads.

5. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Here are the most recent pics. I may crank it for the first time this weekend. :D

Attached Files:

6. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

My grandpa actually had a bicycle with one of these attached to it at one point.

7. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

OMG a GAA powered Mustang...too cool! I love the GAA. It showed Ford's engine engineering muscle way back there when everyone thought they could only do Flatheads. Make sure you catch the new "Tank Overhaul" series on the Military channel starting Tues 2/6 at 8 P.M. EST. In the promos they show the guys barking a big radial powered WWII tank to life. Neat stuff! So anyway LB how'd you get into GAA's. The holy grail of Ford power. If you have pics why don't you do a separate thread showcasing this engine.

BTW I found a Seagrave V12 patiently waiting to be resurected to it's former glory. Did you ever see the `32 ? Pierce Arrow that A.J. Foyt ran at Bonneville for the P.A. collector a few years back. It was a stock body with a NASCAR 9" Ford rear and 4spd trans all hooked to a turbocharged Pierce- Arrow V12 which you know evolved into the Seagrave fire truck engine. Aw man the big stuff is gnarley ain't it?

8. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Back around 1984, I saw a GAA at the tractor pulls, and was very impressed with the engine. A few years ago I got to thinking about that engine again and went on a quest. I've been working on the engine in the pictures for about 2 years now. I have a twin 6-71 blower setup for the engine that looks really awesome, the blowers are connected end to end similar to the setup on a 12-71 Detriot. I may install it later, but I'm worried about the extra weight right now. I'm new here, but if there is interest I might do a separate thread.

I didn't see the Pierce Arrow, but I love wild stuff like that.

9. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

well..i dont know about the 389 cut in half. but we run pontiac 4bangers in our midget cars. with injector stacks and on methonal, its pushing around 250-300 HP. its a stock block. then put a chevy S10 head on it. for the bigger valve diameter.

10. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I love this little rail anyone have more info on it?I'd love to duplicate it for HA/GR or at least build a close copy

11. mungo

mungo
    from Australia

Show us the GAA

12. an aussie e49 valiant charger motor 305 hp webers 265ci 6 cylinder :D its already been posted but wat the heck .

Attached Files:

slack likes this.
  13. Phil1934

Phil1934

Start a thread. It's not there is no interest, but after 16 pages of mostly four cylinders most skip this thread.

14. I just bought a Nash Flathead six . Pretty trippy . There is no intake manifold , the carburetor dumps directly into the head and the exhaust "manifold" is a piece of tubing with slots cut into it that clamps to the block over the exhaust ports .Way too cool .

15. I just bought a Nash flathead 6 . There is no intake manifold , the carb bolts directly onto the top of the head . The exhaust "manifold" is a piece of tubing with slots cut into it that is clamped over the exhaust ports on the engine . Way too cool

16. sdluck

sdluck

17. CMillet86

CMillet86
    from Ohio

I don't know how schooled some of you guys are on drag racing, but if you've ever heard of a Big Cheif cylinder heads, I have 6 cylinder big cheif heads that supposedly fit a 4.3...pretty oddball would make some heavy horsepower though

18. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

I'm looking at the 478 cid version -- supposed to be same external size:eek:

19. Frank

Frank

How bout the V4 Ford used in Saab Sonnets. That's a funny little engine. Better suited to run a welder. I have some sort of industrial Ford V6. Best I can tell its a 2 liter, but it doesn't look quite like other 2 liter industrial Ford V6's. Its also very different than the 2.6 and 2.8 Ford V6's. I am thinking of turning it into a compressor.

At the round up last year a guy had a roadster of some sort with a big block Ford head on top of a 4 banger. He said it was from a Mercruiser. I don't know if it was a specific engine block made by Mercruiser or some other bastardized engine. Does anyone know if a 460 head will fit on a 2.3 Ford? :D

20. PonchoRunner

PonchoRunner

Well I was only able to get two of my pictures to upload. So here is a shot of the infamous Bugatti Royale Type 41 stragiht eight engine and one of my 1928-9 Marmon little eight engine.

Attached Files:

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Eddy Miller Pontiac six. Pre war lakester engine. And Packard inline twelve

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  22. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

Here's the straight 8 flathead in my old '46 Pontiac Business Coupe

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

hey GOOBER where,d you get the pic of Jarvis Earle's Buick straight 8 dragster? That thing was FAST in its day.

24. Supercharged 327 Packard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. jimdillon

jimdillon

Rich what is the story on the Packard 12? It appears to be the Monobloc 12 which I believe they only built one. Always interested in Packard 12s, great engines-Jim

26. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mercruiser are boat motors!

27. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

here is a chevy 250 streight 6. not the most exotic but different.

Attached Files:

28. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

[/QUOTE]

I actually saw one of those running on TV a while back, trippy

29. Wesley

Wesley

I realize that I am responding to a very old post, but,,,,
    My neighbor has one of those Mercruisers in his 32 roadster. It is a real conglomeration of parts, aluminum block uniquely mercruiser, some british leyland tractor crank, same bore and stroke as a 460 ford, I think it even uses 460 pistons. It does use a 460 head. Mercruiser made them in 2bbl and 4bbl versions. I tried to get 3 97s on a homebuilt log manifold to work on it without alot of success. It would pool fuel in the bottom of the manifold at low RPMs and between 2500-3000 rpm the ngine would develop a harmonic that would literally shake fuel out of the carb vents spraying into the drivers face. We ended up putting the mercruiser 4bbl setup on it. That "little" banger had enough power to make that 32 alot of fun to drive.

30. Wesley

Wesley

That was my neighbors car. The 460 head will not fit the 2.3L ford. The engine is Mercruisers creation.