Register now to get rid of these ads!

odd ball engines!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by peanut, Jun 23, 2005.

1. peanut

peanut

show us some pics of some odd ball engines! like flat head straight eights! pontiac ohc six, and the half of a v8 pontiac 4 banger. what else is out there???

2. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Heres mine how I found it.
    1940 Cadillac 346ci Flathead from a 60 series.
    For the unknowing the exhaust comes out on top.

Attached Files:

3. peanut

peanut

now thats what i'm talking about! how much HP. did that flatty make???

4. Squablow

Squablow

Here's a pic of my roadster project, affectionately known as the "Train Wreck", soon to have a new frame (hopefully), and it's GMC 305 V6 engine that I desperately want to use in the finished product. Hoping to have the only hot rod ever to use this engine. Anyone know anything about these motors (I.E. is the bellhousing pattern the same as the other Chevy/GMC engines?)

Attached Files:

5. It don't get much weirder than a Pontiac 194 Four. Think 389 sawed in half...literally.

6. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

150HP

8. peanut

peanut

cool stuff!!! that four banger would be cool in an A with a four speed and two 81s!!!!!!

9. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

You need a 421 SD head on that Pontiac 4!!!

10. hey crew,

whats with that pontiac 4? tell me more...

danny

11. Kinky6

Kinky6

"Hoping to have the only hot rod ever to use this GMC 305 V6 engine that I desperately want to use in the finished product. Anyone know anything about these motors?"

Low revving torque monster. No aftermarket speed equipment has ever been developed for this engine. Well suited for use in logging trucks and as a boat anchor. :D

Get an inline! :cool:

12. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

6-53 Blown Slant six. anybody without an imagination can build a chevy

Dawg

13. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

1960 Caddy .............with Edelbrock intake and a little dress up stuff.... :)

14. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

the gmc v6 should have an adapter plate on the back that lets a standard chevy bellhousing bolt right up.randy

15. TvanD

TvanD
    from Newton IA

The Pontiac 4 is half of a 389. My son has a 64 Tempest with one in it.Stock it's a dog, he also got a spare motor complete with a factory 4 barrel set up.Mickey Thompson had a drag car with one of these in it that ran pretty hard but you gotta consider who was turning the wrenches. The car and spare motor are up for sale. I'd list it but I'm still on FNG probation. Hope this last line doesn't come across as rule bending because I don't have a problem with the waiting period.

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I have fun watching people scratch their head over my Stude motor. The only people to get it on the first 3 guesses have owned and/or worked on a Stude. in their past.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not really traditional but how about a F.I. intercooled turbocharged Slant six. It must put out some serious boost if you have to safety wire the intake connection!!!

17. JAB

JAB

what years did they make that flathead caddy, any perf parts or websites?

18. Gotta love the OHV Buick straight-8. Dig those pipes!

[​IMG]

19. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

20. JAB

JAB

thanks for the info attitudor.

21. Talk about oddball!? "Speedy" Bill Smith of Speedway Motors has this V8-60, with motorcycle barrels and heads bolted on, which used to run in a midget.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  22. I had the 4bbl. version of that in my 62 Lemans, it also had the 4 speed in it, it was very torquey, and was great fun with the 5.60 x 15 bias plys on it. Could hardly keep it in a lane when it had radials on it.

Anybody need a Corvair engine? Nothing odder than the fan belt setup on one of them.

Here's a picture of one with factory A/C.
    [​IMG]

23. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

The best years are 46-48, earlier 346's had a so-so oiling system. Edmunds made heads and intakes, pretty rare even on Ebay.

Here is the BIG Caddy, a 38 V16 in this case.

Attached Files:

• V16C.jpg
      File size:
      61.5 KB
      Views:
    • V16C.jpg
      File size:
      61.5 KB
      Views:
  24. Squablow,
    I don't recall for sure about the bell housing.

I do know that you want to watch the fuel pump real close on 'em. The have a tendency to bust the diaphram and fill your crankcase with gas.

25. When I was little there was a roadster at the show in the Cow Palace that had the Cad flatty, it had the wildest set of headers that lay down over the heads then dumped like a set of Lakesters.

Those are wild mills for sure, I wish I could afford to play with one.

26. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Benno-
    I kept my nose to the ground and came up with my running one for less than 2 weeks grocerys at the brady bunch house. I'm putting it in front of that cab I had in the bed of my truck when I was at your place.
    Now if it'd just cool down enough to work in my shop.
    Wyatt

27. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

HI JAB!
    EDDIE EDMUNDS STARTED MAKING HEADS AND A DUAL INTAKE IN THE LATE 30'S AND FOR LIKE TEN YEARS. I HAVE A PAIR OF THE EARLY ONE. I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR A DUAL INTAKE FOR A LON TIME WITOUT LUCK.
    THERE WAS A GUY CALLED FRANK BURRELL, HE ALSO DID HEADS AND DUAL INTAKE. I HAVE HIS BROCHURE SCANNED, AND WILL TRY TO POST A PICTURE.
    I AM IN CONTACT WITH HIS SON, AND HE STILL HAVE THE OLD PATTERNS, AND PROMISED ME TO TRY HAVE SOME MADE AS FAST AS HE FIND A CASTING COMPANY. MALLORY MADE A DUAL DISTRIBUTOR AS WELL. I AM THE HAPPY OWNER OF TWO OF THEM.
    KEVIN AT CYCLONE HAVE MADE SOME BEATIFUL HEADS ALSO, NEARLY READY I GUESS.
    I AM BUILDING A SIXPACK WITH STROMBERG 97'S FROM AN 50,S OLDS SIX LOG INTAKE FOR MY CADDY. IF YOU LIKE I WILL POST SOME PICTURES LATER.
    PALLE

Attached Files:

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

yeah i was looking at 'speedy bills' motor youve got pictured right there and im almost positive there truimph heads.

ive had a vair and yeah the belt design is a night mare, or awesome if you realy like changing belts i guess if you want to look at it that way:p

and of course speedy bills gotcha beat on the tempest also. hes got one with the hemi head conversion and a 6/71 on top of it.

i realy should grab my budies digi camera and take some pix of this stuff, if your ever in the area make an effort to go cvheck this collection out its insane

tim

29. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Frank Burell? He's on here. Known as FAB32. Same guy? He's got quite a collection of neat crap.

30. Wyatt
    That cab with a flat cad, now that will be a site you don't see every day.

Ya makein' any progress on that project?