Register now to get rid of these ads!

October's 4 Banger Meeting,...now in session!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CoalTownKid, Oct 1, 2007.

1. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

are you gonna have a space there this year?? If so let me know,..PM me. later,...

2. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Did the spannering at lunchtime at work much to the amusement of my colleagues :D

Brakes are now nipped up loverly, clutch back up at the top and I found that damn electrical fault. Dodgy bulb so I'm glad someone on here mentioned it. One of the filaments had a tail hanging off it and it was dangling down touching the other filament in the lamp. Replaced the bulb and job done. Except I broke a lens and left my new bottle of oil at the side of the road when I forgot to put it in the car. Ah well, I'm back having fun and that's what counts :)

3. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

After the drags and the alternator problems - I am back at square one.

The alternator has gone again

I also have the same problem as 4ever4 with my head which I also need to sort out.

I have not had many problems with my mallory .

But I am thinking of moving to a mag.

Just trying to find the time to do stuff. :rolleyes:

4. Elrod

Elrod

Another one of THEM! is mutating!!! The colony is growing.........

[​IMG]

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"the driver must burn some wood parts and the gaz go in the engine ,it becos of these that this head have some hi compression."
    Vince, I've run into a small amount of information on these wartime heads...
    Can you tell me if any numbers or writing are on the thing, and whether it has 3 or 4 bolts holding the waterpump? I might be able to identify it; I have some French and German cataloging on Fords.

6. What doesn't look right? The correct drive will look like a stock distributor drive. It should have a foot or clamping bracket (same) to locate and hold timing. The foot/bracket is usually made of cast bronze and will have a pin projecting from it that locates in the head. This is for the common "A" "B" vertical drive. Does it, or they, have the impulse? Some mechanics removed the impulse and some never had it when new. Model number 1509, impulse is 18 to 20 degrees made "30"'s and '40"'s for commercial or agriculture applications.

7. Sorry I'm no help with Wico mags as I only run Scintilla's. I would hold out for a mag with the correct drive, they are out there.

Which problem was that?!

8. Elrod

Elrod

Yeah. There was one on ebay that was most likely for jeep aplication. The base would have required machining on a lathe or something to work for a Model A. Was this one why you were asking? It went for a good price, but I missed the auction!

[​IMG]

9. I have adapted a Wico base from a Farmall tractor to a X, had to machine the base and make a new lower shaft. If I hadn't already had a X with a broken base I wouldn't have done it. The best advice is buy the right one the first time as has already been stated. It will be cheaper in the long run.

10. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

yeah thats the same style mag,...the guy never got his reserve to my knowledge.....starry eyed dreamer I assume:rolleyes:

11. davesville

davesville

good post bruce .does this mean if you identify this head vince will be ~tanking~ you

12. Vince CH

Vince CH

hi the water pump its for bolt like in the a head
    the sparks are in 14 mm
    i dont find number on this head the old guys tell me this head it build to Bucher compagnie and two oder one but i dont remember.

13. You say that is the same type mag, is it the same as you have? If so what diameter is the shank portion of the base? If 1" or more it would be a simple conversion to "A" or "B" use by a competent machinist. If larger it could be turned to size if smaller could possibly sleeved to size.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Vince, that is not the head I've been hoping to find...the German ones were B type, in the '39 and '42 series B truck engines...they were used in the wartime wood/charcoal gas generator engines and apparently in industrial engines running on natural gas.

15. jetmek

jetmek

got one. they are for constant rpm use with no advance. not very good for street use
    [​IMG]

16. Vince CH

Vince CH

my head have the 2 littel holes for work with the B block but che look like a
    A head ,promess friday i look the old guys again i askim all.

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The general rule of thumb is you need a B gasket if either head or block have the B configuration...check how the gasket fits at those holes and if they are too close to the edge

18. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Ok guys,...a little bit of trivia for you.

I picked up some nice banger parts these past few days at the swap meet I was at. Winfield SB carb, Winfield carb adapter (2-4 bolt) and something i've never seen before...
    a Winfield weighted front pulley. The old fellow I bought it off of is a real 4 banger guy that runs a Miller ohv head and we taked for some time about bangers and specifically this piece. He said that it came on the engine he acquired years ago. Supposedly it's weighted because its an engine vibration dampner? Could this be an early harmonic balancer? You'll see the shape from various angles and the stampings "Winfield Pat. Pending". thats stamped on three areas of it.

Does anyone have anymore info on it by chance?

The Winfield pulley/dampner. (sorry about the blurryness of these!!!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The stamping....
    [​IMG]

The carb and parts...has a nice blackened finish!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a shot of the numbers from the 2-4 bolt offset adapter that came attached to the carb i bought. never saw one before...pretty cool.
    [​IMG]

The 2-4 bolt carb adapter....
    [​IMG]

19. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

AACA museum, Hershey,....finally got there after passing it all the time when it was closed!!!
    If you've never been there, go, its really nice!! they have a racing exhibit, but its coming down this sunday!! bummer!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    history of the car...
    [​IMG]

ohhh,..ahhh,...winfields!!
    [​IMG]

Not a banger but nice,..more pics of the museum...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Diner they saved & put into museum,..wife & I....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gas station area,..very nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1941 chevy at gas station...
    [​IMG]

20. Elrod

Elrod

Gee! You're in PA.... What swap meet could that have been to have a bunch of cool old banger parts?!?! :D :D :D :D

Great find. That pulley is way too cool!!! It would seem that it was to cut down with vibration. Although, sitting at a stop light in my coupe with the whole thing rocking makes me feel like i've got a huge motor under the hood! heh!

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That balancer is currently reproduced, I think by the former Gene Scott outfit in Rosemead, California...it is indeed a damper. Someone also makes one that goes at the flywheel end of the crank.
    You don't need the AACA racing exhibit, as you're only a fe miles from the Lattimore valley racing museum!

22. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Oh I didnt mention hershy did I??...oh well, dead giveaway anyway though!! LOL!:D

23. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Oh yeah I know in fact a few of the cars at the AACA were on loan from Latimore. Yep, been there many times also,....very cool place.
    So this isthe one that being repo'd by Scott then? I heard about it, never saw their now one though. I think I'm going to try and get a friend of mine who's a machinist do do a few for me to use in the future and then take this one and set it on the shelf as a kind of museum piece for myself.

24. Actually, it is being reproduced by his company, Specialty Ford Parts Gene Scott passed away a few years back. Some people have had a clearance problem with these, I think it has to do with the spring clamps but it does help. I know of one fellow that had one from a chevy big block, he said it weighed 18 lbs. I don't know about the ones that work in the flywheel. I have read where some try to balance the weight of the flywheel and the balancer. The one from the big block was on a flathead "B" with a 12 lb. Al. flywheel and he informed me that he raced the roadster for 2 years hitting 6600 RPM' twice a lap. Quite an interesting engine, had 4 intake ports, "BB" crank, and ran 10 to 1 compression. It put out 168 horses.

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Scott's old place, formerly a major hot rod/resto source and famous Ford junkyard, should be a banger national shrine!
    Store is a museum of general neat stuff, neat stuff they used to sell, and neat stuff they still sell...and it is hard to tell which is which. No website, no real catalog, somewhat hard to figure out and deal with, but neat stuff you can't get elsewhere and rumored warehouses full of Strombergs and goodies...
    If you visit Mexico, go to Rosemead, not Disneyland!
    I had to be dragged out kicking, screaming, and broke by my family...

26. GARY?

GARY?

Hey Mangus, do you have a photo of your dual exhaust setup with out the intake in the way by chance?
    That auto looks mighty smart I gotta say.:)

Which sets me up for a semi-related question;
    Does anybody foresee a problem with an intake and exhaust manifold being essentially a one piece design. Both being welded to the same flange. Heating up the intake issues, or who knows???

27. jetmek

jetmek

hell ya...i had a chance to hang with a former employee from the 60's...he said they had 55 gallon drums of strombergs. coaltown kid ....i spied that balancer there for at least 2 years now and almost took it home . same guy has some other cool stuff. a neat item but functional? maybe

28. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

possibility of vapor-lock comes to mind,....

29. GARY?

GARY?

yeah, That has come to mind.
    Is that why manifolds, intake and exhaust are typically cast pieces (because they dispate heat better)? Or is it simply because it's more cost effective as a manufactured part?

"bang diddy bang bang"

30. Wildfire

Wildfire

I've seen on on the 'net that was made from a flange and tube. Don't know if it had issues or not. I'd think that the aluminum intakes warm up pretty quick, transferring heat from the steel exhaust headers.