Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods OCTOBER BANGER THREAD not so frightening yet.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weeks46, Oct 1, 2009.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

I started a post on this but guess I should ask here too. Does anyone belong to or know someone that is in the NO NAME RACE CAR CLUB in the LA area? Need to find someone that remembers cars in the club back in 1974. Thanks! Bob

2. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Do you guys re-pop the 2 gauge pod that mounts under the instrument cluster? Ive been looking for one.

3. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Hey fellas, i need a bit of help. I just got the pickup running decent, and I wanted to go through the brakes. I pulled the drums and clenaed the inside out a little bit. The shoes look decent, but i was wondering how to adjust them? I was assuming i used the large nut on the top of the backing plate, but it didnt work like I thought. Any help, thanks guys...

4. I just picked one up yesterday from Sacramento Vintage Ford. Chrome...Nice piece.:D

5. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

6. That speedster is sweeeeeeeeeeet!

Sam

7. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

So, I as I mentioned briefly last month, my crank broke...

[​IMG]

I've done a lot of miles with this engine and have given it plenty of right foot when I wanted to, but it is still a nasty shock to have this happen. In my '26 Touring, this engine had run 17.3 @ 77mph, with me leaving the line at 2,000rpm and shifting around 3,500 through a 4.11 quick-change. I pulled it from the T and put it into my Tudor for the drags over here earlier this month and ran 22's and had loads of fun. Didn't break there though, it waiting until I bibbling down the road at no speed whatsoever to the hardware shop last Saturday afternoon.

Here's the other broken bit...

[​IMG]

My fear was that it had trashed the block in some way, which is an A 'diamond' that has been pressurised, ported and has big valves etc, but the damaged looks to have been confined to no.4 rod, cap and inserts.

[​IMG]

Bit of a loss what to do with it at the moment. Offered the block to someone who is building a Bonneville car, but not sure whether he'll take me up on the offer. Otherwise it'll have to wait until I can afford another crank and all the work it'll need doing to fit. I've got another pressurised banger which just needs building up which can go in - in fact, the original engine from the tudor - but that'll leave a hole in the T. Decisions, decisions...:rolleyes:

I'm also probably going to reignite the harmonic balancer debate at some point...

8. old1928fordguy

old1928fordguy
    from colorado

Yes is the answer to your question Phil

9. I think it was $29.00

10. andyg

andyg

crazy

the answer is no. it's still running although it's not a smooth power curve. i am waiting on a couple new head gaskets for it. i want to take the head off and find perfect TDC and the make marks on the crank pulley, etc. Friend has CNC that I can use to make accuate marks on the pull and then I'll put a pointer on it.

After that I'm going to measure where it's at now so I can learn why it's running like it is and then work forward from there. I don't want to change it now because i have a theory of what's wrong...but i want to prove be able to prove my theory first before i fix it. that way if i run across an engine that is running similar to mine now, i will have a better idea of what's going on inside it.

andy g

11. andyg

andyg

artiki,

anything strange before the break or totally unexpected?

old ford guy,

welcome aboard. i think i talked to you earlier this year on the phone. i was looking at buying a 30 standard roadster that (I thought) your place worked on. cool ride you have....LOVE to hear that you drive if for everyday!

12. matt--8

matt--8

BEST THREADS EVER!

matt.

13. andyg

andyg

yes...and what's your flavor matt?

14. matt--8

matt--8

chocolate........o did u mean engine type? banger powered thats what am hopeing for in the not to distant future. :D

15. andyg

andyg

matt
    any current projects?

16. matt--8

matt--8

nope :( am only 17. But am workin on me dads 32 roadster not banger powered tho...

17. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Yeah...only an hour or two earlier I remember thinking to myself how well it was running :rolleyes:

18. andyg

andyg

everyone......a moment of silence for artiki.

now build it back better!

19. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Dear 37, I was in the "No Name" group at that time.

20. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

I just scored a carb/intake/exhaust setup yesterday. It looks like someone flipped the intake and installed a glass bowl holley. Anybody seen this before?

21. Piewagn

Piewagn

Andy,
    What dizzy are you running?? I had major driveability problems with mine that I had to figure out. I put a timing light on it and brought the rpms up and my advance barely moved. I bought the timing kit from Snyders and bolted the timing tab to the engine, got it to TDC, marked the pulley and checked my timing, my base was way to advanced. I took the dist apart and stretched the springs until I had advance coming in right off idle up through the power band. I set my total advance at 30deg, which put my base at around 10deg. She runs awsome now!! I'm using the Mallory points dist. I did have to stretch the spring in incriments until I got the desired advance, which meant taking the breaker plate off several times. I did get it dialed in nicely though. Hope this helps!

22. ebtm3

ebtm3

Did just that back in the 70's on an engine that I had in a pickup. Had a Roof head -- overhead intake only-- the same one that Yapp is repopping now. Carb worked fine (with an electric pump). Head was a worthless pos. Intake guides were in a rocker box casting that bolted to the head which had the valve seats-this ensured that the two were never in line with each other. Yapp has changed some things, but last I looked, this "feature" was still in his head.
    Overall my pickup could not accelerate as fast as a friends station wagon--much heavier vehicle--that was stock except for a Winfield crowsfoot head.

Herb Kephart

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  23. Piewagn

Piewagn

24. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

:D I appreciate the sentiment. Believe me, there has been plenty of silence in the garage since it happened. Much of it taken up by me standing around staring at the carnage.

Forgot to mention, this month saw the last drag meet of the year over here, including the Flathead Meltdown. The V8's saw a new record of 12.63 on bias ply tyres, plus there were five banger-powered cars competing for the Four-Banger Meltdown title which HAMBer 'The Wrong-Un' won in his Winfield-carb'd sport coupe. The full race report including ETs can be read here...(click here)

[​IMG]

25. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Love the quarter elliptical front springs.

Here's a shot of my splayed rears.

Attached Files:

26. Elrod

Elrod

Had an unforgettable week last week. My wife and I traveled to San Fran and also to Yosemite National park and stayed at a bed and breakfast called The Tin Lizzie Inn that also rents out Model Ts and As. We took out the 1929 roadster for the day and it handled the steep grades and narrow cliff roads like a champ. Those mechanical brakes would lock the tires up if needed, so no worries on coming down the mountain. All and all it was one of the best vacations I've ever been on!

A few pictures of the 1929 roadster...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It got pretty chilly being up at that high altitude later in the day so we had to stop and buy a scarf and hat to keep us warm in the open car!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He also had a few other great cars available to drive at the B&B including this 1910 Ford

[​IMG]

A very very early 1928 AR touring car...

[​IMG]

a 1931 Deluxe roadster
    [​IMG]

and a 1915 touring car that he taught us how to drive. Neither my wife or I have ever driven a T and it was quite an experience!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He also had a really cool gas cart that I would love to have in my garage!!

[​IMG]

If you're looking for an unforgettable car related vacation, I HIGHLY recommend this as a must do!!!

27. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

I'm headed out to Hershey with BCCHOPIT this week. I was wondering what vendors would be banger related? 37kid, Chevygirlrox, and anybody else, have any info? I know there is a thread listing vendor spaces, just wanted to know which carried banger stuff:D

Thanks

28. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Elrod,
    Damn that looks like a great time!:D:cool::D:cool::D:cool:

29. Sticks

Sticks

All,
    Thought you all would dig this story of the 26 T roadster.
    I'm hoping to use the old t motor trans etc.
    I'm very green to the t stuff
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405029

thanks
    Sticks

P.S. I dig the pic of the shadoe of the roadster on the rocks...very cool. Thanks.

30. Personal best at the Newport Hill Climb Sunday. Competing in F2 class.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014