Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***October 2022 Banger Meet Thread - Happy All Hallows Eve**

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Oct 1, 2022.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Current tagged Buckeye halotron extinguisher located to driver’s left, plus a heavy-duty battery cutoff switch located right in front of the seat riser.

winduptoy likes this.
  2. noboD

noboD

3. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Just figured out that I was posting on the wrong thread…:oops:

Another step toward gettin the Akron-Hed running!:D

65B29285-7A0A-400A-85C6-6D3196F4E8BD.jpeg 3A46506A-1C23-4C53-942F-707C08797CFC.jpeg

GuyW, Outback, G Baese and 8 others like this.
  4. noboD

noboD

How many hours of printing did that take? Will you use it as a pattern for casting? Looks perfect!!

winduptoy likes this.
  5. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

This part is A356 T6 cast aluminum. It was the sand that was 3D printed. No pattern necessary. All you need is a 3D design of the part you want… and a credit card!:eek:

Here is a pic of the 3D printed mold
    2670F6D1-1BF2-4150-954D-CA0A42657F55.jpeg

GuyW, Outback, Jet96 and 7 others like this.
  6. noboD

noboD

Cool. I have heard of printing the mold. I saw an engine block, 6 cylinder I think, that was done this way. Had to be spendy.

winduptoy and akkhotrod like this.
  7. raaf

raaf

@Kevin Pharis - do you mind elaborating on what you shared? If those are sand casting molds, they certainly don't look single use.

fur biscuit likes this.
  8. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

The part is a water manifold for a Fronty water pump, oil pump, magneto side drive for a T. Admittedly, I don’t have a Fronty side drive, but intend to route some water from the stock water pipe to inject some water at the front and especially the back of the block. I currently have rear cylinder heating issues and expect the Akron-Hed will be no different.

1C2A90F1-FDB3-4D05-817B-30D77EA4B583.png

The sand is 3D printed and definitely single use. Not exactly affordable to go this way… but if you really want a few parts, it’s about the same cost as a pattern. It’s quick too… parts delivered in bout 4-6 weeks! My experience with old fashioned patterns has be 6-18 months!!!:eek:

G Baese, Jet96, winduptoy and 4 others like this.
  9. noboD

noboD

Kevin, what do you think a ball park estimate for a mold would be for a full engine block? The block standing on the bell housing was about 4 feet tall. Was for a tractor that is the only one known to exist.

fur biscuit likes this.
  10. raaf

raaf

11. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Since all aspects of the mold are printed… you wind up paying for the sum of the cubic volume that all mold components individually occupy. Similar to shipping a series of parts in boxes, you pay for all the space that all the boxes occupy. There are also engineering and setup charges that fluctuate with part completely. If I had only poured 1 of these water manifolds, it would have been about $2000. An entire engine block…?! You better start saving yur lunch money!:eek:

Jet96, ottoman and winduptoy like this.
  12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also check rotation on your bowtie dizzy or you may not have mechanical advance

13. alchemy

alchemy

Yes, I am trying to use a RotoFaze which seems like I can flip the advance weights to the other direction rather easily.

14. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of the many things that have been a mental hang up for me on getting going with the T has been a camshaft. I just don't feel a like a race car or speedster should have a stock off the shelf cam. So I've been trying to get a model A camshaft modified for a T block. And basically it's been impossible. Mentally I've been trying to psych myself up to pay a lot of money to have a full custom camshaft made. So, the day after I send my email that I'm gonna pull the trigger on a full custom cam, the guy I have been chasing off and on for 5 years, let's me know the model A cam I have been asking about is mostly done and maybe ready to be shipped to the cam grinder! When it rains, it pours!

Outback, Jet96 and The37Kid like this.
  15. Have you looked into having the cam welded up and reground? The original Ford cams are good material and proper welding works great
    The other question is about the cam bearings and the tunnel thru the block

john

Outback, Old Dawg and ottoman like this.
  16. guitarguy

guitarguy

Rick Carnegie in Washington can have cams reground. He did one for my Fronty on a more sedate engine combo. He needs 26-27 cores though. I sent him two to pick the best one to use. I'm not sure who he uses, possibly Delta Cams? But just send it to him and he can take care of you, have the rest of your engine specs ready (compression, stroke, head type / brand, overall useage)

Outback likes this.
  17. Jiminy

Jiminy

18. Doug.

Neilson is right. Once you get a "Blank" cam (not reground, including the journals); I think you might want to contact Elgin Engineering in Petaluma. Dema Elgin is now retired; but his former shop foreman is still in charge. Over the years they've amasses a ton of data of just about every cam ever made. Dema, of course had been close friend and disciple of Ed Winfield. Elgin set up his shop to deliver valve timing to the customer; crafted to the customer's needs including the vehicle, it's engine and use. They'll ask you everything except the size of your Jock Strap!

GuyW, Outback and fur biscuit like this.
  19. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got to help build up about a half dozen engines using Dema's cams, have his book on "High Performance Engine Design Theory", reference it all the time. That is where I have been wanting to send a cam. My cam spec sheet has been on file for years, waiting. Actually filed another one out this week, emailed in and called to confirm. Guess I had never thought about having a T cam built up and reground. It was sad reading his eulogy for Mr. Winfield.

Outback likes this.
  20. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Do you ever have problems with the tap not flowing enough for the pump to push? That is a really neat set up that I think I might use on mine .

21. I've got a pair of 40 DCOE Webers - where did you find the manifold?