Register now to get rid of these ads!

Obtaining a title …

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by colorado51, Feb 22, 2007.

1. colorado51

colorado51

I recently bought a car from Dragrcr50 here on the HAMB.

This car doesn’t have a title, but the correct VIN plate is still in place.

I can go through the channels here in Colorado to obtain a title, but let me tell ya, it is a huge drawn out process.

The other day I ran across these guys, http://www.tinafayscrafts.com/TITLECARS.html , for $235 they give you a clear title and bill of sale with your car’s VIN number on it.

Anyone heard of this place?
    Any recommendations on other places that offer this service?

Thanks,

Dave

2. bigolds

bigolds

I have heard of guys selling titles with a bill of sale and a vin plate. I have no idea how anyone can get you a title with YOUR vin number, unless they are the current title holder. Good luck...this will be a good one to watch!!!!

3. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I've never used them, but have seen these guys advertised all over for help with title issues. My guess is they handle all of the lost title type paperwork, bond, etc. and then get you a clean and clear title.

Try http://www.broadwaytitle.com/ and see if they can help.

4. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

I've used International Title Service 3 times. Works great, and costs less than $150.

5. colorado51

colorado51

I sent them an e-mail asking more questions, but I *think* this is how they do it;

I give them all the info, and a bill of sale (as if they purchased the car from me). Then they apply for a lost title. Once they get the title, they sign it over to me and give me a bill of sale, as if I purchased the car from them.

6. Dave,
    Please keep us posted on your journey.
    My '50 lacks title and vin plate so I may have to do the long process.

Thom

7. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I have used ITS title before also and other than being a little slow it worked out fine. What they do is they are in state that does not use titles for older cars. You then sell your car to them and they sell it back with a certificate that they would use to title it in their state. You can then take that to your courthouse and get a title. There are some states that do not recognise this certificate.
    If you know someone in a no title state I think they can do the same thing for you.There was a thread not long ago on no-title states. Best of luck.

8. colorado51

colorado51

Ooo, no vin plate?

You might need to go to a junk yard a get a VIN plate first.

9. colorado51

colorado51

They are in Nevada, right?

10. ...I've used Broadway Title Service several times with no problems.
    You supposedly sell them your car, they sell it back to you with bill of sale and all other paperwork needed to get a clear title in your state. Make sure you ask if their service is accepted in your state. I think most title services work this way.
    Keep us posted on your progress, this is good info to know.

11. rpol7966

rpol7966

I have used Broadway Title in Alabama three times and have another title application in process as we speak. Two of these titles were for a friend in Wisconsin where the Alabama bill of sale is NOT recognized. I received the Illinois titles for his cars and "sold" the cars to him. He then applied for Wisconsin titles. Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through but it works within the system.
    My latest was for my '41 Ford pickup which I have not received the title back. I just had a call yesterday that the title will be issued in the next few days.
    What I always do is to have a law officer run a search of the VIN to make sure that the vehicle is clear of any problems, liens etc. I do this BEFORE I ever buy a "no title" vehicle. If there are any red flags the state WILL NOT issue a title.
    I know of an instance where an individual used a VIN for an early Ford of the model year of his car. He knew the starting and ending VIN of that model year's production and randomly picked a VIN between those numbers. He gambled as to whether the VIN he used will be in use or if it belonged to a "dead soldier".
    You need to determine if Colorado wil accept a bill of sale from a "non title" state like Alabama. If they will, the process is pretty straight forward. It will take several weeks but the end result is a good title in your possesion.

12. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Based on personal experiences, DMV in LaPlata (Durango) and San Miguel (Telluride) won't touch an Alabamba title with a 10 foot pole! Went the bonded title route with no problems

13. ray

ray
    from colorado

why doesn't it have a vin plate? titles get lost, no big deal, but it takes effort on someones part to remove the vin plate. that should be a big red flag to any potential buyers.

14. Well, I've got "some" of it :rolleyes:
    The last 3 digits are missing because the A pillar was cut there during the chop.
    LOL The vin tag was originally held on with screws, I have no idea why it was choped and not just unscrewed. maby on purpose? but I don't know that. I've got a notorized bill of sale to cover my ass.

Anyhow, I've already spoken to the state patrol inspection officer.
    He said basically it's no big whoop, the'll search the car for another number (and fail ;) ) then the state will issue a new number.

15. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

The car didn't come out of or have a previous title in Colo. did it? If it did Pm me and I can help