Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods O'Brien Truckers valve cover breather

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by firstgear, Feb 11, 2016.

1. firstgear

firstgear

i found on their website a photo of this breather mounted on the outside of the valve cover . On this nailhead engine I don't see a problem, but if I was to mount this same breather on the outside of a SBC valve cover I am concerned that oil will fill up the breather and a mess will be forthcoming.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of setup mounted on the outside of the valve cover on a SBC where the heads are at an angle? Should I be concerned or no problem?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

your conclusions are correct if using on SBC

3. firstgear

firstgear

Have you seen any with this type of breather that puked? Or are you guessing like me?

4. firstgear

firstgear

I just recalled seeing something similar on a car at GOODGUYS SCOTTSDALE 2010. That looks very similar to what I am talking about......at the time I didn't ask him if there were issues with oil coming out, only where he got them now that I think of it....he said that they were some brand name and that he had that machined off, polished up and chromed.....

I guess this is encouraging.....would feel better if a few people said oh yeah....that's how mine looks and I have xx,xxx miles on them with no issue.......anyone?

Attached Files:

5. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

It says it uses open cell foam for baffling so I'm not really sure. Are you using a high volume oil pump?

6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I couldnt tell you for sure but they look as if they would be high enoughtthat you wouldnt have a messy leaky oil problem.

7. firstgear

firstgear

No, I am not......

8. I have similar breathers on two of my SBC's and it uses the closed cell foam inside to minimize vapors and blow-by.
    Works very effectively.
    Blow-by is minimal on my engine due to it being a rebuilt with only 4,000 miles on it, although it was built by a circle track guy that used race motor clearances and specs.
    Occasionally I need to wipe off a little mist on the valve covers from the breather areas but I think it's more a rubber grommet fit issue than anything else.
    I had a pair of Moon breathers on another SBC a few years ago and they were excellent. No weeping whatsoever from them.
    Gotta keep that shiny chrome and paint clean!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  9. firstgear

firstgear

Perfect! Thank you

10. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I got a high mileage 327 i run them on, lots of higher rpms and high speed with an open engine bay and no problems other than just a little residue. I did make sure they drain good so oil doesnt pool at the gasket.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- not talking about oil puking - just seeps ever so slowly into breather then over time a fine film will settle on motor, engine bay, etc. with no reverse flow back to heads where it is supposed to be breathing will be affected with foam in filter being partly blocked. plus, if you are running these how do you put oil in motor? if must run, put smaller ones on top or top side of covers.

12. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

When I install them, I mark on the valve cover where I want them. Then I drill the holes into the valve cover with one or two of them right at the bottom, so the oil will drain back into the valve cover. I don't cut out the whole section and on Moon breathers they have internal baffles that keep the oil from coming out the top.

Edit: The holes as drain backs only work if you mount them above the valve cover. Moon makes their lowboy ones so that they will fit between the valve covers and carb.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    Atwater Mike likes this.
  13. firstgear

firstgear

In the past I have pulled off the valve covers...I have the expensive valve cover gaskets that I have no problem using with lots of change outs.

I think I am ok with a fine film.......

14. firstgear

firstgear

l
    is this what you do when you mount to valve cover? Excuse my crude sketch....

Attached Files:

15. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Yep, I would add a couple to the top too, but you get the idea.

16. firstgear

firstgear

Thanks.....

17. I run those on my SBC and have no problem. Mine are originals with non removable top, not sure if they are the same inside.

[​IMG]

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Kiwi Kev - Cool ride - pull V/C to add oil? - what coating on headers?

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I ran them on my T Bucket and the only problem was a small bit of oil vapor after a long drive. And I mean a loooong, all day, non-stop drive.

20. These are old Offys, no oil problems , work fine on my blown 406. WIN_20150308_151943.JPG

21. stimpy

stimpy

also if you epoxy a small fine screen it helps catch any larger volumes of oil in the mist just put a curve in the screen and not place it against the valvecover side