Register now to get rid of these ads!

Obligatory introduction from a Buckeye

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by D-Day, Jun 12, 2011.

1. D-Day

D-Day
    from NW Ohio

Howdy...

Just thought I'd put an introduction up, since I'd like to start posting, but seems a formal custom around here to do this first. An introduction I will give!

My name is Caleb, 24 years of age. Dwelling in the northwest of Ohio all my life save for the occasions of roaming the highways in various other states throughout the years.

Hmm, this is off to a rough start. Lemme just say that what really brought me here is that I recently acquired one of my dream cars, a 1960 Cadillac. In trying to find a good car forum somewhat related to mine to learn more in the days before I picked it up, I ran into this place and got stuck.

The combined expertise, knowledge, experience and wisdom of this place truly humbles me. Right now I'm just shutting up and listening, but making this introduction so I can start to chime in when I can - not that I can really offer much at this point.

Hopefully I'm not too out of place with a '60 Caddy, but in my defense I have a 1954 Plymouth Savoy project. A very stalled project, due to my dad passing away a few years ago and lack of knowledge or old school acquaintances to do anything myself. Some titling issues with it, for obvious reasons, kinda just made me forget about it for the time being.

Any money I had I went into keeping my daily driver and do-everything vehicle rolling was my 1973 Chevy crew cab. Any and all spare money went to it, and that wasn't much. Had that truck since I was 14, still do and still drive it, and cut my teeth working on old trucks more than anything. Always wanted a hot rod too, but...some things are fate. I ended up with a truck. I will never sell that truck, I love it too much.

But after saving a while and some breaks in good fortune and deal finding, I have a car that I have desired since I was a kid. This thread is worthless without pics, so I will try and get some up here soon; both of the Caddy, and some old pictures of the Plymouth just for the record. But mainly of the Caddy.

This is a great place with a great atmosphere; smells like a stale garage...the best smell.

And judging by all the projects here, I feel like a real underachiever! I need to get choppin', droppin', or sloppin' paint...dang!

edit: Some pics of the Cadillac...first two are quickies I took (not good ones, will get more later), and the other two are from the seller's listing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the Plymouth, from years ago.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  2. Caleb,
    Welcome from north of you.

3. 49oldscoupe

49oldscoupe

Welcome from North Canton, Ohio.

4. pumpman

pumpman

Welcome from Union Pier, MI. Damn, I forgot how freakin big those bad boy's were. Sweet.

5. Welcome to the H.A.M.B. from Des Moines, Iowa!

6. welcome from SW ohio

7. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Welcome from GA

Grommet

8. Ohio Rodder

Ohio Rodder

Welcome from Dayton!

9. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

hello from ytown ! and nice cars looks like some fun

10. Hey there from north ridgeville!
    that caddy looks like fun!
    I know a great lawyer who figures out all that title stuff pm if you want the info

11. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Welcome from NJ!

Cool Cady!!!

12. D-Day

D-Day
    from NW Ohio

Much obliged y'all for the warm welcomes. 31Vicky, I just might take you up on that. I appreciate the reference.

I still haven't gotten any better pictures, save for one for the car show in my town of Bowling Green, OH today. I had to find my editing software as I shoot in RAW...bit of a bugger, but I like the options.

Unfortunately, there was a sore lack of hot rods there...mostly street rods, muscle cars. Corvettes out the ass. 5 other Cadillacs there I believe - I was humbled by the only other '60 there...an Eldorado Biarritz. Hoo! There were some nice restored period correct classics there, so I guess that sorta made up for lack of hot rods. There were a handful, but not many. I think the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz took the cake for "WTF are you thinking?" factor. I mean really? Damn.

My car was way outclassed in terms of paint, detailing and etc., but I don't care about plaques, trophies or judging; I'm just there to see the other cars. Soon as I shut it off, I stepped out and started walking. After I got my registration paper in the window, that's all I did all day was walk the show...probably spent a grand total of 10 minutes near my car in the 7 hours I was there.

Even though I tried to get there early (registration began at 8am, I got there a little after 9am), I got placed between some muscle cars and modern Mustangs...euhhff. Oh well. I wore the hell out of my arms polishing the entire evening yesterday, even polished some chrome by halogen light, then finished the chrome at first light and cleaned the windows. I was misinformed on the date, so I had to do it in a rush. Between the detailing, lack of sleep, more detailing and then walking all day in the 90 degree heat, I was a bit tired.

My only regret was that I didn't have enough time/money to get my HAMB Alliance membership to represent.

Attached Files: