Register now to get rid of these ads!

o/t visiting St.Petersburg Fla.middle of Dec.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6-71, Nov 13, 2006.

1. 6-71

6-71

I will be visiting family in the middle of Dec. and wondered if there was anything of interest to a car guy, going on between the 13th to 18th of dec.:)

2. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

I don't know about local cruises, but I would certainly take the time to run up to Ocala to check out Don Garlits Museum. It's half devoted to all the early dragsters and half to his own personal collection of old cars. Outstanding! Allow yourself at least 2-3 hours to wander and look.

There's also a small but neat little classic car museum down in Sarasota. I had nothing to do one day last summer and wandered in. Ended up staying about 2 hours and felt it was very worthwhile.

Didnt take any kids or the wife on either visit, so I had no whiners or complainers bugging me to get going. Walked at my own pace. It would have been fun to have a car buddy along but it was just my wife and daughter on that trip to Florida.

3. The Garlits museum should be #1 on the list. Not far from St. Petersburg. Its like walking thru a time machine. He also has one room just for old race engines. Should be a required stop for any gearhead going to Fla.

4. Mutt

Mutt

There will be a lot of cars with seemingly no drivers, until you get alongside and see that the driver is too short to see over the wheel.

Then you have the Q-tips - little old blue haired ladies whose hair will stick up over the head rest.

The world's best collection of left turn signals blinking in the right lane.

Even the drive in restaurants have early bird specials for those of us over 55.

Car hops with name tags over their breasts that make sparks as the tags drag on the ground.

Greasers with lots of tattoos wearing black socks with sandals, their combover in a duck tail.

You get the idea....:eek: :D

Mutt

5. Grinderspark

Grinderspark

Biff Burger, Steak and Shake and Burger King in Pinellas Park. Usually the same 30-40 cars make the circuit to each location. Car shows suck down here. Do the Don Garlits trip.
    I live in Clearwater-if you want to stop by for a cold one, gimme a holler. Always neat to meet a new face from outta town.