Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T - Vintage boat help....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spitfire1776, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

....Need to find a good source for Mercury outboard motors, old ones. My pops just bought a "new" vintage boat that has a 1967 Mercury 50HP on it. The distributor is shot. He's having a hell of a hard time finding a rplacement or rebuild parts or tech sources. Anybody got any info, I could pass to him? He's in Sebring, FL, so someplace around Central FL would be golden. But any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I wonder if the old VW distributor fixall would work, like it does for so many other things.

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

if push comes to shove, there are a few vintage boat type places up here in the land of the missing rocker panel,,, these guys up here dig vintage floaters more than vintage tin so... :rolleyes:

i'll ask around and see what comes up if you have a tough time down that way

3. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

There are a couple of sites that may be more helpful in finding parts,
    www.fiberglassics.com
    www.iboats.com

Have message boards and links, iboats sells stuff also. Old boats are pretty cool, here is mine...

Attached Files:

4. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

I check out those sites, and let him know about MN.

Appreciate it.

Thanks guy

5. TvanD

TvanD
    from Newton IA

There's a site called Antique Outboard Club or something similar. Like all other collecting sicknesses there's a club. Been on it a few times and the people are real down to earth. They won't even post a "what's it worth?" cause they don't want money to screw up their fun.

6. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

I called a dealer here in Riverview that has helped me out in the past. He says your dad is looking at a magneto instead of a dizzy. The whole unit is no longer available, but parts to rebuild it are.
    If your dad calls him, have him get the serial number off of the motor to make sure we are talking the same thing.
    The name of the dealer is:
    Keiths Marine in Riverview, Fl.
    Phone number is 813-677-4058

7. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Thanks, I'll pass it along. He did say he thought it was a mag, but the local boat shop kept calling it a distributor. Boats aren't my thing, airplanes and cars yeah, but boats I don't know what they used run on them. I figure he should find a local dude that rebuilds mags, and have that done. But I guess he wants to find replacement parts first (probably cheaper) or at least have the knowledge of where to look for future parts.