Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T: "The Arches" gas station in Newport Beach

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jangleguy, Dec 8, 2007.

1. jangleguy

jangleguy

In the process of researching a story I'm working on, I got stumped on this:
    I need a photo of "The Arches" gas station in Newport Beach, California, circa 1961. It was built in 1922. There was a restaurant there too, that's still going today, but the station is gone now (anyone know what year it was torn down?).
    Online searches uncovered lots of info on the restaurant (even current menues) and a few fond memories of the station, but not a single photo. I'll gladly give photo credit, if anyone has a magazine worthy shot.
    I've only been to southern California once (I've been home, hiding under the bed, ever since), so I know nothing of this stuff. How 'bout it, guys?

2. jangleguy

jangleguy

Anyone? Anyone at all? Beuller?

3. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

You might contact the city of Newport Beach, and inquire about sources for vintage photos of area buildings.

4. aquaelvis

aquaelvis
    from N. Idaho

You might go over to www.oldgas.com and ask on their boards. The guys over there are cool and have TONS of info about old gas.

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Sad to here its gone. A real icon back in the 60's. When we saw the "Arches" we knew we were headin into Newport for Easter Week break.

The City of Newport Beach Library would be my guess for a photo. City librarys usually are the stewerds of the historic archives...

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

7. Back in the 50s it was a family landmark. We spent a lot of time at Newport and all of our directions to anyplace in the area started with "from the Arches."

8. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

That was it on the Ebay picture. I grew up there. There used to be one fast
    33 or 34 chopped Ford run out of there late at night. I think it was a 270
    Jimmy and it was Blue. Used to street race out on by Merle's Drive In in
    the late 50's.
    Ron

9. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

The gas station used to be where that bld and parking lot on the very
    corner of that map picture

10. jangleguy

jangleguy

Wow! I wasn't getting any response, so I went out to the shop for "just a minute" (5 hours) and when I return, I find this. Thanks guys! Unfortunately, my screwed up computer won't let me use the link to that photo, so I tried typing it into my server and still no dice. I'm cryin'. Will try it later, at the girlfriends house.
    Thanks also for the personal memories of that place. I'll pass them on:
    I'm writing Jeff Jahns' life story. He owned The Arches from '61-'63 (roughly - his memory is shakey). It's a minor part of the story, but I found it interesting enough to research a little. Anyway, Jeff did his share of racing down there, on the street and strip - so I'll ask him about a badass blue Model 40 six shooter that hung around Merles - chances are, Jeff has a story about it...
    Thanks again guys. You're all heroes!
    Scotty

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Scotty, That print on Ebay is 11X14, so if you were to get it you could probably crop it down to show the station without losing too much resolution.
    Again, try the archives at the Newport Beach Library...
    We'll keep looking for ya....

12. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks, Zoomie. I'm not a giver-upper...

13. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

There's a fishing tackle/kite/gifts, etc shop right behind the Crab Cooker restuarant that has old 11x14 B&W prints of old Newport Beach. I have seen the arches gas station in some of them. I just don't know the name of the place that sells them.

14. jangleguy

jangleguy

Okay. The girlfriends computer worked better. Got to see the ebay shot - found a better one on there that I might buy. So thanks for pointing me in the right direction, guys. Once again, the magic of the HAMB got me to where I wasn't sure I could go...

15. markanthony

markanthony

Do your research quick! There's something going on with the Arches currently... about 4 weeks ago your typical 8' construction barrier/fence was put up and there's been nothing going on there for a while. I remember seeing a spot on the news about them having to shut down so who knows what's going on.

"For those who have never visited Orange County’s oldest restaurant, you’d better hurry. The Arches is closing down this 80-plus-years location and is re-opening in an as yet undisclosed spot. So, head down to the corner of Pacific Coast Highway and Newport Boulevard for a huge menu of classics that covers everything from abalone to sweetbreads and puts the accent on tableside preparations. Stone crab claws, a South Florida seasonal delicacy, are a specialty item. You can't go wrong if you order any of The Arches' Prime beef entrées---and there are dozens. The hefty wine list has some of the best prices in town. If you're looking for a real dining bargain, take advantage of the Blue Plate luncheon specials or the dinner specials served on Sunday and Monday nights. "

Seems like the establishment picked up and moved down the st from where I work but if you want the scoop on what's happening the building contact the City of Newport Beach.

Or... call the restaurant up...

The Arches Home Page
    restaurant (949) 645-7077

508 29th St.
    Newport Beach, CA 92663
    Mon-Fri 11:00am- 3:00pm
    Daily 4:00pm- 11:00pm
    Tel: (949) 645-7077
    Fax: (949) 645-4718
    Arches on the Water
    2816 Lafayette St.
    Newport Beach, CA 92663
    Wed thru Sun 4:00pm- 11:00pm
    Tel: (949) 673-1204

16. flyin-t

flyin-t

I never saw the Arches, but did a search, cause I like old historical shit from the 20s 30s 40s and 50s, and in about 10 seconds found this on a flyer. Cropped the other stuff out. Hope it's what you're talking about. lol

opps, I just re-read your post and see that you were looking for a 60's pic...oh well. Cool old gas station anyway.

17. photofink

photofink

The Arches is going to be torn down and a mini mall is going to take its place, I think its going to be high end, pricey, only for the wealthy, type of mall.
    Balboa Funzone was reported to be in danger of going away too. ...you can do anything with lots of money in Newport Beach

18. yea newport sucks, the food sucks, the people suck altho the flooding was kinda fun.

19. jangleguy

jangleguy

Yikes! Guess I better panic! I'll tell Jeff about the mall taking over - on second thought, he really doesn't need news like that right now. But thanks for getting me up to date, guys - you're all rulers...
    And special thanks to Flyin' T - I probably saw that photo and didn't even notice the gas station hidden in there - good eye, mate!

20. I don't have a photo of no steenking bridge but I have a stellar photo of this pig..

Attached Files:

• pig.jpg
      pig.jpg
      File size:
      64.1 KB
      Views:
  21. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

That's a mighty fine pig!

22. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hey Jangle Guy,
    Went and ck'd this place out for you & your friend.
    Tell him Not to worry, The building is safe, a New Alcoholic Permit - license is being issued the the New Owner Los Arcos restaurant and they are not tearing this building down. Infact-It is in the middle of a remodel. Have pics so email me if ya like.
    CK

23. photofink

photofink

I guess the plan changed for the good! I read about the take over and plan for the mini mall a while back in our local newpaper, I saw it fenced off recently and figured it was a done deal.
    Lot of older locals with pull probably had a hissy fit over the plans.
    So is it going to be Los Arcos or stay the Arches?