Register now to get rid of these ads!

O.t. Stolen Corvette Found,STOLEN IN 1969!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by g503, Jan 15, 2006.

1. A Corvette stolen in January 1969 from a Queens, N.Y. resident was found in a shipping container destined for Sweden by a special unit of the California Highway Patrol, it was announced Tuesday.

The CHP's Foreign Export and Recovery Task Force seized the convertible on Nov. 28, according to Officer Joe Zizi.

Several agencies became involved in extensive research for the original stolen vehicle report and other information on the Corvette, Zizi said.

The owner, Alan Poster, will be reunited with his Corvette next Tuesday at a U.S. Customs facility in Carson.

2. Tony

Tony

WOW..
    Thats pretty cool!
    Strange how they found a car that was stolen in '69 but can't find something that was stolen a few weeks back..
    Good for the owner!!

I've been wondering what happened to that Shelby mustang that was on Ebay a few month's back..
    The auction was ended shortly after someone on here said it was stolen back in 79 or something..

3. Anderson

Anderson

So when the insurance company asks him to repay what they shelled out when it was stolen....does he pay back what they originally gave him, or that much plus inflation, or current value? Doesn't the insurance company own the car now?

4. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

whos to say he even had insurance back then?

5. 55olds88

55olds88

I'm with you Tony, I guess it shows the export procedures are tighter then the registration/selling procedures, I'm sure both the guy sellling to Sweeden and the guy buying in Sweeden were not in the know about its past.

6. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Simple. In NY no insurance = no plates WAY before 69

7. Rolf

Rolf

Those damn Swedes anyway...Can't trust them...:D :D :D

8. BELLM

BELLM

Normally when an insurance company pays for a stolen vehicle they transfer the title to the name & address of the insurance company so they will be notified if vehicle recovered. Normally they will sell back to the owner for what they paid out under the insurance policy.

Good story. Now maybe my 1970 SL 350 Honda MC stolen in Houston in 1974 will show up. No insurance.

9. Spook

Spook

Anybody remember the details of the Corvette that was found a few years ago, that had been stolen some 20 years earlier. The guy that had it originally was usinig it for a daily driver. He had no insurance on it that covered theft. When it was recovered it had got a high dollar restoration. The original owner got it back and the present owner was S.O.L.

10. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

That dosen't include theft....
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

I don't take shit; I don't give a shit. I'm not in the shit business.

11. 97

When I see you at Kumeu , I'll tell you about my 70 LS6 Chevelle, stolen in Auckland in 1980-81 , still in WestAuckland in the hands of the original thief and the cops have done sweet FA about it.

12. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

Sounds like cops are the same everywhere. Can't you legally go get it since it's yours?
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

Giggle Cream - it makes dessert *funny*!

13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The authorities sure work a lot faster down there than up here ...

14. Bugman

Bugman

A guy I know had his '58? Vette stolen about that time too, but alas, it was never recovered. I've got a copy of the title and vin number if anyone thinks they can help...

15. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

................58 billion dollars..........Homelend Security is finally working!:eek: (......oops, sorry, didn't mean to get political:p )

16. 97

Beleive me if that was possible I would have been and gone.

17. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

wasnt there a guy on here that found his buddies 68 GT350-500 stang on ebay and was trying to get it back...id love to hear an update on that!!!!

18. Tony

Tony

Thats the one i was talkin about..
    I had saved the ebay link, and it was ended within a day of the post on here stating the seller has ended auction early..
    Seems to me that something must have happened..
    I'd LOVE to know if it was returned, or what happened in general.

19. I know, those gals in ABBA said they'd call me but did they? NOOOOOOO!!! What a way to treat a guy after he buys breakfast at Denny's.:mad:

20. brewsir

brewsir

I'm thinking it would really suck to be the present owner who had just sold his vette for 50K or so and have the authorities come along and say.."sorry...it is a stolen car ...we're taking it!. but no charges will be filed against you." OUCH expensive mistake (wonder if the guy in Sweden gets fucked out of his purchase money or the guy in the US just loses the car and whatever the guy paid for it??)...especially if the car had a clean looking california title and the guy knew nothing about it ever being hot.

21. 55olds88

55olds88

I'm thinking in that part of town, you might be risking a night time trip in the trunk to Riverhead forrest to recover ???

22. if you want to smoke this car out you should post over at supercars site,if a ls6 exist without proper ownership they will eat that up!!

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

just put it in the copo section

23. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I remember when I was in college, a friend of mine's roomate got his stolen car back. It was some Honda stolen while he was in high school I think, and 4 years later the car was recovered. Some homie spent TONS of money on this thing, it had rims, a wing, custom paint, custom interior and a killer sound system. Unreal...so he got the car back as is, but it was TOO funny that somebody was not only daily driving the thing for 4 years, but sunk SO much money into it to make it a show car, but somehow couldnt afford to just buy one in the first place?

24. raffman

raffman

I'd like to know what was going on for the last 37 years. Was the car being driven?? It would really be cool if it was in that container all this time it would be like a time capsul.....very cool to get it back then.

25. It amazes me that the car was kept in one piece all this time. It would be even worse if somewhere along the line it had been stripped, someone had picked up the carcass, restored it from next to nothing, then find out years later it had been stolen and they're stuck for all the time and money spent on it. But the thing is because records that old aren't kept, especially from state to state, if you can get new paperwork on it then chances are you could be legally driving it every day and unless the VIN gets checked against records in the state it was stolen from (probably all hard copy on paper) no one ever finds out.

Then again it's also amazing that they kept the same VIN on the car all this time, up to about 67 the tags were usually stainless steel and not under the glass and really easy to swap.

26. Hellfish

Hellfish

I posted that. It was my girlfriend's ex-father-in-law's car. She hasn't heard any updates, but the auction was ended because the lawyers got involved and made him pull it. He loved that car and had a lot of proof, so things are in his favor, but that's all I know right now.

27. Hellfish

Hellfish

oh yeah, and I pulled the thread from the HAMB because some knuckleheads kept emailing the seller saying it was stolen potentially ruining the whole recovery effort. Sorry.

28. Repeat after me. If you buy a car with no

title....................................................

29. chopped

chopped

Story made todays paper. Cops call, you have a car stolen in 69? "yes" what color "blue" ,we found it. Think about the reply you could have made.

30. What if you have a title with no car? I found a title to a 52 Buick in a 52 Buick shop manual I have. The title is dated 1966 or so. Can I claim the car if someone has it?