Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest O/T, So who here was Army?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DocWatson, Dec 17, 2008.

1. teddyp

teddyp

66-68 spent most time in fort hood tex luck out only spent 91 days in nam have much respect for all who served more

2. AeroMonte

AeroMonte

1979 to 1983 1/14th infantry, 25th inf Div (Tropic Lightning). Basic at Ft Knox, AIT at Ft Benning, a little time at Ft Leonard Wood and then.........HAWAII for three years. Wouldn't trade that time for anything. The army made me the person that I am today and I would still kick my recruiters ass if we ever cross paths again. Was 11c heavy mortars but basically stayed in the motor pool because I could work on the 1st Sergeants motorcycle. Should have stayed for 20 but had an ex wife that had my head all screwed up.

3. 31E Saint Pattys day 1969 (talk about wearing the green) to Jan 5, 71. Basic at Sand Hill at Ft Benning, AIT at Gordon. Spent most my time in the DC area. Traveled a lot. Grew up a lot.

Thanks to everyone who served in any of the services!

4. SKULLZ

SKULLZ

5. Hot Bob

Hot Bob
    from Sanger, TX

1988-2008, 11B4VB4P5X, 6th ID(L), 101st ABN, 2nd ID, TRADOC, 3rd ID

Ft Richardson Alaska, Ft Campbell Kentucky, Camp Greaves Korea, Ft Benning Georgia, Egypt, Thailand, Panama, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Iraq

I was only going to do four years!

6. slowforty

slowforty

U.S. Army
    Europe
    Darmstadt Germany
    Apr.1967- Sept.1968 [40 Years ago SHIT]
    U S 54808802
    MAJOR SCREW-UP

7. 84-87 Sgt. Peacock at your service

Attached Files:

8. 1967 RVN

finished up as a OJT wheel vehicle mechanic

learned to paint doing trucks there took auto body on GI later

9. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

1966 -1968, Nam 1967 (combat medic) also flew some dust offs. I will never forget landing at Love Field (Dallas) in my class A's and facing the welcoming committee outside the terminal building. But, I was sure glad to be back in Texas, no matter what they called me.

10. HRV03

HRV03

Started out enlisted as a Cobra Mechanic in the Texas Nat Guard Air Cav in 98. Then moved on to active duty as a Combat Engineer in 1st Cav. Worked my way from bottom "working for a living" to "skating by" as an officer. I learned the hard way to stop talking shit about some of the higher ups in terms of how much work they do.

Did a rotation based in Balad. Got back this month last year, got out in April and started here at the Hot Rod Institute. Figured I should get on doing what I am passionate about. Hot Rods and bikes seemed like the way to go.

11. bob myers

bob myers

82nd ABN, 11B2p, airborne grunt 1970-72, involutary service, ie draftee

12. I was at Fort Hood Texas from late in 66 til I got out in Jul. 68 2nd Armored Div. Finance ( Chairborn Rangers !)

13. Me, 91 - 96 Royal Signals Radio Operator, had some great times & worked with the USMC and 82nd Airborne in 95. My old unit doesn't exist in name anymore but did become 16 Air Assault Brigade. We paved the way - 24 Airmobile Bde. Served in USA, Europe, Central America, Borneo, Bosnia. Did 5 years wish I'd stayed and done 15. Good times and great mates. Unfortunately they didn't all come back......

14. PoPo

PoPo

MP OIF II 2004, Now SSG in the reserves (Instructor Division) teaching troops how to be MPs.

Reenlisting this month also for 15K (6 more years) Ill do 20 and peace out probably. Im looking for that extra retirement $$ for hot rodding!

Thanks to those who served before me, I hope to uphold your ethics and values and serve you as you served others.

15. Vic

Vic
    from Florida

US52779278, 24 March '69 to 17 March '71.

16. Offy

Offy

Vietnam vets are like 32 roadsters, more now than there were originally.

17. 759th mp bn 68-70

18. [​IMG]
    159th aircraft brigade 101st airborne..

19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

medic 324th gen. hos. AR 66to71

20. Taff

Taff

wrong Doc, any fitter will tell you that you have to turn the turret clockwise 3 times before the turret falls off.....:D

21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, I see. I wasnt intlungunt....er...entelengent, er, smrt, um smart. Yeah thats it SMART enough to be a fitter!:D:rolleyes:

Doc

22. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

US Army ETS'd out in '76. Loved it/hated it. I think about it almost everyday and the guys and gals I met there. I always wonder what they're doing today. I tore the shit out of my back dragging a soldier that had drownd up a beach. Back then, nobody knew what a "disability" was, except the obvious, we just wanted out...no questions asked. Wish I had help the last thrity years but what the hell, I don't have shit to bitch about compared to the other guys I saw coming home from Nam.

23. Suave's Buick

Suave's Buick

1988-1992, 74D MP Cpl.
    Airborne, Air Assault, RIP, JOTC
    Operation Just Cause (Panama)
    Desert storm (the first one)

24. thralldad

thralldad
    from Central TX

I am currently mobilizing for Afghanistan. Texas Army National Guard CSM. Third combat tour. Wish me luck!

25. Joke away if you want, but I was Air Force in the 70s, did the IQ(?) test and scored highest in mechanical but one of the recruiters noticed I had 1 semester of typing in high school (I STILL regret putting that down!) so BAM! - I'm a desk jerky. When they "parted the waters" - selecting draftees to be GIs or jarheads, I opted instead for Air Force and spent 8 years '71-'79. Made it to TSgt (E6) and finally got into the Motor Pool as Supply Sergeant, the best job I had - PERIOD. It got me a civilian job as a Ford Parts guy/Manger for a few years after I got out of uniform.

But now I work for the Army as a civvie, have since '84, making for nearly 33 years with the military in one way or another. Picture shows the type equipment I manage these days and yeah I'm in there someplace.... A bit OT but still pipe, iron & wire. And still supporting our great troops in all ways possible.

Attached Files:

26. Dog427435

Dog427435

Draftee 2/71 - one of the last before the new VOLAR Army (Volunteer Army)
    Basic @ Fort Dix - AIT @ Fort Polk
    Then NCO school in Fort Benning, (one of the last classes due to the de-escalation of the war) further training at Benning then expecting orders for Viet Nam wound up in Expert Jungle Training at Fort Sherman in Panama.
    Never deployed to Nam spent time in Panama, Costa Rica and Nicaragua.
    11b40 tc /apc - was in Managua during prechristmas earthquake in '72.
    Hated being there at the time - there was so much going on with cars back home then - but looking back met a bunch of great guys and had a great time! It was definitely a different world in Central America in the early seventies!
    Still thanking God I never wound up in Nam, to all those who did you have my utmost honor and respect.

[​IMG]

27. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

Drafted in 1969, went to Nha Trang around Mar.1970. Have some pics of our SATCOM site at:
    http:WWW.nhatrangsatcom.com Was the first use of Satellite Communications in warfare I believe. All the high tech gps devices came from our antiquated system.

28. Bphotrod

Bphotrod
    from da U.P.

83E from 88-92 649th engineer battalion Schwetzingen Germany first half, then 4th group Psyops Ft. Bragg NC. Shoulda stayed in.

29. 1976 - 80 1st Cav Division, 1/77 Field Artillery.

I was stationed at Fort Hood for most of that time. There were some great scrap yards in central Texas in those days. Had an old-timer in Temple tell me once (after I inquired about a 49 F1 in his yard) "if you can get it outta there, you can have it. She's got a big rattlesnake nest underneath".

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  30. 201

Drafted in Feb 71 and did a two year bit in the 97th and 34th Engineers. Got three sets of orders for 'Nam, all cancled. Stayed stateside at Fort Riley and Fort Polk(yuck!). Got my Model A coupe off a guy I meet on guard duty on night in the motor pool area. He was from the next company up the street and our guard paths overlaped and we'de bullshit awhile when our paths crossed.Found out he was getting out in a week and had to get rid of the car and bought it for $150.00