Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T shipping with Greyhound?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TRAVEZ, Oct 9, 2006.

1. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

I have a bumper that I'm trying to ship. I checked with UPS and they want an arm and a leg to ship it. Someone said try Greyhound. I have never used Greyhound, is it cheaper? and is it easier? any help would be appreciated.

_T

2. Yes, I've done it several times, it is cheaper. The greyhound bus drops and picks up at an A/C shop here in my small town, plus they are in all major cities. Here's a link.
    http://www.shipgreyhound.com/

3. manicmechanic

manicmechanic

It should be the cheep way to go. I know we use Greyhound at work all the time. 50 - 300 mile shipments. I think once the merchandise arrives Greyhound will deliver it too.

4. ShortBus

ShortBus

38chevy454 sent me a 20 gallon tank for my 60 Olds on Greydog a few years back. I think it was about $40 from Livermore CA to Pasadena CA. He double boxed it just in case..
    Got it the next day if I remember right. No problems. I recommend it.

5. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

I shipped a tailgate that way...........had to be wrapped in cardboard, delivered to Grehound depot, and they took it to a Greyhound depot and called the buyer to come pick it up. Went smooth, took about 3 days, AZ to PA.

6. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

I had two caddy fenders shipped from Colorado to Austin on Greyhound...just wrapped in bubblewrap and cardboard...I remember about $50 a fender.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Check with DHL first, cut down a bicycle box to pack it in. I've used Greyhound when the box was too large for DHL. Shipped a 1925 Franklin one piece hood & grill from Connecticut to LA for around $56.00, Good deal. they only ship terminal to terminal so check to see how close it is for both parties. :)

8. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

cool, thanks for the reply's guys!! I have to go to Greyhound today and check it out.

_T

9. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

it was cheaper, easier and got there quickly....only problem i have is that the nearest drop off for me is 40 minutes away...

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Sometimes they are super slow. Be prepared for that.

11. Hasn't been for me...so far.

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I was shipped a piece of a floor pan for my '61 Catalina via Greyhound, and had no problems....although it's pretty tough to hurt a floorpan.

13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Sounds like I was the only one that had a slow transit problem.
    I shipped a radiator from Texas to ohio and it took me like two weeks.
    The price was great and worth the wait. i was just getting worried it was lost.

14. banjorear

banjorear

Call the closet depot to your house 1st to see if they except packages. I'm trying to track down a pakage for about 3 weeks. The depot listed on their web site does not except packages.

Now I need to track this part down.

Good luck. I like FedEx ground for they are fast & their tracking system is easy.

For the extra money, it's delivered to your door. It's a pain in the ass for me to pick it up, but it's the only way the seller would ship.

Thanks.

Tim

15. Easy as can be especially these days. Requirments: Longest dimension allowed is 82". Must fit into cargo hold of bus. Cannot weigh more than 100 lbs.

Minimal packaging required. I usually tape cardboard over sharp edges and corners, wrap in stretch-wrap and slap a couple labels on it. I've shipped fenders, trunks, bumpers and other oddball shape and size stuff around the US.

It's become something of a diversion for me. The challange of wrapping weird shit and the delight from the Greyhound folks as they try to guess what I've brought them this time gives me a medium sized release of feel good chemistry in my brain.

It's a cheap thrill and most Greyhound facilities are so old and in old parts of town that you can make a field trip out of it. Heck take a trip into the past! Try 1978. Maybe you'll see "Baretta" doing a stakeout in his wino disquise! No matter. You see a whole different bunch of folks when you take the bus.

Little or no police or security presense. No Homeland Security, High Tech overarching paranoia. No intrusive questions or paperwork.

Nope, I definately like the service and the food ain't bad either.

You'll love it! Go to Shipgreyhound.com

16. Burny

Burny

just wrap it up good...They are cheap and I've done it a few times with no problems...the person you're shipping to can pick it up at the local station...

17. Chad s

Chad s

Last time I had to ship a bumper from NC to MD, Fedex Ground was actually a few dollars less than greyhound, and I didnt have to pick it up from the terminal, but either way, both are a lot less than UPS.

18. I've shipped some weird stuff with greyhound, dash pad, bumpers, hoods, 30" x 40" printing galleys and film and never had a problem.

I'll let my stuff ride the bus, but I wouldn't ride in it myself.

19. OLLIN

OLLIN

Its really good for oversized bulky things. especially things that are just big and awkward, but not really that heavy. I shipped a huge pool table light fixture once to minnesota and it was real conveinient. it was a lot cheaper than UPS and FEDEx

20. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

NO DOUBT!! i just got back and they are going to charge more less than half of what UPS wanted! thanks guys!

_travis

21. Glad to have been of service.

22. lik2writ

lik2writ
    from NY

It's about as cheap and easy as you can get. Just double check to see if Greyhound uses an alternate Bus line between their depots. Makes verifying when it arrives easier. I got my roadster rear quarters, doors, trunk lid and rear sub-frame from Ohio to NY for $129. It arrived in 24 hours.