Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T, school of automotive machinists. anybody been.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FEDSLED, May 8, 2006.

1. FEDSLED

FEDSLED
    from lynnweed

I see these ads for a school in houston that teach every aspect on building race motors for all kinds of racing. It does not sound like your average tech school on rebuilding engines. I am just wondering if any of you guys ever been there or know of any one who has. duration,cost etc.
    Thanks
    FED

2. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I know a guy who went there. He came out in debt, and just as stupid as he was before he went. I considered it myself, along with UTI there in Houston. But my Service Manager at the dealership I worked at in Houston used to teach at UTI and said it would be a waste of time for someone like me, who was already knowledgeable in auto repair. I have a friend in Houston who went to UTI for a few months until he realized it was only book-type learning and not enough hands-on training.

I dunno maybe it's good for some people, but almost everyone I know who's gone to some sort of tech school has come back disappointed about their time there. From Wyotech and UTI, to SAM and MMI...I've heard nothing but negative feedback from friends who've been there.

3. FEDSLED

FEDSLED
    from lynnweed

Nobody?????

4. demonspeed

demonspeed

I havent been but Ive heard good things about it. The thing to consider is, do you really want to go into the engine building industry right now? I worked in a machine shop building race motors last year and trust me crate engines and places like jeg's/summit are pretty much putting most places like that out of business. Needless to say, our shop went under in december. but its you're decision.

5. tooslow54

tooslow54

I know the owners and one of the instructers. They are very nice people, unfortunately I don't know much about the program. Call and talk to Pat Topolinsky (the instructor). I can tell you that it's not just book learning as Pat races in the NMRA in a car they built. They also have plans on an NMCA (sorry, muscle cars) car as well. My point: they practice what they preach, on the drag strip. I've also seen them bring out about 20-30 students to the races (which to me is pretty damn cool).

Aaron

6. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

I graduated from UTI in 75'. I feel it was time well spent. Theory of operation will serve you well for the rest of your life, I long ago lost track of how many times I would fall back on that knowlege to solve the real difficult troubleshooting situations I have found myself in. Good luck with your decision.

7. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE NEIL CLAYTON FROM CLAYTONS PROFORMANCE whet to sam said it was kewl hes in engine masters mag. for the shoot out should still be on newstands. teck schools are all about what you make of them if you want to learn you will if you go in like you know it all don't bother this coming from a wyo teck grad and now an instucter.

8. ban

ban
    from cincinnati

I recently graduated from the school. Oldskewl is right tech schools are what you make of it. I learned alot from going. As far as engine building goes they teach you the correct way of doing things. Some of the students learn very little while they are there. Most of them just seem to be there to build one or two engines. The school is very expensive for what you will make right after you graduate, but all the schools are. You need to decide if thats what you want to do for a living. I would suggest going and looking at the school. Its smaller than you would think. You may want to look at what you are getting in to. If you have any questions let me know.

Brad

9. FEDSLED

FEDSLED
    from lynnweed

Thanks for all the replies, I was just curious mainly. I enjoy building engines and going drag racing so it sounds like fun to me. I never thought about the crate engine craze being hard on the industry though. It is something I would like to do, but taking a pay cut is kinda hard in the world we live in today. I always wanted to learn how to do the maching end of building them and the correct way to assemble them. thanks again.
    FED

10. temengines

temengines

[i am an engine builder a could give you som info. It depends on what type of building you want to do and what level your at now

11. Eryk

Eryk

Questions for those of you who went to trade/tech schools:

Did you go before you had a job in a related field or while you already had one? In other words, did you do the trade school thing in order to land a job after certification or just to further your knowledge in your current position?

From your experience, do shops usually hire based on certification obtained through schooling, past work experience, or both?

Do you have any ballpark cost figures for a school like UTI?

What can a person expect to be making, salary wise, after graduating from one of these schools?

Thanks in advance to anybody who takes time to answer these for me.

12. ban

ban
    from cincinnati

I think the certificate helps some but experience is most likely looked at first. Its not hard to find a job after graduating. Its really not hard to find a job in this industry at all. It is harder to find a good paying one. I dont think the certificate helped me get the job I have now. My employer has a low opinion of tech schools but i think thats changing. He has been asking my opinion on things.

I worked in an industrial machine and welding shop before I went to school. Mostly cnc but some manual machining. I have taken a slight pay cut from what i made doing that. I just wanted to get my foot in the door somewhere. After i get more experience I will expect more money. Eventully I would like my own buisness. I think the owners are the only ones who really make good money in small shops.

13. Eryk

Eryk

Thanks Brad. I'm just trying to test the waters of a career change. Any input helps.