Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T question: moderators, is there a preferred method of posting pics?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by repoguy, May 28, 2008.

1. repoguy

repoguy

I am a complete dumbass when it comes to computers, so help me out here.

I know that one can either upload pics from their pc where they show up in the little thumbnails, or post the link for the hosting service (like photobucket or whatever) and the photo shows up where he link (or whatever the hell you call it) is posted.

Does one way actually use less bandwidth and / or is less problematic for the site than the other? Or does it not matter either way?

Maybe this is a really dumb question, but I've wondered this for a while.

2. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Photobucket is from a different sever where as when you uplaod them here your on the
    HAMBs server... I could be wrong tho.. and i'm not a moderator... :D

3. repoguy

repoguy

So, it is possible that using photobucket saves bandwidth?

4. repoguy

repoguy

Anyone?

Bueller?

5. i'm not an expert , but it only stands to reason it does . there is a size limit on the pictures you upload to the hamb , i assume that's to save bandwidth.

i use photobucket and i find it easier to do once you get it figured out

[​IMG]

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't answer the bandwidth question but I'd say if you don't need to open a window to see it, well, maybe. I'm no great operator on a PC but I find the photobucket deal real easy and makes for a nice pic post.

7. The photobucket (I'm using Google Picasa2) pics are the way to go. Bigger pics and less bandwidth since they are just a link on your post.

Sorry to hijack the thread but......... 36-3window is that Curt John's old 3W? Looks like the pic was taken out in Rapid City. I wonder where it went to. You can see the progress on his new one here:

http://aarestor.com/Current_Project_3.html

8. yes, that is Kurt's "old" one..i understand it's in Texas now

i knew that someone out there was working with his current project , he emailed me some pictures

9. A suggestion is to make sure that the width of the pictures posted aren't large enough to cause the width of the page to extend. Keep width to less than 8 inches, and low dpi.

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

That is correct that using a photo hosting site saves bandwidth $$.
    When you use Photobucket you do not have to resize to upload. I especially like this feature as I like keeping my originals on my laptop high res for future printing.

There is an option on Photobucket where as you can choose the size your photos will be view at. Message board size is best for large photos with no scrolling involved.

11. repoguy

repoguy

Thanks you Miss Denise!!!!