Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T plasma cutter/CO question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al Von, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Al Von

Al Von

Does a plasma cutter generate carbon monoxide while you are using it? Today, I [as a paramedic] had a patient who was doing some repair inside of a heat treat furnace. The natural gas-fired furnace has been off for a month. He was not using cutting torches or gas-powered machinery, only a plasma cutter and hand tools.
    After 5 hours inside, he was dizzy, nauseated and has a headache. We tested him at the scene and found a level of 33 ppm of CO, a life threatening amount, which was confirmed at the E/R. He is now on his way to a bigger hospital for hyperbaric treatment! We sent the fire department to check it out and they found levels over 100 ppm in the furnace.

Thanks in advance!

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

dont know how big the confined space he was inside of was, but his own breath could easily create a ton of CO in the space of 5 hours. i'd have to say that yes, cutting metal creates some CO weather its a plasma torch, lazer torch or OA torch... but i would think that a water jet is gonna NOT make any :p

3. Fenders

Fenders

Duh?
    Cutting in an enclosed space?
    "... not using cutting torches or gas-powered machinery, only a plasma cutter... "
    Only?
    Scroll down to the first paragraph after "Summary" :
    http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/hhe/reports/pdfs/2003-0237-2986.pdf
    Sometimes common sense and adequate ventilation is necessary....

4. Al Von

Al Von

Thank you kindly for the prompt replies! I'll pass them on to my coworkers

5. BigChief

BigChief

Pilot light off? If not, its still making CO.

Did the furnace have its own flue or is it tied to a common stack? If its tied to another furnace you can get CO to drop in from other processes...especially if there is not heat in the furnace to generate flow in the flue.

Residues on the inside of the furnace walls, when burned with the plasma torch, will generate plenty of fumes and, yes, CO as it combusts. As the torch cuts the steel plenty of CO is generated.

This qualifies as an enclosed area and requires a direct fresh air supply to the persons head/face (ie Bullard hood, mask or other type of free-air system) not to mention proper permitting and training to do work in these conditions. As much as people bitch about regulation, this is why we have OSHA and the pain in the ass training/regs that go with it. This is, by the way, an OSHA reportable incident.

-Bigchief.

6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like the old days ----cutting OR welding galvanized steel!!---The fumes produce exactly the same symtoms. Drinking milk BEFORE starting the project was the only cure I ever encountered.--------Don

7. Al Von

Al Von

My patient was saying "...but I was wearin' a mask." Not supplied fresh air, just a particulate filter. I reckon' OSHA will probably pay them a visit...

8. It is very common for enclosed which spaces , even huge ones , which have been sealed off for long periods of time to have low oxygen content . Oxygen , as you know , is a very reactive gas so it can be consumed in common reactions such as rusting . All spaces of this nature should be well ventilated before entering much less working . In industries with large tank facilities no one is allowed to enter a tank with out a back up who remains OUTSIDE even if the inside man goes down . The backup cannot enter the tank unless he has a pressurized air supply .

9. toddc

toddc

When I did my trade, we were told that plasma cutting produces NO and NO2. Air is 80% Nitrogen after all.

10. madjack

madjack

I have a cnc plasma cutting table that I use in my fab business. A seperate control room with it's own fresh are supply are manditory. I've cut with the door to the control room open and I get headaches in just a few minutes....not to mention the plasma cutter literally vaporises the metal throwing it up into the air for you to breath. After cutting , notice the fine dust on everthing, Thats metal particulate