Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Pictures from O'hare Airport

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jet Doc, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Jet Doc

Jet Doc

Thought you guys would get a kick out of these pictures from a few weeks ago. The entire ramp area was flooded between the B and C concourse. Not much fun to wrench on airplanes in.

Attached Files:

2. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

Looks like they are finally getting caught up with the snow removal from last winter.

[​IMG]

3. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Hey Rob, have you ever surved on a wheel chock? You haven't lived until you've surfed on one... or used a plastic pallet cover (read giant plastic bag) as a parachute off the baggage loader!

Either way, that's a LOT of water!

4. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

No, but it sounds like fun. Maybe we could try some wakeboarding behind a 747 or something....

5. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Back in the pre 9-11 days,[1980's actually] I had a job working ground crew. After the shift, we would have one of the transporters drop us [about 6-10 guys/gals] at the end of the runway, and we would lay down in the grass just a couple feet off the end of the concrete behind the short fence, and watch the planes take off over us. There was a good 1000 feet between the end of the runway and the road, and it was not un-common for a fully loaded 747 to pass less than 200 feet over top of us. Sometimes the jet blast would be so strong you would think it was gonna lift you off the ground.

This was all done at 3:00 a.m., when there would be about 75-100 UPS planes departing. Airport security and management was aware of it, and let us know that they would not tollerate any monkey business, but as long as we were behaved, they looked the other way and let us have our fun.

A couple days a month, they would reverse the traffic pattern and have jets land from the south. It was kinda boaring because there would only be about 1 landing every 20-30 minutes at that hour, but it was MUCH more exciting watching a plane literally drop out of the sky and miss you by 100-150 feet, and then have the vortex vapor trails come down on you!

That was a loooong time ago. Lord knows they wont let you do stuff like that now!

6. i flew out of there a few times while in the army , i didnt have any trouble then but thanks for the pics...

7. My best friend said he had a friend who lived at the end on a runway. They used to drop copious amounts of acid and lay on the roof of the house and watch the planes fly over.

8. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Believe me, there's a HUGE difference in watching a loaded 747 going 150 feet over you, as opposed to 500 feet [minimum residential clearance].... A HUGE difference :eek:

And, yes... Sometimes chemical enhancement would be involved in our expirences as well. :D