Register now to get rid of these ads!

o/t moving furniture upstairs into new home... Morro Bay

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Roy, Jan 11, 2007.

1. T-Roy

T-Roy

My wife and I are moving to Morro Bay, CA in a couple weeks. Minor speed-bump I see is moving our heavy furniture upstairs. Having never lived in a 2 story house before, moving was a piece o cake. Anybody got any tips on moving refrigerators, china hutches etc. up a flight of stairs? Thanks guys.

-Troy

2. thekid54

thekid54

Appliance dollies come in handy when encountering stairs.

3. Bingo! They have those little climber belt thing-a-ma-jigs on them. :D

4. A few extra guys helps.

I helped a friend move out of his 3rd story apartment. I was amazed to see they were lowering all the heavy stuff.. fridge, big TV, dressers.. out over the balcony with mountain climbing ropes.

It was way faster than the stairs.:eek:

5. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Balconies come in handy...

Are the stairs in question carpeted? If so, drag-n-push! If not- appliance dolly rented from your local rental store- the one with the tank tred tracks on the backside is the key...

I have moved at least 10 people over the past few years...so I think I am qualified to answer, LOL... FOR ME: it's funny how NO ONE that you helped move is around when YOU need to move... :)

6. Bill.S

Bill.S
    from NW OH

A few friends and free beer and food is the best tip on moving.
    Works every time:)

7. T-Roy

T-Roy

Guys, thanks for the responses. I'll rent a U-haul and get an appliance dolly for sure. Haven't really entertained the thought of going over the balcony, mainly because I hadn't a clue about a safe way to go about it. I did see online where a guy built a track, using a handtruck with casters and involved a winch and 12v battery. Seems pretty extravagant, but I guess it worked out alright.

I just figured somebody that has actually moved appliances upstairs might have some extra tips. Thanks again guys.

-Troy

8. chopper103in

chopper103in

profesional movers

9. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Where are you moving to in Morro?I am in Los Osos and elcornus is in Morro. I can help ya out if needed. A bit of a food bribe and you should be good.. You can get the dollie at Oasis tool rental in Morro Bay (next to Miner's Ace). EVILT

10. T-Roy

T-Roy

That is a great idea, but not in my budget. Had thought about it though...

11. Soviet

Soviet

Profesional movers can add well over a grand to the bill. If you have a youth employment center around, you can get some bigger guys for fairly cheap to help ya out. Or if youve got some firends that wouldnt mind helping ya out for a case of beer, that always a win win. If you're not comfortable with dragging heavy shit upstairs, don't do it - someone is going to get injured.

12. racer756

racer756

Welcome to Morro Bay, between Los Osos and MB you'll really enjoy your(new) life.
    Remember..the birds shit on everything.

13. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

The birds aren't that bad... It's the tourists you have to worry about. It is fun to cruise down the embarcadero and annoy the touristy shoppers with your loud car. M.B. cops don't cut much slack...Where you gonna be workin? EVILT

14. T-Roy

T-Roy

We will be moving on Sat, Feb 3. If anyone would like to help out on Saturday, lunch will be provided.

I really appreciate the quick replies and all the help. :D

-Troy

15. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

You could hire Meat Head Movers (college students) just to unload your heavy stuff and take it upstairs. WWW.meatheadmovers.com They will do what they call onsite moving. They will put your stuff where you tell em. EVILT

16. T-Roy

T-Roy

I'll be working for JB Dewar Petroleum in San Luis as the oil dispatch supervisor. I've worked in petroleum delivery for the past 11 years. Just not with the awesome view and clean air.

-Troy

17. Movinman

Movinman

(Read the name)

Professional movers are always your best solution here. Besides the knowledge, they are also heavily insured. If something is damaged, the repair is covered. Most large name brand moving companies teach their employees through extensive training classes. This is part of what I do for a living. If you don't have the scratch to afford the moving company, I still may be able to help you. Send me a pm, and we will talk.

18. T-Roy

T-Roy

We may go the Meat Head Movers route, just to help unload. This is great, thanks a lot guys!

-Troy

19. slo60

slo60

im down to help too-- if you want an extra hand or two-- i may be able to round up one or two extras.... im at poly, in slo....

pm me and let me know what ends up happening

keith

20. We used "Starvin Students" when we moved last September... $500.00 all in, including insurance, ULTRA professional attitude, crappy truck, but we were very impressed.

2 guys, 1 truck, out of the old place & into the new one in 4 1/2 hours.

So, your going to work for Jack Dewar eh? Make sure you get to see his cars and little museum in town.

The Cam Twisters Car Club meet Thursday mornings for breakfast at IHOP down on Madonna still I believe.

21. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

that's how i got my sofa up to the 2nd floor. it was a bitch, it took 3 of us.

moving dolly is the way to go.

22. lewislynn

lewislynn

Anybody got any tips on moving refrigerators, china hutches etc. up a flight of stairs?

You can hire professional movers by the hour...it's well worth it

23. DIRTYDAG

DIRTYDAG
    from cleveland

damn i used to go there damn near every other weekend..I miss it! pismo too!

wrap a blanket around stuff and have someone below ya and dont try to pull it up by yourself! no matter how macho you is!

PIZZA and BEER usually gets help....keep it hidden until everything is where you want it....trust me...you break out the beer too early and your doin it yourself while the drunk fuckers laugh at you!

good luck and congrats! plus your closer to Paso now...cant ask for a nicer area to live!!!

24. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Here are the local digs... Pismo Beach at the OSH parking lot on Sat morning 7 am, Morro Bay at the doughnut shop on Sat morning 7am, Ihop Sat morning(for cam twisters club guys mainly all older gents), Los Osos at the coffee shop by the bay at 3pm. Car shows: Pismo beach classic, cayucous, morro bay, los osos Oktoberfest, Paso, and atascadero lake show. There are a few others too.. Once here, you can hit me up for more info. Dewer's collection is great. I have only seen pics but would love to see it in person. Sounds like you will have an in. Let him know you are a car guy... EVILT

25. Ahhh...Saturday's now eh?

And I'm NOT an older gent...hell, it'd be hard to call me a gent!!

I'm an honary member, I was the 'overseas member' till I moved to California! :cool:

26. T-Roy

T-Roy

You guys are great, man. While Ken gave me a tour of the facility in San Luis, I asked him who the car guy was, noticing the "Model A Drive" sign. That was my in to see that part or (museum - as they call it) of Jack's collection. Unbelievable man! Haven't met Jack yet, but kinda thought he may be a HAMBer. His black '41 Ford Coupe did it for me....as well as the couple o flatties sittin' all purdy like on display, and the multi carbs on the banger motors in his model T's & A's. Wow. :cool:

-Troy

27. T-Roy

T-Roy

Exactly the reason why I started the topic with "o/t". And besides moving to an area I'm not too familiar with I've already got some car guys to hang with after I get settled in.

Oh FNG, welcome to the HAMB. :rolleyes:

-Troy

28. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Cruzn- Welcome to the Central Coast. If i was home id help ya move. IM movin as soon as i get back to the states and im gonna need to get ahold of some of my boys to help me move my coupe, sedan, and Hemi! HA!

29. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

You sir are a jackass.. It has everything to do with cars. New buddies to wrench with and hang out with. The moving info is what is called an ice breaker(a way for people to find out A little about you). Don't bother asking for info about our area though. I don't want to wrench with you or hang out with you. EVILT

30. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Morro Bay I love to visit every year, you are a lucky dude.