Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T: Mopar Guys; what should I grab from '72 4dr Satellite?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad54, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Title pretty much says it all. It's been a long time since I've had to think about Mopar minutia.

I bought a '73 Duster earlier this summer, and will be yanking it apart in the next couple months.

I was at the junk yard today, and they set down a complete '72 4dr Satellite. V8/auto (I'll guess 318, but will run the vin just to be positive).
    A/C, power brakes, power steering, and rear seat speakers with a switch on the dash for them. AM radio.

8 1/4 rear.

I'll check and see if they're drum or discs up front.

Is there anything I can grab off this car that would be good to use on the Duster (front brakes? Booster, etc.) and is there anything I can take off the car to sell on ebay to fund the Duster?

Thanks,
    -Brad

2. ugh! thats a bad one. front discs and spindles if it has them. power steering pump, all engine pulleys and brackets. steering wheel. radiator/shroud. i use a big car radiator in my dart, you can make it fit. carpet set if its good. driveshaft, trans cross member.
    oh yea, this is a hot rod board:p

3. I don't think the discs and spindles will work, the Satellite is a B body. The calipers should work, but I think that's about it.

4. don-vee you got 318 posts. neat the spindles can be made to work, but i forget what you gotta do.

5. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

If it's the car I think it is... Grab the turn signal & marker lights on the tops and sides of the fenders, they work on lots of things, small and useful.

6. Squablow

Squablow

If it's a '71 be sure to get the marker lights off of the front fenders, a one year only part, 3 little squares in a row.

I would strip it pretty good, definitely the steering wheel and all the dash shit, seat belts are good sellers, esp. if they're black. Grille, tail lights, rear bumper, arm rests, hood hinges are all worth some money on eBay to restorers, Satellite shared most of that with the Charger and Road Runner from 71-74.

You won't have a problem selling any of that shit. Those cars are just popular enough that there are people looking for parts, but not quite popular enough for any reproductions to be made. Those are the kind of cars I like to buy complete and part out, good money maker.

7. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

For a short period of time, I owned a '72 Road Runner body in Floriduh. (It ended tragically for the car). That's when I found out that while both B-Bodies, and both the same platform, all the front sheetmetal was different from a 4dr.

in '72 they went to the corporate "after-thought" marker lights--simple rectangles just stuck to the front and rear fenders. Mine are cracked, so they're coming. The steering wheel is junk. I think the dash is different between Road Runner and Satellite too.

-Brad

8. plmczy

plmczy

Steering column, gas tank, any of the pollution crap on them. Front windshield,window cranks,trans,torsion bars, trunk lid hinges,outer door handles,plastic a piller posts, misc trim screws

9. slammed

slammed

Floor pan's, core support.

10. GoManGo1951

GoManGo1951

What color is it? Just asking cause it sounds like my first car.

11. i think you know the answer. i guarantee it is green

12. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

HA!!!! Yes, it IS green. With a tan interior. I was surprised about the interior color. Usually they're green too.

-Brad

13. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Buckskin tan and usually after mucho sun exposure turned into greeeeen. Gotta love the Chrysler quality control!

14. Zeke

Zeke

Off topic you fucking morons

15. RichG

RichG

thank goodness I didn't post on this thread...oh, dang.:(

16. Did the '72 have a front bumper shaped like a safety goggle? I have to admit, I want one(two door of course). Now, back to our regularly scheduled bashing.

17. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

That's MISTER Fucking Moron, you dork.

I had a question. I'm not on any Mopar forums. I know a lot of guys here have Mopars. I came here to ask my friends' advice. It's not often you find a clean '72 Anything in the junkyards. It helps us ALL to grab whatever can be salvaged from them, since, you know, they're not making them anymore.

When Ryan busts my balls for asking about grabbing parts off a junkyard car, I'll pay attention. Now go count the rolls in your cuffs and let the grownups finish their discussion.

-Brad

18. Zeke

Zeke

I actually like dusters. My wife's granny used to street race one.... but last time I checked...and got bashed for by Ryan "fucking with the Tradtional noobs" it's traditional hot rod board. 73' well that don't quite make the cutoff. So go fuck yerself.

19. Zeke

Zeke

Thing is you New "pussys" think that it's Ryan that makes this board... that's not the case it the members and our input. Ryan knows this and he knows as well as I (member since 1998) that we as members are the HAMB's soul. And those of us that actually have stuck around understand this. I would never ask what I need to score off one mid 70's Mopar to get another running on here. Not because the knowledge base couldn't answer but quite simply because the question does not belong here. As for Cuffs and pomade I'll leave that to all you posers. I may never be a "hot rodder" but at least I understand what this board is about.

I suppose the thing that kills me most of all is that we have fucks like you and guys posting picts of pro street twin turbo falcons and I reallized most of the membership just doesn't care anymore.

20. Zeke

Zeke

At least you got that right.

21. Zeke

Zeke

Where is Mud when you need him.

22. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

If you want a 318, I had a 73 that ran 275,000 miles before the rear leafs broke. Damn good motor.

23. Zeke

Zeke

And just to make you feel better I reported myself to the HAMB McCarthies.

24. flamingdeath

flamingdeath

The '72 Road Runner had that 'goggle' grille.
    The '72 sedan had a kind of innocuous grille with a flat, flush center section which angled back toward the quad headlights.
    See this http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_20399-Plymouth-Satellite-1974.html
    gotta love imcdb. Dirty Harry's car is a '74, but the grille is the same, with a smaller bumper.
    My parts-interchange book seems to indicate that all suspension gear is specific to larger B-bodies (coronet/charger etc). It also says disc brakes (if they're there) are not interchangeable to a smaller A-body (duster). If it does have them, you could certainly sell them on Craigslist or ebay to a b-body guy.
    This is a less-desirable year/style, but clean bumpers and grilles, trim, and interior parts are going to be hard to find and always worth a few bucks to someone out there. Plus, the leaf springs may be heavy-duty (it's a station wagon). Also, last time I had to get drums for my Coronet, they cost a bundle, so if these are in decent shape, they're probably worth scavenging too.

25. 41 C28

41 C28

I had a 70 Cornent for a donor car, I sold the old ratty torn up bench seat,am radio and battery tray just to name a few of the part. Don't throw away the shift linkage and throttle kick down linkage like I did. I also used some of the original wiring harness.

26. George

George

Hood release cable.

27. Scott

Scott

The steering box is desirable for the cowl steering that many use here. Also check the rear end, it may have a "centered" pumpkin which is desirable on an open roadster,T bucket etc.

28. Zeke why dont you read your own avatar?

29. Even if the car itself was crusher food when it was new (think Vega), there is probably some part on it (think Vega steering box or the bucket seats that are the same as Camaro) that will solve some hot rodder's problem. I am a cheap low-buck rodder by necessity. I am on first name basis with the guys at our local pull-your-own parts place, and I live by the adage that there is a relatively cheap junkyard solution to most of the problems I need to solve. My '38 Ford pickup has the rear end hung with leaf springs and spring hangers from an Isuzu pickup, a heater control valve from a Honda, clutch master and slave cylinders from a Mazda/Ford Courier pickup, master cylinder and front rotors/calipers from a '76 Buick Regal, windshield wiper motor is the rear wiper motor from a Mitsubishi hatchback, hood latch and cable is from an '85 Chrysler LeBaron. My thinking is that, no matter what problem I am trying to solve, with all of the makes and models out there over so many years, there had to be some engineer with far more resources at his disposal than I have come up with something to solve essentially the same problem, and his solution may well work on what I'm working on. I can look at the problem and see what it would take to solve it. The engineer at Ford, GM, Chrysler, Yugo, etc. can look at the problem, get a mental picture of what it would take to do the job, design the component, and say "here's the part y'all need to make." I just complete the cycle by going to the junkyard a few years later and spotting that component that matches my mental picture of what it would take to solve a problem on my street rod. My experience with '72 Plymouth Satellites is limited to the 318 engine and automatic. These are rugged engines and transmissions. I was personally acquainted with a 318 and automatic in a '72 Duster that belonged to a friend who was a fanatic about maintenance--that car went well over 300,000 miles, never had the heads or pan off, never had anything done to the trans other than changing out the fluid.

30. 6deucecaddy

6deucecaddy

Shit not another unofficial HAMB police!!!! Read the title it say O/T (off topic). If you dont wan't to read about it don't click on it. Fuck, who gives a shit!!