Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Miller migs cheap at Graingers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by painkiller, Jun 9, 2011.

1. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Dam it Bevis...settle down!

2. Eight433

Eight433

Just got the email . after all the stories, I was impressed to get an email saying it was a pricing error and offered me thirty percent off the same welder. Not sure if I'm going to jump an it or not...

3. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

If everyone who had an order gets a discount, I guess that's pretty fair....Grainger doesn't do favors for anybody.

4. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I got the same thing. After running the numbers the discount will still cost me about 60.00 more than one off of ebay. Oh well, I will keep looking....

5. I actually received a phone call! She said Miller told her they'd be back ordered for 18 months trying to fill the thousands of orders they received at that price! She admitted it was a mistake and offerent the 30% deal. I told her I had to think about it. Hell I decided to buy posi for my late model truck instead. I'll use that a lot more in the near future!

6. Eight433

Eight433

I'm still thinking about it. I'd much rather buy from granger than eBay. If they would ship it to the store at no cost, I think I would pull the trigger...

7. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

See if they will go for that and let me know. I agree I would rather buy from them but any chance I have to save I try to.

8. Eight433

Eight433

Just reporting back... I called the number provided in the email and spoke with a woman who was very helpful and physically went through the box to confirm exactly what would arrive at my doorstep, which is welder, regulator, cart, etc. I asked if there was anything she could do to help offset the additional cost a bit more and she offered free shipping immediately, almost as though it was a given. I took the bait and should have my new miller auto set 180 amp here by the middle of next week st a cost of 826 plus tax. I feel like that's still a decent deal. I've been watching craigslist for months and never came across anything I thought was a better deal. Oh yea, and I'm paid as an independent contractor, so I can claim it on my taxes :D

9. I got the same call and same offer of 30% off.

I was at Tractor Supply yesturday and saw thay have a Hobart 180 for $100 off until the 24th or 28th of this month. They were going for $550-$560ish. I think I'll grab one of those and call it good.

10. Eight433

Eight433

Yea I'm replacing a tractor supply sold clarke 125 or something with this one. At 560 out so, by the time you buy a cart and regulator if needed, you're almost back in the ballpark of the miller. When I get it, I'll report back again with my final thoughts after I set it up and weld with it.

11. A Rodder

A Rodder

I just bought one at airgas with a radner cart and a spool of wire at $910 total. It was ten % over cost. I bought stricktly on the fact my hobart beta mig 250 went out and monday morning I need to weld. I researched this thread after the fact and thought I got hosed. Obviously it was to good to be true. I will report back what I think. One thing that is nice is it comes ready to weld other than the bottle.

12. 24riverview

24riverview

Here's a little update- I knew my son in law was looking for a welder so I sent him a link to the Grainger page the evening of the 9th. He ordered it (the 110 volt) that evening on line and set it up as "will call" which I think means that they would call when it came in at his local store (Waukegan IL I believe). He even stopped at the store to check on it and was told that they were completely overwhelmed with orders and could not guarantee he would get it or that it might take a few months.
    Got it today, $358.96 total.
    My son in law sent me this clarification to the story-
    Just to clarify what they told me at Grainger. When I went in they told me my order was "rejected" by the manufacturer. I think it was Miller that was overwhelmed with orders (not Grainger). If I had not gone in to ask about it, I never would have known the order was rejected and I never would have gotten the welder. The girl at Grainger had to push the order through some how and request that the manufacturer fulfill it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  13. Eight433

Eight433

[​IMG]

Going to be a while before I get a chance to play with it though... :(

14. I ended up getting an AutoArc by Hobart. It came with a fixed regulator, cart, and cheap helmet. It is only a 130 amp, but it will meet my needs for now. Hell if I need a larger one later, it will still be nice to have this small one.

Free two day shipping was nice as well!

I haven't had the time yet to use the flux core wire it came with. I have ordered the adapter to run the larger wire spool.

It has an important label on the front... although the pic isn't the greatest.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      86.1 KB
      Views:
  15. ZFORCE

ZFORCE
    from Tucson

Link doesn't work, is the sale over?

16. moefuzz

moefuzz

17. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Read back a few pages and you will figure it out.

18. A Rodder

A Rodder

With 85 15 mix gas and .030 wire, it is pure sugar. With .035 and full argon, it is the biggest piece of shit and not worth the cardboard it was wrapped in.