Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Good places to live in Austin?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TRAVEZ, Aug 11, 2006.

1. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

hey guys, i know there are a lot of HAMB'ers that live there. The wife and I are considering to relocating to Austin. I'm in the process of putting out my resume to different places. I was wondering if someone could tell me about good areas to live, average costs of houses. Any help would be appreciated!

_travis

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

3. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

do a search on this. oddly enough, there have been several posts on this very subject, worded almost exactly the same.:D

4. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

cool guys i'll do a search! thanks

5. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

All of the above, and...

Make sure you wait until you get a job before you decide where to live...

It will dictate where you want to look.

6. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20 years ago, Austin was a beautiful place to be. It is a victim of its own success these days. Too much population for the infrastructure. Austin is cool and all, but much more crowded and hectic than Las Cruses. If just being in the vicinity is close enough, consider places like Georgetown and New Braunsfels. Make sure "city life" is really what you want. Good luck.

ps, Houston sucks

7. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

we visited austin last year...cool place. we have friends there. i think i'll have to find a design job in the city but probably live in the outskirts. my wife is a teacher and she wants to try her hand at teaching in tx. new mexico education is for the birds!

_travis

8. I live in Round Rock which is a suburb of Austin. Great shcools, affordable homes, and I only drive 12 miles to work. Trust me when I say this, Austin is what you make it. If you come here with no expectations, you will never want to leave. Is there traffic? Yea, there is. Are there a lot of people here? I guess so from what I hear. Is it a "victim"? No, I dont think so. New highways and development are expanding daily.
    That reminds me, I will be in Las Cruces in 3 weeks....best of luck

9. hayduke

hayduke

I've been here since '68, yeah we out grew too many things, but I haven't found too many other places I'd rather be...yet. Like Kustom55 said, it's what you make it. I live 2 miles from work, have for 8 years, I live in S. Austin, I have everything I need in 3-5 miles from home. In my opinion the suburbs are like anytown USA, but you'd be closer to the best I guess ;)

10. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

If you have a family and want to minimize the inner city influences, think about Georgetown. Ten minutes out of North Austin with good schools, shopping and housing. Law is a little strict, but not too bad.

Leander, Cedar Park are cool, but have out grown their freeways.

I live in Hutto. It's nice, but jumped from 1200 to 12000 in a short time and going through growing pains.

Pflugerville is a bit rough around the edges, but good schools.

South Austin is really what makes Austin great, but it's a world away from the tech sector. That may be what you're after.

Lake Travis and Lakeway are awesome if you can afford it.

Come visit for a few days and hit up some locals to show you around!

11. AaronP

AaronP
    from Hooker, OK

A good friends dad lives in Georgetown and it seems like a great place. Let me know whats going on with ya. You know you will miss the mexican food after you leave LC. I do.

12. You must have never seen the thousands of mexican restaurants here in Texas then.....I can think of 10 off the top of my head here in Austin that cannot be beat

13. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

cool thanks again for all the leads guys! aaron i'll let you know. the hardest part is trying to find a job out there. i will miss the mexican food, but they do have some killer places in austin. scotty thanks for the invite! i might have to hit you up on that. well if we do end up there i know that there are a lot of car things happening, way more than here!

_travis

14. AaronP

AaronP
    from Hooker, OK

It's not the same man. While you are in Cruces go to Nelle's, Chope's, La Posta, or Dick's Cafe and have one of there combo plates. Also go to Princess tacos on North Main and have a taco plate. The best ever.

15. tragic59

tragic59

`
    I'm sure you're right. They're not the same. But I'm also sure that the Tex-Mex is better. Of course, I'm kidding... Sort of.

But you have to see the irony in telling someone not to move to Texas because they'll miss the Mexican food.

In Texas, he'll eat Mexican food that's top-notch, and have access to BBQ that New Mexico, and almost anywhere else in the world, (with the possible exceptions of Kansas City and Tennessee) can't touch.

16. boozoo

boozoo

Y'all are giving me the willies.... this exact subject has been on my mind all suimmer. My 10 year banishment is over... I'm comin' home! ;)

17. Primer Gray

Primer Gray

I hear ya...I hope to be getting the hell out of Tally in a year and a half, my texile (as opposed to exile) should be over...Austin is still the only place I've been that doesn't feel like somewhere else.

Now to find a job...in a year and a half...

18. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I love Las Cruces. My buddy and I broke down there about 10 years ago on our way to San Diego. We were given rides by random people, extended invitations to stay in peoples homes while we got our car fixed, and the guy that shapes hats at the western wear store even steamed my hat straight for free. I always stop and have a meal in L.C. when I'm passing through.
    I think you'll like Austin. I know I do.

19. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

Beautiful Buda!! Just south of Austin and easy drive to San Antonio.
    Austin has a BIG high-tech sector with AMD, Tokyo Electron and Sematech located there. :D Nice place!!

Dave

20. skullcracker

skullcracker
    from Austin

Check with Collette, Fat Lucky's lovely significant other and one of the best realtors in Austin.
    dp