Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Going in for Surgery next week - Health Warning!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kinky6, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Kinky6

Kinky6

Yeah this started as a heat rash about six inches off to one side of my belt buckle; I was at an outdoor car show during 4th of July weekend up in North Carolina. After a few days, I went from a skin rash to a small open wound.

Over the past 5 years it has slowly gotten worse while none of the various therapies has worked. I had to push my doc to get me in at the medical university up in B'ham, UAB, but he made it happen.

Mojo, keep after the docs to figure out what is "normal" for you!

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

2. Weasel

Weasel

Even if it is O/T this is crucially important. Even though you may think you are not diabetic, get your bloodwork done and have an A1C. All the hot rods in the world don't matter a damn if you are too ill to work on them, lose limbs, eyesight or are just plain dead.

It has reached epidemic proportions in the U.S and Mexico and juvenile diabetes is the fastest growing segment of all. It's all the junk food the fast food chains and food and soft drink manufacturers are throwing at you and your families. In my opinion they are no better than the tobacco companies, knowingly selling this life endangering shit for profit, which is masquerading as food. It's slow poison.

I was diagnosed with Type II last month even though I am only 10 lbs overweight for my height, exercise regularly and thought I ate healthily - until I went to nutrition classes. I lost the 10lbs in a month and continue to lose weight. Now I read food labels and eat a healthy diet. I figure the most valuable thing anyone has is their life, so you owe it to yourself and your loved ones to get checked.

3. pappatyrone

pappatyrone

Best of luck. Hope you recover and live a long productive life. I just got out of the hospital for open heart surgery. Hospitals are no fun, but sometimes necessary

4. Mojo

Mojo

That's very interesting to hear. See, even though i'm diabetic, I heal very quickly (except the stomach ulcer), faster than most everyone i've known. I don't seem to fit most of the diabetic symptoms.

I'm not wanting to give a medical rundown, but i'm posting this in hope that maybe someone here has experienced something like this. I have a cycle of about 1-3 months of high sugar and feeling great, and then a cycle of 2-6 months of low sugar, and exhaustion.

Back in march, I was in my feeling good stage. I went to the Dr, and he sent me to have blood test. My fasting sugar was 429. I took meds for a while, felt really great, then got sick on them. I stopped, and my blood sugar never went above 300. By July, it never went above 250. Now, i'm in my exhausted stage, and it's usually 160-180 in the morning, 120-140 at dinner. The other day it was 104 and I was ready to pass out.

Yesterday, I ate 1/3 a quart of chocolate ice cream, and 3hrs later tested my blood before dinner... it was at 115.

Doc has no idea what is going on. Never seen anything like it. I personally think my diabetes is a result of something else going on. Anyone have any diagnostic info on anything like that? I'd like to get it tuned up and back to max performance, but i'm not sure of my specs!

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

good luck on the surgery, just went to see a friend in the hospital, 52 years old and they just removed his colon, had 29 days straight of chemo,then two weeks of radiation, and he's just now "cooled" off enough for the surgery which was Saturday, I didn't even recognize him. I told him when he can eat again I'm taking him for a cheeseburger, the hospital food is killing him, he's lost 30 pounds. actually he wants a stripper and a burger. :D

6. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Best of luck to ya', Brother John.

7. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Good luck...not haveing insurance is why I don't get checked out...My coffie table won't hold any more doctors mean letters about payment.

8. CARCUTTER

CARCUTTER
    from MASS

Good luck, hope it all goes well.

9. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

From up here that's a poor excuse. Unless where you are is alot differant from NY you have every right to be treated for anything even without insurance. Most hospitals have and use programs for people that are sick and just can't pay all the medical bills.

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

they don't have those here, my wife is being "sued" for three dollars,yes three dollars, she didn't know she owed to the local hospital. and people wonder why medical bills are out of control? I need to go to the doctor, but I "make too much" being on unemployment. :mad: they also have an exception for the "poor illegals here" if you are latino and are here illegally you can have your bill forgiven, I kid you not

11. thendrix

thendrix

I have been dealing with this disease for the past 17 years and have heard of some pretty nasty shit. I agree with kinky, If you don't know what your A1C is, please get checked. I know of one man that died a few years ago after they had to take both of his feet because his diabetes was out of control.

Don't think that it can't happen to you either. I was diagnosed at 10 years old with juvenile (type 1) diabetes. My older brother wasn't diagnosed until he was 23.

Thoughts and prayers are with you kinky.

12. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you need to make an appointment pronto with an oncologist and have your pancreas looked at, it sounds like it's producing too much insulin, not trying to scare you, but that could be a tumor on it causing it to work too much. Good Luck!! Pancreatic cancer is serious stuff and it's a very common cancer

13. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

HEY JOHN... we never met- but good luck and best wishes on your surgery. your brother of car lovers.... POP

14. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

Thanks for sharing John, best wishes. I'm a person living with type 1 diabetes for the past 22 years. Some days are better than others but regular testing and control are the keys to living well with this condition whether you're type 1 or 2.

15. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Got my good wishes for quick as possible recovery, K6. Diabetes is nothing to play around with. Grandparents had it, my dad has it. As I get older I've noticed I've been watching myself more too, so all you borderliners, watch yourselves.

16. Once again, the HAMB "brotherhood" inspires me to quick screwing around and get with the program.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes two years ago. I felt fine at the time...was loosing weight without even trying. My wife also pointed out that I couldn't make it an hour without hitting the restroom day or night. I was always thirsty and my eyesight seemed to be getting worse. I figured it was just old age. Thank God my wife is smarter (and way better looking) than me. When I finally made it to the doctor (the Mrs. MADE me go) I was diagnosed with Type 2. The first blood reading I took with the nurse was 496...she just about crapped..."are you okay? maybe you should sit down"

I walked out of the office with the best of intentions to attack this bastard..."I'm gonna drop some weight, I'm gonna eat right, I'm gonna turn this around" etc. I took my meds and starting walking in the mornings and even went to nutrition classes. I basically found out that if it tastes good,I should spit it out and have something else. It took a while to get used to the finger pricks and all the pills (I take so many that my ass rattles) and eventually got put on injections as well. It all got pretty discouraging and like most people I fell off the wagon. I stopped the exercise, ate whatever I wanted (smaller portions...that makes it okay, right? Wrong.) and quit checking my blood as well. I'd given up. This is too hard and it's a great big pain in the ass...I'm done.

Two days ago while cruising the HAMB I hit this thread and I started reading. Man, it was like a getting hit with a wrench on the back of the head. "What the hell are you doing?...this is serious you dumbass!" "I've got a family...I have a 5 year old son...we've got a lot of stuff left to do together and I can't do it from a wheel chair or a hospital bed". Well, I'm back with the program. I got up the next day at 5:15 am and walked 2.5 miles...did the same today and have every intention of doing it every day. I've been checking my blood sugars 6 to 8 times a day. I'm brown bagging it to work. Vegetables, water and fruit are my "Manny, Moe and Jack". I've got tests scheduled for next week with my doctor again. My blood readings are running 130 to 170...still needs to go lower and I'm going to get there.

All I can say...thanks.

17. Kerry67

Kerry67

Like I said, I have diabetes. But what is the point in checking your blood 6-8 times a day? If it says you are high, what do you do ? If it is low I understand, eat something to bring it up. But when you sugar runs steady, why keep checking ? I admit, I don't eat the way I should or get as much exercise as much as I should, I am just realistic and don't go crazy with what I eat.

18. Winterbear

Winterbear

the point of testing multiple times a day depends on perspective and the type of diabetes you have. I am type1, diagnosed almost 3 years ago when I was 30, I went from 180lbs to 230 when I took a desk job then dropped to 140lbs peeing every 1/2 hour always tired and hungry ect ect lost all muscle mass I am just now getting back to a comfortable level but not anywhere near where I was, can barely feel my feet all the "good" stuff previous posts have pointed out. As a type 1 I test so I can dose accordingly to my blood sugar levels, the pump is not neccisarily a option for me yet as my pancreas is still producing insulin just not consistantly and usually at reduced levels. testing as a type 2 (my dad and uncle are type 2) gives you the knowledge of how you are reacting to food and medications, if you don't test and assume you are OK problems are in your future.
    anyway hope you all take this seriously if you have any diabetic symptoms, trust me the human pin cusion thing for the rest of my life is not appealing. 5 or 6 tests a day and 3-5 injections.
    Chris

19. "Testing as a type 2 (my dad and uncle are type 2) gives you the knowledge of how you are reacting to food and medications, if you don't test and assume you are OK problems are in your future".

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I am still trying to get this "under control" with medication, the correct foods (I'm not saying diet anymore)and exercise. I am still seeing how my system reacts to certain things. Oddly enough, alcohol consumption lowers my blood sugar readings. No matter how much I try I still can't get my doctor to write me presciptions for a 12 pack. :rolleyes:

20. duesenberg1932

duesenberg1932
    from PA

I've been living with type 1 diabetes since age 6. Diabetes is scary shit, but only if you don't take care you yourself. My grandfather was also a type 1 diabetic recently passed away from complications. I'm not the greatest diabetic in the world, but what happened to him was a real eye opener. It's not easy, but neither is life and i wont let diabetes stop me from living my life to the fullest. Best of luck Jon.
    Derrik

21. Kerry67

Kerry67

I have been checked by the doctor several times since I found out I have diabetes and everything is fine. The only complaint I have is that I am ALWAYS tired. There is never a time of day that I do not want to go to sleep. It has started to affect my life but when I mention it to the doctor, they just check my blood, tell me I am fine and that they'll see me in 6 months. They NEVER address the problem or try to figure out what is wrong. They just tell me everything looks good and that is it.

22. Mojo

Mojo

I think you're right. From everything i've read on the internet, it points to that. General blood test didn't show any signs of cancer. And for as high as my sugar goes sometimes, my organs are actually fine. Just a little over spec, and that was when I was in the 400's. I've been dealing with this for 20yrs now, you'd think i'd have some organ damage. I only went and saw the doc because as i've gotten older, I don't have the energy I used to. I suspect the organs aren't recovering from the effects of high sugar as quickly as they once did.

23. Kerry.Being that tired is a classic sign, jump in that 56 and find a hospital that has a dibetic training center or call the american dibetes association 800-232-3472, sounds like your doc has his head up his ass. If you still have trouble finding someone that knows what to look at call me I will help find you someone...........

24. Kerry67

Kerry67

Yeah, I gotta do something. I thought it was just because I have a desk job and am stuck in a cubicle nowdays. I am sure that is part of it. I even make plans during the day to do some stuff in the garage and when I get home, if my wife is at work (she has a differant schedule all the time), I usually just sleep on the couch from the time I get home until about 7pm, get up make something to eat, then go to bed, turn the TV on and go back to sleep.

If it is a classic sign, why whenever I go to the doctor and they check my blood, everything comes up perfect ?

25. Mojo

Mojo

I'd ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. It's the same thing for me. Doc told me to lower my sugar, but when I do I go hypoglycemic even though the numbers are close to normal. I have an appointment in two weeks, i'm hoping it will provide some answers. I think docs are like anyone else, they don't to do any more than they have to, because they're overwhelmed.

26. Kerry67

Kerry67

My doctor is usually in the room with me less than 3 minutes everytime I go see him. I get better attention from the Physicians Assistant.

27. 1st have they given you your A1C results??? should be below 6.5 but even then thats not the only thing to look at,hell for about a year or more before they caught it with me I was sittin behind a desk and felt the same waymI never wanted to go work on my cars or even go out on the harley,I would get up at 7 and want to take a nap by 10.And was puttin on weight like you wouldnt believe.Kerry look around and talk to someone in the medical field that KNOWS what to look for.......

28. Kerry67

Kerry67

Never heard of an A1C. If they have checked that, I have never heard about it. As far as weight, I have gained about 10 pounds that I would like to lose. I am 6 feet tall and about 190 lbs. My problem is I am always exhausted.......My wife thinks it is because I am not in the gym at every moment other than while I am at work or sleeping, and I admit, I should go way more often, but I literally am to tired to go exercise. I never bring it up to her because all it does is cause a huge fight, so I just pretty much keep how I feel to myself.

29. koolkat

koolkat
    from Merced CA

This is so important to everybody, it's needs a big bump to the top to inform everybody. I've got it too, and if you are over 50 and overweight, you are a prime target!

30. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Congratulations to you and best wishes for a good outome with your surgery!
    This thread, my friend, is a fine example of a good Christian act to help not just friends but folks you don't even know. I applaud you all who have come forward to bang the drum concerning this deadly health threat.
    You, dear friends, have just saved somebody's life or several lives!