Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T FREE 42 ft. 1956 Chris Craft in Los Angeles...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MichaelDorman, Oct 30, 2006.

1. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

2. rustrustler

rustrustler

So-----------Whats the chances of a relay to North Dakota? Nevermind I forgot we don't have that much big water.

3. The two happiest days of a boat owner?
    The day he buys it and they day he sells it.
    Especially a wooden boat.

4. i had a wooden boat about 15 years ago . i kinda miss it...but glad it's gone

you spend more time working on it than you do using it

5. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Last time I saw a CC that old, It had a dozen holes just above the water line. It floated alright, for about 2 days. :)

Wooden boats are hell to restore.

6. But, damn, are they beautiful. We passed by a place when we were in Lake Tahoe a couple years back, man did they have some nice boats. Good thing I'm broke!;)

Jay

7. Holy shit, that is a bottomless pit. My father in law lives on an old wooden boat, originally built in the '20's or '30's, it is an believable money pit. Never ending maintanence, fucking costs make building a car look cheap. They're probably giving that thing away because they've run out of money trying to keep it floating.
    Having said all that, fuckin a, are they cool.

8. T-Bone

T-Bone

I wonder what the gauge panel looks like

9. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

That thing is bitchen--but you guys are right: building a car is cheaper and you'll actually use it.
    Plus, I think my driveway's only like 34 feet.

Hey, not to hijack your thread, but if you want to look at weird old boats, you guys should cruise out to the Salton Sea. It's nuts out there.

10. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Wood-hulled cruisers are for the punctilious maintenance fanatic - Most of the old C-C boats need some serious work if the owner(s) didn't haul it out every couple of years and tend to the bottom.

ex F-I-L had a 55' Chris with twin center-oilers in it, and my father's day present to him was crawling around under it in dry dock, scraping barnacles, changing the zincs, and resealing where necessary...every two years...and kept doing it even after the divorce...ya never know just how his will might read someday..LOL

dj

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wooden boats are cool, and this one is very cool!
    I had a home built speed boat that I half restored, . Beautiful workmanship in the original build from the mid 50s, with graceful lines and two cockpit areas. Had the hull all done it just needed a motor and fit out.
    Left to join the Army so my parents let me put it out their back of the garage until I had somewhere to put it (I was renting a place).
    Came home for my first leave after recruit training (Boot camp) and it was gone. My father had cut it up with a chainsaw and burned it. Sold all the brass fittings for scrap too.
    Fuck I was dumb leaving it there but I didn't learn. I sold my 38 to him and he stiffed me for nearly 10 grand.
    I scored well with my parents............................. NOT!

Doc.

12. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

My Uncle had a 42' CC 56 model Sports fisher back in the 70's. Same basic style as this one but had outriggers and a tuna tower. Ran twin 325 hp Merc Crusiers. I worked as a mate and we took Business associates off shore fishing out of Jacksonville Fla. Some clients brought their personal assistance (Sweeties) with them and at times it became hard to look for bouy markers with two or three of them sunbathing on the fore deck. I advance from a novice baiter to a master on days like that. 14-16 hour days but always came home with plenty of left over booze, fish and extreamly good tips. Start preping the boat at 4:00 AM and then put her to bed around 8:00 PM. Lot of work just so people could fish for about six hours.

13. KY Boy

KY Boy

This one is a bit old for having a 427 ford, which a LOT of chris crafts do. But they always had some kind of pretty cool engine. WOrth a look for free...

14. flathead fred

flathead fred

run far away, I am a marine electrician, beyond the wooden boat horrors, these old flaoting jalopies are a wiring nightmare and fire waiting for the right minute. calling it a money pit is being polite

15. Frank

Frank

I know where a 66 is for sale at Lake Ray Hubbard in Dallas. Has twin 283's in it. The old gentlemen just can't work on it any more. Has a "diaper" on it because it leaks (the boat). After a certain point, about all you can do is scrap them out.

16. I read your bio, can't imagine you being worried about being in someones will! I'd love to be in your will! Got any single daughters?

17. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello...Not a problem to restore a classic CCC..This is a 1966 Chris Craft Connie..40'..wooden boats are not a problem if you maintain them, just like your car..I lived on this and enjoyed every minute do miss it..
    :D Duane:D

Attached Files:

18. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Nope, sorry...just BIG sons...salivating as they sit like buzzards..waiting for me fall out of the sky...or miss an underpass turn at 140mph...."gee dad, sure you don't wanna start smoking again" - "here, have another bowl of mashed potatoes dad" - bet you can't shut the engine off in the Cessna at 1500 ft in a dive and restart it before your unplanned incursion into earth" My wife will outlive us all - and she's not a car person or an airplane person.

dj

19. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

with all this new paint and such now, dont htey have some magical coating or paint for the wooden boats to make them impervious and not need hardly any work?

can you spray it with some sort of rhino lining? without the bumpyness....

20. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

"The second a boat hits the water it starts to sink.
    The harder you work the longer it takes."

Captain Dick of Muldoon Marine

21. Simon and Simon! :idea:

22. cornernfool

cornernfool

I had a 54 Chris with twin Hercules. Big flathead 6's, with dual updraft carbs. I'll bet this has the same unless it's been reoutfitted. My uncle repowered his boat when I was young, rolled the 2 426 wedge motors up a ramp, over the transom, and into the drink. I know where the channel is, want to go diving?

23. So you were a "Master Baiter"...????:D

24. Bugman

Bugman

Take it, rent a slip somewhere for a month, swipe the guages, and throw it on e-bay :)

25. cornernfool

cornernfool

No, take it, rent a slip, take the guages, insure it, take it for a ride with a row boat and a shot gun. Come home with the row boat and the shotgun. Check comes in the mail. Just Kidding

26. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Do the Skipper and Gilligan come with that, Or hey just throw in Mary Ann and I will take it!!!

27. Ramblur

Ramblur

My brother lost his 59 42' CC couple of years ago. Was repowered
    with twin 454 mercs, hauled ass for a 42 footer. I t was in Pa. and
    he came back to FL when one of the hurricanes was coming. Storm ended up in PA flooding the river it was on. Floating marina upstream
    broke loose and started collecting other marinas on the way to the
    Ohio river. Most didn't make it but his made it 5 miles to the Ohio
    and down it a ways before somebody caught it. Pretty tore up but
    they used it to tow a bunch of strays back. MY brother,only person
    I've ever known to make good $$ off his wooden boat.:rolleyes:
    BTW gauges did turn up missing...