Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Curious what all you hambers do for work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustypipes, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Amtrak Locomotive Engineer ( Stop, Look, & Listen at railroad crossings you hoodlums!! ) and part time pinstriping reject. :D

Joel

2. Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

Deputy Sheriff-Retired, Department of Defence Civilian for another 1 year and 10 months.
    Dennis

3. 4tford

4tford

I retired in 2003 from Chrysler I was a Senoir Manager in vehicle Engineering. Did all kinds of projects passenger car, Jeeps, Military (HUMVEE), Viper, and Prowler. Most of my Engineering assignments were on the Electrical end of the business.

4. lowburban

lowburban

I teach Chemistry and Physics to High School students. I also coach High school Softball and Volleyball. In softball we've been to the state tournament( last four teams) in 96,2000,2002, and 2003. We've been in the finals 3 times and won it once. We were also National High SChool coaching staff of the year in 2002. My Volleyball team is currently ranked 13th in our state. I do custom work ( suspensions and body mods) in a shop behind my house on the side to support my car /truck habit.

5. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Civil Designer, GIS operator, and end up being IT guru around here enough. Heading back to college in January.

6. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'm a amusement ride builder. Mostly carousels. Do everything from the mechanics and fabrication to hand carving the horses.
    Never thought I'd be doing this, but its been almost 20 years.

Attached Files:

jtan likes this.
  7. Stafford

Stafford
    from N. Georgia

Worked in construction for 20 years, then got the golden opportunity to teach construction in our county high school. been here 12 years and love it. I really enjoy most of the students. Like somebody else said, I wore out my back and knees and it got really hard to do what I had to do. Stafford

lc1963 likes this.
  8. jettwein

jettwein

Web Developer for Intuit, makers of TurboTax. Just switched roles to working on the professional series of products, but prior to that I was the lead developer for TurboTax for a year and change. Owned my own software company before that for 4 or so years. Basically, I'm a geek. :)

9. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

Locomotive engineer for Canadian Pacific Railway

10. sufoowt

sufoowt

Tool maker for about 20 years and Tool and gage calibrator for another 15 union factory work. Here in Michigan you wonder about your job everyday no fun. Find something you like regardless of the money cause you'll be at it a long time.

11. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

I'm Assistant service manager at a BMW dealer. Spent the last 10 years in High end/exotic cars. Porsche,Ferrari,Rolls,Lamborgini,Mercedes,Lotus and Vector. Wouldnt trade any of em for my 60 Olds.

12. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

They educated me to be a mechanical engineer. I own my own consulting engineering company (me, my wife, the cats and the computer) so I design HVAC, plumbing and medical gas systems for commercial and industrial projects. I used to work for a public utility designing changes for power plants including nuclear. I prefer working for myself. Its not a regular paycheck by any means (read steep peaks and valleys on the cash flow graph) but it sure beats the 145 mile daily commute I used to do to the nuclear plant and back. My commute now is downstairs. My wife teaches piano to beginners and she is also a recovering registered nurse. That grind burned her out. She doesn't admit it, but she really inspires the kids in music by making it fun. We also have a rental house that paid for our kids college education so they don't have student loans to pay off. Our son is also addicted with engineering, the computer software type. Our daughter, the communication major, is a TV news associate producer for a local station.
    What do you do?

13. Valentine

Valentine

I am a self taught Mechanical Engineer. I started few years ago as a Machinist while taking some classes hear and there. Now I manage an Engineering department and get to live the high life. HA HA! I also have a good welding background which I have found to be quite useful as well. I have about 8 years of programming history for industrial control systems as well. Kind of a jack of all trades if you will.

P.S. Looking for work in the Colorado or Oklahoma areas!

14. Plowboy

Plowboy

I am an agronomist for a fertilizer/chemical retailer. Basically we keep the weeds out of corn and beans and feed them so they grow. I also am in charge of the GIS mapping for fertility and keep all of our floaters running in the fall (they all have computers in them and vary the rate of fertilizer as you go across the field with GPS). That is how I get paid to goof off on the HAMB all day long. I don't have a computer at home so I can get some work done.

When I get bored sitting in the office I go drive around in my pickup truck and look at fields and sometimes I kick a driver out of the seat and drive one of these around just for kicks.

Attached Files:

15. Paul

Paul
    Editor

commercial construction building survey and layout
    been on bigger buildings in the city mostly
    right now I run a crew of six surveyors in the field
    building a one million square foot,
    one hundred million dollar
    multi purpose three tower high-rise

this one will have a grocery store, bank, restaurants, hotel, apartments, condos and misc retail with underground parking, all very high end chit..

mostly I paw through stacks of paper and delegate tasks

so much to do and so few people to do it for me :rolleyes:

16. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

WOW. some pretty interesting stuff.

i started in high end residential construction out of high school. had a couple other jobs in residential construction for a few years, worked at a suspension shop for a few years, then a blacksmith/fabrication shop and for the past 7 years i've been a part time employee for Generous Motors. i say part time cause i've been laid off so much. i've been at the Lansing Craft Centre for the last year and half building the Chevy SSR. i've worked in 4 plants in 7 years.

i've taken countless college and tech school classes in autobody repair starting when i was 15 and for the last 10 years i've had a part time business at home building custom cars from minitrucks to model As. mostly custom body work but quite a bit of air ride suspension work aswell. i'm a dealer for Airlift. i have'nt taken on too many customer jobs in a while cause i have'nt had my own ride on the road in about 3 years now. i'm trying to get my head on straight and become better at time management right now. which makes this a BIG waste of time right here.....

17. For the past 7 years I've been working for Diamler/Chrysler. New car launch projects and now a team leader...whatever the hell that is.
    Before that was the job at Nissan's industrial division as a modification tech. That was fun, a $50K fork lift could pull into my stall one day and leave as a $250K custom tool for some specific application 2 weeks later. That makes a guy feel he's earning every cent of his pay check.
    Prior to that was a career of working for dealers, selling parts and service, cabinet building and working as a technical rep for an aftermarket insturment and diagnostic manufacturer.

18. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Ok, spill it... what automotive performance company...

I am 'lead salesman' for a performance automotive warehouse. By lead salesman I mean I outsell the other 15 guys.... badly.

We sell all over the country and even have some overseas accounts. I even sell to some of the yahoos on here!

Before that I was on the counter of a speedshop on the beautiful south side of Chicago.

19. fancyboy

fancyboy

Mercedes-Benz Tech, and vintage road racing mechanic.

20. mad-cad

mad-cad

My wife and I own a Property management business in a high end ski resort,In layman terms I detail cars and carry out maintenance on the houses and cars and chauffeur the rich folks around when they are in town.I'm also a nightclub door supervisor(bouncer).When it's the off season I get to work on my stuff whenever,the 'on' season tends to be a bit hectic.

21. I am the International Distribution Manager for a major Bicycle Manufactuer.

I need a new job with better pay, ha,ha dont we all.

22. Dan

Dan

teacher/coach and firefighter

23. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

Stunt Cock.....

Ok, not really, but you can imagine what'd it be like if I was!

I've been building body jewelry since '95;
    A Body Piercer since '96;
    I also do custom leather work (punk rock/ bondage gear, mostly custom belts), since about '93;

Kritz and I are partners in Flint's coolest tattoo/piercing shop, since '99. (Ok, it's the ONLY cool shop!:eek: )

jtan likes this.
  24. Had to laugh when I saw this one as I've been saying the same line for years "towel boy in a cat house"

30 years as the Senior Electron Microscopist and Metallography Laboratory Coordinator for the largest US titanium producer.

25. Sean

Sean

I work at Apple Computers. I work in iPod and iTunes development. I currently have no life.....

26. Mootz

Mootz

I surf the HAMB all day long at your expense working for the government. Hey, someones gonna waste your tax dollars, it might as well be a hamber!

Mootz

27. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

I'm very lucky to run a rod shop for a friend of mine.

28. 5 years as a heavy damage appraiser for the largest mobile home Insurance company. Basically a claim adjuster. I handle large mobile home, motorhome, travel trailer, and watercraft losses.

Spent 7 months in Florida last year, heading to Texas next week.

Machinist for 2 years before that.

10 yrs as a bicycle mechanic before that....

29. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Service dept at a VW dealer,have been for 4 years, it sucks and Im going to finish school next year and do something else.

30. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I make Hot Rod Movies.