Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Curious what all you hambers do for work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustypipes, Sep 28, 2005.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I teach digital basket weaving.

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I'm involved in waste management.....

Steve Ray likes this.
  3. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I'm a Ford tech, and I hate fords, go figure. Plus, if no one's figured it out yet, it's hard as hell to make a living at working anymore.

Ned Ludd and clunker like this.
  4. D2Denny

D2Denny

After college spent 36 years in fleet maintenance management as Shop manager and Area maintenance manager for CF and Yellow. Got tired of goals and quotas, so up and quit, bought my own truck and hauled steel as an owner operator for 8 years. 2 1/2 years ago retired, sold truck and trailer and used the proceeds to fund my hotrod build.

klleetrucking likes this.
  5. Thumper

Thumper

Recreation Director for Sunny Bunns nudist resort...

LOU WELLS and OahuEli like this.
  6. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I worked 12 years as an auto mechanic then 35 years as a heavy truck and industrial equipment mechanic. Now I'm retired and don't do a damn thing outside of a little horizontal engineering.

7. blackout78666

blackout78666

image.jpeg Artist, fabricator, sign painter, janitor. I own a sign shop with a heavy focus on old school styled and hand built neon signs no Cnc or computer aided shit (90%). Perfect mix of design, engineering, welding, sheetmetal fabrication, and custom painting. I love it. I hate running a business. You have to be half insane to work for the worst boss in the world, yourself. Ha

kiwijeff, mgtstumpy, Tim and 3 others like this.
  8. Software Engineer
    I always get a laugh when people I work with find out what my hobby is and comment "you're a car guy" really?

volvobrynk and OahuEli like this.
  9. elba

elba

Retired twice . I worked as a mechanic, maintenance inspector for Delta for 27 years and a maintenance inspector for U.S. Army on Chinooks for 7 years. I have a 49 Dodge panel truck , 4 Corvairs and the airplane in the picture.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Architect.
    Just as my taste in cars peaks at around 1930, my taste in architecture tops out at around 1300 ...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  11. cfmvw

cfmvw

Over the years I've done sheet metal work, TIG welding, machining, plumbing and refrigeration systems, and even some design work, along with a few college degrees in Mechanical Design, Manufacturing Technology, and Architectural and Engineering Design paid for by various employers who never capitalized on their investment. Now I'm a machinist for the Navy, working on nuclear submarines :)

12. 33essex

33essex

Tractor trailer driver 19 years hauling just about anything. Got tired of it for now I turn wrenchs. Freed up some free time. Long hours in driving truck.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Prostitute. Haven't made a cent yet.

kiwijeff and j-jock like this.
  14. Conservator of Paintings, it is a fancy title that means I restore fine art oil paintings for museums and collectors. Been doing it nearly 18 years. I do work for nearly every major museum in the Southeast. I work on everything from crappy $100 paintings done by someone's great great aunt for private individuals to my personal record of $103 million museum piece masterworks. If someone loves it enough to pay me to work on it I will do my best on anything that comes through the door and I treat them all as if they were Rembrandts. And like many of you who buy an old car, fix it up and flip it on the side I do the same with old paintings. I find them at auction or online or sometimes they find me, make them look like a million bucks (even if they are only worth a few thousand) and them put them out to auction and see what I get.

rjones35, kiwijeff, LOU WELLS and 4 others like this.
  15. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

Taste tester at the local brewery

16. prpmmp

prpmmp

I hear Ya!! You probably get f$%ked alot!!!:eek: I used to be a brass pole at a strip club! Got closed down and gutted,Now I,m at a Firehouse house:eek:!! Pete

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. Since this thread started and I posted in 05, I have done a few things. Pretended to be a mortgage broker while really starting a bicycle company with my boss (Strider bikes), did some advertising and have spent the last few years in the trucking industry like my dad and brother.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. scdurs

scdurs

Civil engineer for a municipal water & sewer utility. I'm the dude who screws up traffic all summer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. John is my name and architecture was my game. I called it, "architorture" at times....now retired.

kiwijeff, j-jock and Ned Ludd like this.
  20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Glad you could retire! I can't - and I think it has something to do with my favourite architecture dating from 1300 ...

31Dodger likes this.
  21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

22. gas & guns

gas & guns

Over the years... certified gas dispensing tech, licensed gun dealer and gunsmith, licensed auto mechanic, self employed carpenter, electrician, plumber, built a few scooters. Worked for a friend at his junque yard for 3 yrs. Been working as a maintenance mechanic for an automotive core supplier for last 10 yrs. I maintain about 25 fork trucks, both gas and electric, and building maintenance at a 160,000 sq. ft. facility.
    Done it all over the years, hell I even removed a tube of Gyne Lotrimin from a toilet trap once.

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Electronics technician with the postal service.Before that 25 yes HVAC TECH.

24. My mentor's best line: "An architect retires when the box he's in is placed 6-feet under." Went out hovered over his drawing board at 87. At 55 I feel I still have another 15+ to go in the profession before I can hang it up (hell, I'm redlining drawings and editing specs right now-on a Sunday when I should be at our local all-Ford day), and at the rate our "glorious recovery" is going, my mentor's comment may come true.

kiwijeff and Ned Ludd like this.
  25. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

Spent 36 years as a Patternmaker. Place closed coming up on 3 years ago. Went to work for myself until Obama care got involved. I have a complete machine shop in my garage and now work full time at O'rielly's to pay my health insurance. Go figure............

wicarnut and Bandit Billy like this.
  26. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I was in the Navy for 12 years (Seabees)....and then worked in logging as 'choker-setter' and 'log-brander' with Louisiana Pacific within off-shore island logging in South-East Alaska....and then worked as a mechanic/fabricator specializing in chip-truck semi-trailers and repair (and lots of brakes and constant tire work) in southern Oregon. I eventually moved to New Mexico as an independent logger with the U.S.F.S. I didn't have much time or the opportunity to play/tinker with cars until I finally retired in 2012 and moved here to Colorado

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I work for a major satellite TV provider. I work in the monitoring department looking out for problems and escalating outages. Before that I worked for a fast food joint for too long. Many people ask me why I don't become a mechanic or open a restoration shop. (I come from a restoration background.) I always tell them that if I had to work on somebody else's car for a living I would not enjoy them as much or be motivated to work on my own projects. I will take on an occasional antique car job to help pay for parts and so on. There is not many people who still work on their early cars in town, so I am lucky that a lot of people in town know I have some ability with model Ts and As and they will ask me to help with their cars.

Raiman1959 and volvobrynk like this.
  28. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Since posting initially, I have retired from 35 years in Aviation Maintenance.

Moved to South America.
    Ecuador, to be specific.

29. I currently am the only production employee at a small brewery. That means I'm the janitor, millwright, carpenter, plumber, cellarman, dockworker, mechanic, chemist, electrician, engineer, occasional barkeep and get to work with the owners making about 250 gallons of really good beer at a time! :)

The pay sucks, the hours are pretty much all over the place and I get to put out fires and clean up messes for a team of six owners!

...I forgot, with six unique "Type-A" personalities owning this place, I have become quite the politician as well! ;)

When I'm not doing that, I'm a substitute teacher for the three local schools.

Then I'm one of the very few mechanics in our small community and try to help folks out with repairs at reasonable prices.

I run a men's bible study in the fab shop at the high school as well.

Oh, I almost forgot...I also freelance for the local chamber of commerce for big events in the town.

Not bad for a stay-at-home dad of three kids! ;)

On the rare occasion that I have a day off, I get to touch one of my own cars...

kiwijeff, clunker and Ned Ludd like this.
  30. upload_2016-6-27_14-35-54.jpeg [​IMG]

I harvest lake ice