Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/t Corvairs???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old wood 51, Nov 16, 2007.

1. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

I know it's o/t but are their any corvair guys out there? a buddy of mine can't find a distributor for his. ( I don't know squat about them and he knows even less):confused: :confused:

2. Not O.T. Fire away Sir! Sorry I can't help you. I recently scrapped a 66.:(

3. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

man there is a guy in my neigborhood with one all customed out made me say the phrase "thats a bas ass lokking little corvair" for the first time in my life. If I see him out Ill ask for ya.

4. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

I can help with the dist. PM me.
    Bill

5. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

On Topic as far as I know -pre 64- They were all over the "little books" in the early 60's - the neat new thing to customize.
    I liked the mid 60's better, when they started making them into blown bbc funny cars.

6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Ive got a 65 midengine vair ive been building for about 20 years. It's mechanically done, just needs body work, all the glass put back in and some paint. Ive got the original vair engine parts lying around if you dont find what you need.

7. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I have a '63 that I bought for the motor, gonna part the rest out.

8. Try Clark's Corvair Parts. They are on the web.

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If all else fails, I've still got a few Corvair distributors lying around from my 'vair days.

10. the place to get any corvair part is the following:
    Clark's Corviar Parts
    Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts
    they ship worldwide.

WINGED AVENGER

11. Choptop

Choptop

Clarks Corvairs
    Corvair Underground

12. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

Clarks corvairs also has 63-65 Riviera parts go figure, with a name like clarks corvairs I'd always imediatly think they would have Buick parts.

13. repoguy

repoguy

[​IMG]

* official thread hijacking in progress *

On a different corvair topic:

Anyone out there in Hamb-land ever dropped a front wheel drive V8 into the back of one???

My best friend bought a beater 63 'vair and we are planning to drop the pancake 6 out of it and shoe-horn it into the back of junker bug & build a cheapo baja/off-roader out of it (and then going out and beating it to death). But more importantly we are thinking about replacing the 'vair motor with a front-wheel drive caddy northstar or Lincoln 4.6 setup (depending on whether we impound a caddy or a lincoln first - gotta love being in the towing business - free engines and trannys galore!!!)

Anyone done a fwd V8 conversion like this??? I've driven a few northstar caddies, and even weighing in anywhere from 3800 to over 4000 pounds, I was fairly impressed with the acceleration. Dropping that same engine into a 2300 pounder, even leaving the engine completely stock, would have to be a hoot. Either of those engines can make A LOT of hp with some mods.

Anyone have any input on this???

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  14. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

You ought to be able to buy a distributor or parts to rebuild one from any NAPA store. Clarks Corvair can sell you anything to build an entire Corvair and I used them often when I had my collection but for most mechanical parts NAPA carries them.I have had to wait a day for delivery on a couple parts but most came right off the shelf

15. kustomrodder53

kustomrodder53

Homebuilt / hobby aircraft guys are using corvair engines with aftermarket magnetos. I know I've seen it a time or two while surfing the web. might be cool...

16. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are still looking, I just parted out a 66 convertible and have lots of stuff left. At last look, I think I have 4 distributors left in various conditions.
    Clarks is a good source but the better source would be the Corvair ranch in Gettysburg PA. THey have about 1000 vairs sitting in the yard, they use the Clarks price list and discount from there.
    Good luck with your search.
    For the guy who asked about the front wheel drive in the rear of a Corvair, there are tons of them. Check out V8 vairs. You probably will have to do a google search.
    There was a rear v8 engine vair on e-bay not too long ago. 500 CI Cadillac with a blower..it was neat as hell...and I would imagine...very fast.