Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T but not irrelevant- non HAMB hobbies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ka-zoo, Dec 29, 2006.

1. everyone has such cool hobbies! i feel like im not doing much..

im a total work-a-holic, i work for a movie studio here in hollywood- on a show, i love working and its a new world of fun every day, at the studio you can see just about anything. aside from that, i like wood working, gun shooting and drinking. photography is also very interesting to me as is psychology and sociology. my plans are to go back to school after 2 years off coming up next fall.

2. Mojo

Mojo

Like a lot of people here, i'm into model cars. Started as a kid, and never got out of it. About 300 1/25th cars, and about 20 1/8th scale cars. I only mess with 1/8th scale anymore, and it's to the point that i'm getting serious about scratch-building parts.

I love to photoshop pics, anything from picture restoration, to modifing pics, to creating test shots for webpages i'll never make. I'm into playing with sounds, trying to make music but mostly taking common sounds and making them sound musical. Failed attempt at being a musician!

I'm into computer case mods, not the neon lights and water cooling stuff, but putting computers into other objects. I made one living room end table into a case to hold two computers, but i've abandoned it to make a larger one to hold three. I also collect old Packard Bell computers, I have three of their old grey/white cases from the early 90's. I'm modifing one tower right now to hold a modern ATX style motherboard and power supply. I basically cut the shit out of the inner structure, and hack it so new crap will bolt in. Not easy, as they used a proprietary design back in the early 90's. Fun though.

3. Holy shit! The ONLY difference in our hobbies is that I peel hamsters now that they've closed all the Piggly Wigglys 'round here and I use a an adding machine to type my letters to the government... Why make it easy on them.

4. mikey1610

mikey1610
    from San Diego

My Kid
    Photography
    Surfing
    Skating
    Snowboarding
    But running my clothing business takes most of my time these days so everything else suffers. (Except my boy!)

5. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

My father has long been a Gibson guitar collector, historian, and builds custom acoustic guitars, so i've kinda followed suit. When i'm not im my shop working on the hot rods, i'm in his working with him. Much more intricate work when building guitars. Wood and abalone are unforgiving, where metal you can build back up if you fuck up....wood ya cant, so you learn to be very carefull and think way ahead. The guitar collection between dad and I is getting rediculous, and mom is constanly bitching that theirs nowhere to sit in the house cause every seat or couch has guitars sitting in it....lol
    Other than that and hot rods, drinking, women, tattoos, and the occasional 80hr work week keep me busy enough.

6. Mine are videography, model cars, slot car racing, landscaping and home remodeling, listening to music and I'm getting into photography now.

7. rixrex

rixrex

From where you are do you head for New Jersey to surf? I hear its pretty good there..I'm going to make a trip east in the spring to visit friends and want to hit some good spots....

8. RODMAN58

RODMAN58
    from VIRGINIA

I build custom bikes. It's the creating part. Once they are done they are gone. I like OLD stuff. Doesn't have to be car related. I just enjoy
    the aura of history. I like be reminded of quiet, simpler time. Then I snap back and want to go fast and see old things become new again!
    Rodman

9. Besides building/driving lowriders,hot rods and kustoms for what seems like forever.........

I have been doing Graffiti Art for the last 24 years(since i was 13)What started out as vandalism has developed into gallery shows across the country and collectors worldwide.I have also collected nearly 20,000 photo's of walls and trains along the way that i will eventually be turned into a book.Because of the Graffiti background,i have been lucky enough to get into somewhat related stuff.Band logo's/handbills,storefront murals and graphic design are some of the other art related stuff i enjoy.
    My art collection is growing out of control.i have been collecting Lowbrow,Kustom Kulture and Graffiti Art for about 15 years now.I also collect vintage spray paint from the 60's-70's.
    Photography also something i got into at an early age.Pops bought me my first "real" camera(Canon AE1)and i now have a pretty good collection of vintage photography equiptment.
    I am also an active member of E.Clampus Vitus.ECV is a historical organization dating back to the 1850's gold rush days.

10. ZOOMIE TWO-SHOES

ZOOMIE TWO-SHOES

Besides the car addiction I collect toy trains, mostly prewar tinplate stuff. Also spend time boating with the family.

11. vpoint

vpoint
    from Finland

Playing drums in a band http://cdbaby.com/cd/supercharged

Watching movies and concert DVD:s. Just built up my own home theater at basement with DLP projector and 100" screen plus asskicking surround system.

Travelling. I´ve been in States once in 1989 and visited then my relatives in Brookings and Lake Norden SD and San Clement CA.

Go and party at local motorcycle clubs.

Learning myself now about pinstriping and airbrushing.

12. I like Hard Rock Cafe hats - looking for one from Rekjavik and Beirut yet. Also, old Boy Scout memorabilia, went through as a kid and kept collecting....

I also have a vast collection of four wheeled projects. More than I can build in three lifetimes, and would trade most of them for a decent driver:)

13. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

I have 1000s of toy cars and vintage auto advertisements...I love old movies and music...camping, fishing, I kind of like astronomy, but mostly I like anything old.

14. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I cycle hobbies and come back to them over time.
    I'm big on the cars thing now for the third time around. The first time was racing my 442 in the 70's. The second time was restoreing 36 trucks in the 80's. Now its is customs and Hotrods.

Past and partially present hobbies also include:
    Everquest (7 years now)
    Collecting Stamps coins and Cartoon glasses from the 70's
    Antiques
    N-scale Trains, especially steam engines
    British comedy and Sci-fi Television
    Star Trek (videos and collectables)
    Parrots (I've been owned by an African Gray parrot for 18 years now)
    Hamb Radio (WB6AQR)
    RC Cars
    Robotics
    Guitars - (Just Learning but it seems a futile endeavor)

God this list makes me feel old.

15. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i used to like bicycles, but like tman, i think i have worked in the industry to care much about them as a hobby anymore. i do like to think about how to make them more viable urban transportation though.

and i make art. mostly printmaking.

16. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

17. TooManyProjects

TooManyProjects

I hope those are new rubbers. Used rubbers would be way too gross... :D

Happy New Year everyone.

18. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

on my boat fishing off the r.i. c.t. coast every weekend spring thru fall.stripers,fluke,blackfish,blue crabs,clams.i live for it. riding my harley.into antiques too early 1900s.working on my cars gets me thru the winters.

19. Gregory J. Liebau

Gregory J. Liebau
    from Kalifornia

I'm a member of the SCA and have started going the combat stuff, myself.

I'm a history major and am very interested in reproduction ancient and Medieval arms and armour. I've gone through lots of swords and bits of armour over the last few years (I'm only 18) and have made my fair share of stuff, too. I'm selling most of what was a 14th century suit of armour at the moment in order to build my car. I'll get back into the stuff later!

My dad and I also shoot original percussion rifles. He's been collecting guns for years, and has thousands invested in a handful of antique firearms (meaning between 100-250 years of age.) Also has his share of modern armament.

I am the administrator of the largest English-speaking forum dedicated to research of the Bronze Age, which was the period in European/Middle Eastern history spanning roughly between 2500 BC and 1000 BC. It's called the Bronze Age Center. You can look it up, it'll show on most search engines fairly quickly! Other forums I frequent include the Armour Archive and Myarmoury.com. I'm a member of the Armour Research Society.

I'm also an avid Lord of the Rings and Star Wars fan.

Beyond H.A.M.B. related car stuff, I really like European sports cars, and my two drivers have been a '73 mercedes 450 SL and a '76 Jaguar XJ-S with a 350/350 Chevy conversion.

Cheers!

-Gregory-

20. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

I ride BMX, Camping/off-roading and do some R/C stuff, mainly 1/10 scale offroad and electric planes right now. I used to race R/C alot but have taken some time off lately. I need to concentrate on one thing. Those are my other main hobbies.
    If i would have taken a break from R/C sooner i would have alot of my automotive stuff done along time ago.

21. de-fenders

de-fenders

Camping (scout leader in what little extra time I have), antiques, and gas station collectibles (spark plugs, maps, cans, signs, 2 pumps):cool:

22. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

Just one other:
    the wife and I are 'wine snobs' and go to wine tastings
    I dont have any other hobbies other than that

23. Besides the cars themselves, I pick up anything that coincides with the culture. Signs, neons, posters, etc. Shiftknobs, emblems, hood ornaments, etc. Funiture, clothing(hats & ties), records, etc.

But my non-car stuff...

[size=+]VINTAGE BASEBALL MEMORABILIA[/size](especially Yankees, Mickey Mantle and Tulsa Oilers minor league)... Ask anyone who knows me, they'll tell ya I'm a baseball nut.
    Going to Spring Training in Tampa to watch the Yankees
    Going to watch the Yankees in August on my birthday wherever they're playing

Guitar playing

Reading the Bible, Biographies, and Calvin & Hobbes

Reverend Jake

24. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Homebrew Beer and collect coins. That makes me a drunk nerd.

25. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I collect model cars, mostly 50's Kustoms or anything with white walls on it, station wagons, and police cars. I also have several scrap books filled with 40's, 50's and early 60's kustom and hot rod pictures, flyers, post cards, ETC.

26. ka-zoo

ka-zoo

*bump* ?
    anybody else???

27. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I am a car tard-my wife hates it. but aside from that...

I, my friends, am an excellent cook. I am remodeling my house with my Wife right now, but once that is done, it's just done.

I like to teach myself stuff. right now it's tig welding. getting better daily!
    before that, it was masonry and carpentry.

and as some of you know, I pride myself on being a wealth of perfectly useless information.:D

28. Degreaser

Degreaser

I play drums and masturbate like its going out of style.

29. ADDING MACHINE (slapping palm on forehead)!!!! Cypher-riffic Batman!!! Why didn't I think of that. I'd been trying to use an abacus but the print funtion won't work....

30. Crease

Crease

drummer, mountain biking (trying not to get fat.....er), still enjoy skating when I get the chance, spend too much time on a message board, love lookin for old junk