Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T: but how many volts does the old hand crank phone put out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jennings Racing, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Jennings Racing

Jennings Racing

My dad had a hand crank gen. for an old phone given to him last night.When I got to my dads house his friend was cranking the handle and thold me to touch it.I said f-you you touch it.

2. Military TA-312s crank out 100 vac ringing voltage. Have wired a few toilet seats with them with terrific results.

3. I heard you could run wire from the phone into a pond and kill fish, but I doubt it. I still wouldn't touch 'em, though.

4. jetmek

jetmek

sounds about right. i think the old W-E model i have puts out about 50vac. the rest uses a 6v lantern battery.

5. 47studes

47studes

they had one of those on the movie jackass 2 looked like it hurt

6. belair

belair

My dad said when he was a kid, (late 40's) every Friday the principle of his school would come out at recess with a bucket of water, one of the phone cranks, and put a quarter in the bucket. He said the kids couldn't wait to line up for a turn, and he never saw any one get that quarter. They were so poor, it was probably the only electricity they had.

7. I was wiring up the phone lines in my old house when somebody called, and it gave me a shock. I think the ring voltage is around 50 volts now, but it might have been more in the old days.

8. rixrex

rixrex

Enough to bare the wires, take it down to the creek, and crank some fish stunned up to the surface!....

9. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

I can tell you first hand that they work great for getting earthworms out of the ground for fishbait. I used to connect one to two metal rods and shove them into the ground, crank a few seconds and pick up all the bait I needed.

10. Jennings Racing

Jennings Racing

I'll have to try the fish thing with it. It would work for getting nightcawlers out of the ground to,but if you have the hand crank gen. you don't need worms.LOL

11. Jennings Racing

Jennings Racing

op not fast enough LOL

12. gdub

gdub

I had a football coach who "fished" with one all the time.

13. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Most old telephone magneto produces from 6 to 110 volts ..but what do I know.. If using for Fishing it will stun them big time

Attached Files:

14. chaddilac

chaddilac

enough to bring the fish up from the bottom!!

15. RacerRick

RacerRick

Modern phones ring with up to 90 volts.

Here's a tip. Don't be sitting at a old bell screw down board stripping the tip and ring with your teeth when someone calls. It will ring YOUR bell pretty good.

16. kropduster

kropduster

i keep one layin around just in case i run out of dynomite:D

17. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I have a friend who has one in an aluminum box. To crank it you have to hold down the box. It's wired to the box. That SOB!

18. Jennings Racing

Jennings Racing

Thats funny,I just blow pepsi all over my keyboard

19. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Never thought of that, but I was a kid at the time, LOL!

Of course dynamite is faster but not nearly as subtle.

actually I wish I had one today, I'd like to see what fish are left in my parents pond.

20. chaddilac

chaddilac

...and I blew Dr. Pepper on mine.... bought fell off my chair... that's funny!!!

21. Jennings Racing

Jennings Racing

when I was a kid we use to use an old lamp cord taped to two steel rods with wood handles to get worms for fishing,but you had to have an ext.cord to do that.We use to run around my grandma's back yard shocking worms out of the ground to fish the river 1/4 mile away from her house.My grandma thought we were crazy.

22. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Volt wise i dont know but they will zap you like a charged up Magneto anouther fun one my uncle did run some inconspicuious wires into the company shitter and wait till someone sits down

23. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Those are fun, run some wires in a bowl of milk for that worthless neibors cat that loves to sleep on your glossy painted Hot Rod, what can i say out in the sticks that's the kind of politicly incorrect fun we have YEHAW YALL

24. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Their not too bad, atleast the one I actually got ahold of, some of my family used to go fishing with one (and caught a giant catfish once). The Jackass 2 thing was kinda exageratted I think.

25. Nothing like the soft fleshy part of your hand resting across an old 66 block trying to punch a wire down...BLAM!!! THAT TINGLES!:eek: Stu

26. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I've got to get a aluminum box for mine! Ty for the tip.:D