Register now to get rid of these ads!

o/t - bicycles, who makes cool ones.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by repoguy, May 19, 2007.

1. repoguy

repoguy

Yeah,yeah, I know. It's a gay post, and I'm gay for posting it.

....but since the state of Florida has decided that I need some time off the road to ponder the err of my ways, I've decided to break down and get a bicycle to ride since I live like 2 blocks off bayshore blvd, which is essentially a 7 mile long sidewalk on Tampa bay with lots of stores and bars & stuff in the immediate area, so everything I need is pretty close, and I guess riding a bike is better than walking. This bites. I REALLY miss driving. I feel like I'm 15 again. But you know how it is, gotta make the lemons into lemonade. Hell, maybe I'll actually enjoy it.

Some of you guys are into bicycles, so I figured I'd ask since it is certainly a subject on which I am ignorant.

I'd like something something kinda retro & cool, but simple. Where should I look?

2. chopdtop

chopdtop

Why get a new bike that is retro looking when you can just get a "real" old bike?

Check Craigslist and other places like that. Post on there that you are looking for an old bike. Ask around, have friends spread the word that you're looking for anb old bike.

I've got a '70 Huffy tandem and a 50's Schwinn for free.
    The tandem was given to me and I had to buy a lot of 8 bikes to get the 50's bike. But after selling the other bikes the 50's bike was free.

Some people are telling me the 50's bike I have isn't a Schwinn just because the grips say Schwinn. But the guy I got it from said it was his when he was a kid and he's never changed anything on it except for the tires.

3. photofink

photofink

These are pretty cool, and they have a beer holder in back
    [​IMG]

4. 53SledSleeve

53SledSleeve

They don't make em anymore, but check out some of the Dyno Kustom Kruiser series. They're readily available on ebay and craigslist. I picked up a Roadster a few years back. Basically it looks like a beach cruiser, but WAY lower and stretched way out with a springer fork. Cool shit! Also. www.feltracing.com Check out the cruiser series. Cool stuff. And.....http://www.myspace.com/crowncycleco. That's the only thing I could find on them...but you can't beat a company that uses Melinda Myles and Sabina Kelly as models. PM me if you want some more info on some cool bikes.

5. Glen

Glen

Ask Denise, this is a real rocket!

Attached Files:

6. photofink

photofink

7. Big Dad

Big Dad

www.electabike.com

I like , straight 8 and Rat Fink

but ..rat rod is cool too , check out the cruiser line up

8. Big Dad

Big Dad

9. lewislynn

lewislynn

Where I live, any adult male riding around on a bicycle is a suspected burglar...no joke.

10. repoguy

repoguy

Dude, you're right. What the hell am I thinking? Not like I'm shopping for surgical equipment here. Used (and even a little beat) will fit the bill nicely. Good call. This post probably just saved me 3 bones, so it is officially not gay anymore.

Fotofink, I left a message on that one you posted.

Thanks for the input.

11. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Buy a Giant, best bikes, best value, best variety...there are really good Giant dealers in Florida, and the company is run by Skip Hess Jr...his dad was a serious drag racer in the 60s and he and his dad ran Mongoose.

Cris

12. metwiz

metwiz
    from Salinas CA

13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Felt has some awesome cruisers. So does Electra. Although some felts are hard to get. I run a bike shop in Cedar Park, Tx and I'm a dealer for both. 10% off to HAMB'ers. Pm me if you want.

14. repoguy

repoguy

15. Had never heard of them, so I dug around & found their site.....some kick ass stuff on there, I'm really liking this one....

[​IMG]

16. Yep, I got looked at wierd when I had to ride my Schwinn Stingray to work a few times last month. lol (long story) Usually when I did ride the bike I got looked at wierd.
    David

17. chopdtop

chopdtop

I always get looked at weird when I ride the tandem. ALONE.:D

Eventually I might restore or customize the 50's bike, but for now I just ride it the way it is.

Attached Files:

18. [​IMG]
    Diamond Daves dad found this Firestone bike,then bought a motor kit from Kingsmotorbikes.com. It's cool. Go to there website and they have other bikes with the motor kits on them.

19. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

if you're looking for a new bike, check out the Felt cruisers. i have one and really like it. there is too much great old stuff to even begin...

-scott noteboom

20. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

Mad Wagon makes a cool cruiser.

21. Crease

Crease

SE Racing has reissued the Quadangle. They're pretty inexpensive too. Freaked me outwhen I saw one.

22. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Bryan builds custom cruiser bikes and he's a hamber too! Check out the pics on his site. Top-notch...

coopercruisers.com

23. I have an Electra 3-Speed Rat Fink. It is the most comfortable cruiser I have ridden.

24. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

You mean like this guy?
    [​IMG]

25. TBARA Wildchild

TBARA Wildchild

One place you might want to look or some one you might ask is your garbage man!! I built a cool beach bike from pieces thrown away!!! you can't beat the price FREE!!!!! Also check your police
    dept. They have tons of stolen bicycles they auction off. If your garbage dept has a special (metal or white goods pickup) they sometimes have a storage space at or near their dump site.
    Hope this helps.

26. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Kali and our RF cruiser.....comfortable doesn't begin to describe the ride....she has scoliosis and it is the only bike that won't kill her to ride...

This shot is pre-scallops and stripes.....going to repaint it now that we endorse Roth Metalflakes.....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  27. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

What would a kustom bike be without a kustom seat by the legendary Fatlucky?
    "Frankenstein/ Green Fuz" seat by the master...always keep your seat combed and polished.....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  28. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Get ahold of FoMoCo_MoFo here on the board, he owns Crown Cycles. Nice bikes. And he may even give a HAMB discount.

29. Mike53

Mike53

Try www.ratrodbikes for some ideas,also freakbikenation has a site,nothin happenin there yet tho.