Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T: Been gone for a while....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ken Carvalho, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Well I am back on here, BUT it will probably be "hit-n-miss" for a while as ALL things have been put on hold!!
    My Mom had a stroke a while back and she lives in Florida, while I live in Washington. Exact opposites corners of the states!!!
    Well, I flew (I HATE flying!!!) down there and packed her up and loaded up her RV, rented a trailer and loaded her truck and as many of her belongings that we could and I moved her into my house, here in Spokane, Wa.
    We put her Florida home on the market and moved our 13Y/O in with our 3 Y/O bedroom so my Mom could have her own bedroom.
    It was a very LOOONG slow trip here but we made it safely!!! My MOM is NOT the MOM I remember!!! She & my DAD divorced 25 years ago and she has been on her own and taking care of herself since then!!!!! She has retired from 2 jobs and has travelled ALL OVER the world working for the Post Office AND was in the Military!!!!! I have a HUGE amount of respect for my MOM but wow "what a change"!!!!
    I guess I never expected her to get "old and frail"!!!!!

Don't mean to dump this out but I just got home last night, and it is finally "sinking in"!!!!! I will check in from time to time to say hi and see whats up, but my Hot Rod/Low-Rider/Harley love affairs have come to a stop for the moment!!! Thanks for listening....Ken (chopperimpala)

2. I fully understand. I went to California several years ago and packed up my Aunt and brought her here. The move was difficult but the continuing care and attention was a lot more than I expected. Even so, I was glad to do it. When we were young they took care of us. And if we are lucky, we get an opportunity to pay them back. Your a good son Chopperimpalla!

3. mrdodge

mrdodge

Amen to both of above. A son who cares and the opportunity to help some one who helped you. We are going through a similar thing with my wifes father although unfortunately he has terminal cancer. At least his last days are being spent surrounded by family. All kudos to you. So many don't care enough about their parents until it's too late